fuel flap

Gritty

Hi guys

My fuel flap keeps popping open?

I click it shut then it pops open again some time later? Is this an electrical problem somthing to do with the switch perhaps?

Any advice appreciated

andy

Hi guys

My fuel flap keeps popping open?

I click it shut then it pops open again some time later? Is this an electrical problem somthing to do with the switch perhaps?

Any advice appreciated

andy
Are you sure that the button in the door pillar is not broken?

They often break and come apart. People try and reassemble them but they sometimes stick on.
If it is stuck on, when you open the door it will enable the power to the switch again and it will pop open.

Does yours button look to be in top condition.

Steve B

Are you sure that the button in the door pillar is not broken?

They often break and come apart. People try and reassemble them but they sometimes stick on.
If it is stuck on, when you open the door it will enable the power to the switch again and it will pop open.

Does yours button look to be in top condition.

Steve B
Hi Steve

Had the car a month now and have used the switch in the pillar a couple of times and it appears to be working ok i.e it opens the flap. The button/switch in the pillar does look in good nick but I will take a closer look at the switch tomorrow and see whats what.

If as you suggest its "sticking" where abouts from switch to motor to flap would it be sticking?

The button has at least three parts, the black button that presses in , the centre white "spider" ( for want of a better word) that the button presses against and the spider presses into the third part, the main body of the switch.
If the black button has fallen off in the past, someone MIGHT have tried to reassemble it and then pushed it all back together again and the white "spider" could be sticking down,

One thing that MIGHT help you pin it down. The button becomes dead (electrically) when the door is closed (or if the micro-switch ion the lock has broken (but that is not likely to play a part here.

What that means is that if your flap is opening without the driver's door being open, then it is likely to be a mechanical problem with the linkage and solenoid that operates the flap opening. (if you take off the "inspection panel" where you would change the rear light bulbs) you can see the whole mechanical set up and solenoid.
You could try closing the flap then manually operating the linkage that opens the flap and determine if that is all lined up and working correctly.

Steve B

Right just popped out to the car and before un locking the car checked the flap, it was locked shut.

Unlocked the car using remote and opened the drivers door flap opened at the same time, tried this procedure three times, same thing happened.

re examind black switch/button in the pillar and it seems to be stuck i.e not pressing in and out.

So is this just a case of needing to replace the black button in the pillar?

Yes, that is it !!!

They are just under £30 new (well worth it), secondhand are often worn either visibly or internally.

Check ebay, unless A2Steve has a good one (i.e. a recently fitted newish one)

Simple to change too.

Steve B

Last edited:
One of three of mine had defect switch when I checked them now... (I was not aware)
Many thanks for the education :)

BR
dieselfan

I would buy ten if they are still that price. But well worth checking with them first.
Steve B

Mine was £28 a couple of years ago.
You could just unplug it for now to keep the flap closed and manually open or plug it back in when you want the flap to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fuel filler on mine pops open occasionally, but eventually I tracked it down to me brushing the button as I got out of the car ...

Back