Fuel Flap Button

Gonzo

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

Some time ago the head of the button and the spring for opening the fuel flap "fell off". I'm gonna have a go at replacing it myself. So........

1. Anyone tried this at home before?
  2. If so, what's the process?
  3. And before I order, does anyone have the part # handy? It's the whole button I'm looking for which I assume is supplied as a complete unit.

Thanks in advance,

Simon

I'm in the process of resolving a related problem, so fortunately I have the number to hand...

Fuel flap release switch
8Z2 959 833 5PR

I just pushed the trim sideways (towards the driver), and it opened up. When you want to put it back, just put the trim's edge back under the bead, and massage the trim until it is all lined up straight again.

Once the trim has been opened up, you can see the rear of the connectors. There is a fiddly little release tab inside the connector which you have to open (moving the little tab towards the cable) while simultaneously pulling on the cable gently. I did it with my fingers OK but it would probably be much easier with a small flat-head screwdriver.

Last edited:
No need to remove the trim at all to replace the fuel flap release switch.

Simply get a thin flat bladed screwdriver or knife/stanley blade and slide it between the base of the switch and the b post trim cover and lever it out (it is held in by two push fit clips).

Once out disconnect the connector and it's out.

Plug in the new switch (which you buy complete and is not expensive from Audi) and push it back in until it clicks.

Job done!!

I've also found the button on the floor some while ago, can't remember if there was any spring but I just put it back in the socket and had no problem since.

Just had another look, withdrew the button with the aid of piece of sticky tape, it came out quite easily (no resistance of any kind), slid it back in and everything works OK!
No sign of anything being broken off!!!

Regards
Mike
:)

One or both of the inner plastic clips that hold the button on will have broken and probably the spring is missing too.

It will still work but will fall out again soon.

Would probably be a good idea to just go ahead and replace it as they are not expensive.

All fixed.

15 quid for the part and a sub 5 minute job, even for me.

Thanks for your help.

Back