Fuel gauge playing up

Pondy81

Help needed again please.

Audi A2 2001 TDI.

Mrs for a while has said fuel gauge doesn't seem to be accurate, not thought much of it as she is driving it allot more than before.

Anyway today she calls and says car was just about to go into the red so she filled it up to the max.. She got home... (2 mins away) and then went out an hour later.. As she started the car the fuel beep happened to say fuel empty... anyway as she got to kids school (5 mins drive away) the fuel gauge was at full.. after a few more times starting and stopping this kept happening... empty to full...

Whats the problem here.., i assume a sensor??

1) is this just one problem or could be more than 1?
2) Can this be fixed by myself?

Await anyones help.

Thanks all

David

Help needed again please.

Audi A2 2001 TDI.

Mrs for a while has said fuel gauge doesn't seem to be accurate, not thought much of it as she is driving it allot more than before.

Anyway today she calls and says car was just about to go into the red so she filled it up to the max.. She got home... (2 mins away) and then went out an hour later.. As she started the car the fuel beep happened to say fuel empty... anyway as she got to kids school (5 mins drive away) the fuel gauge was at full.. after a few more times starting and stopping this kept happening... empty to full...

Whats the problem here.., i assume a sensor??

1) is this just one problem or could be more than 1?
2) Can this be fixed by myself?

Await anyones help.

Thanks all

David

It could be a bad connection at the fuel sender.

Fold the rear seat forward an on the floor on the driver's side you will see the circular lid that covers the fuel sender.

Have a look and see if everything is ok.

If it is then it could be the sender that has a fault.

Steve B

I'd agree with Steve that this is most likely being caused by a poor connection somewhere in the sender circuit.

The gauge relies on a resistance measurement from the sender, and if there is high resistance in the circuit due to a poor connection, the gauge position will be affected. Check inside connectors on the sender unit for corrosion and damage, as Steve has explained above.

Regards,

Matt.

Just check that all of the wires are connected with no loose connections.

Steve B

I have just had mine out. The fault was down to the amount of dirt on the contacts. These are open in the fuel and pick up a fine coating of something insulating, a quick wipe cured mine. When removing the unit be aware that the whole thing you pull out is just a reservoir and as such holds a load of fuel, about 1lt so ensure you have a container big enough. To stop you getting dust in to the tank, vacuum and blow off the top of the tank connections. The pipes remove easily, just squeeze the clips on the pipe.

sorry all just had time to look at this and i cant get the the circle lid off... does this screw off or just pop off?

The retaining ring unscrews.

Try holding a wooden handle outer ribs and tapping free with a rubber mallet.

Cheers
Jeff

Back