Fuel filter change 1.6FSI. Very Easy!

chb

Just changed the fuel filter on my 2003 1.6FSI and was amazed how easy it was to do.
I had read on here and in the Audi service manuals that there were several different filter types.

ASK in Kippax supplied me with a Mahle KL-84 for the princely sum of £5.80. I actually thought they had supplied the wrong filter as according to the manuals later cars take a paper insert.
So this morning I jacked up the passenger side, removed the heatsheild and scratched my head for 5 minutes wondering where the filter was.

I then looked accross to the drivers side of the car, and saw the filter, without heatsheild (I think mine might be missing, should there be one each side?).

The KL-84 is like a slightly skinny coke can with an infeed at one end and an out feed at the other.
The filter is held in place by a plastic strap that secures by one torx screw.

So...
Remove the torx screw to loosen the filter.
The couplings on the filter are quick release, and the system is not pressurised. You just squeed the tab on the coupling and wiggle/pull gently and it will remove from the filter.
Do the same at the other side so that both infeed and outfeed pipes are removed.
The filter will then slide out.

Fit the new filter in reverse.

Start car.

Drive.

Easy peasy!

I am an idiot.
I forgot that not only had I replaced my filter in 2009, I had also written a guide of how to do it above!!!!
I was just looking on the forum for instructions to do this job (having just bought a filter from Audi!) and came accross my own post!!!!
I am too young to be senile.

Doh!

Replaced my fuel filter today.

Have 1 question. My filter came with black plastic clips at each end. I couldn`t get the in and out hose connectors to fit over these and thought for a minute that perhaps the clips off the old filter were stuck inside the hose connectors but on closer inspection i dont believe they were. Given there is already a ridge on the spouts of the filter I took the clips off and it seemed the hose clicked into place o.k

HengstFuelFilter.jpg

Has anyway else encountered this? I wonder if other filters come without the clips on them? Perhaps they are there/required for other vehicles.

Last edited:
The plastic bits are just to stop muck getting in before fitting...pull em off and throw them in the bin.

The plastic bits are just to stop muck getting in before fitting...pull em off and throw them in the bin.

No, not talking about plastic caps at the ends of the spouts. Am referring to the ones sitting on the ridges of the spouts in the pic above (just below G, and above F)

Olly1, I've recently bought 1.6 FSi filters from Audi and also cheaper Alternatives from Europarts.. One from Audi didn't come with those plastic bits, but the Alternative ones did.. I agree, maybe one of the other vehicles they fit needs 'em.. But for the A2 they've got to come off..

Dan.

Sorry Olly, wasn't a cheapskate so bought genuine Audi ones ;-P

Hadn't seen these plastic bits on any pressfit filter before (MY V40 has a similar fitment).

Cheers guys, Actually I`ve seen on the back of the box today that the fuel filter also fits a lupo so maybe that needs the plastic clips.

Next time i think I`ll just buy from audi but unless its listed on a site like Stoke Audi, I usually just buy from Eurocarparts as I can`t be bothered having to call someone. The joys of the online world i guess..

I found this thread last night as i ordered a new fuel filter for my 1.6 fsi model. Originally i found another thread which showed a paper insert filter and i was all prepped for doing that job. But when my filter arrived and it looked like the one in the picture in this thread i was surprised. It is so easy to fit. I did as the post said here to jack up the car (driver side rear) then i stuck an axle stand under it for safety. I had a trouble finding the release buttons for the pipes but after i found them on the back of the connector they are so easy to remove.
New one clipped back in and working a treat. Thanks for this thread it was about a 15 min job for someone who has never changed one of these before :)

Back