Fuel tank sizes and TDi 90 Chipping

Status
Not open for further replies.

clived

Hi all,

Currently considering a 90bhp TDi as a replacement for my 3.2V6 Omega if a new job that will mean a combination of more commuting and loss of my fuel card comes off.

I've a couple of questions. Firstly, I've heard talk of large and small fuel tanks. Is this a change that happened for a particular model year, or was a larger fuel tank an option?

Secondly, whilst I've read the review of the chipped 75bph TDi, I've not seen any info on the 90. Is remapping a 90 do-able - what gains do you get.

I'm very familiar with AmD by the way.... I don't even want to think about adding up what I've spent with them on my TT Roadster!

Oh, and great turn out at Audi Driver guys - if it hadn't been raining, I'd have come and said hello!

Cheers, Clive

Hi Clive,

The earlier cars had the smaller (34 litre) fuel tank. All 2002 model year and later cars have the larger (43 litre) tank.

The 90 is chipable but I don't know exact figures. I'm sure somebody else will help here.

It was a shame about the weather the other weekend.

Shaf

1. Mar 2001 TDi 75 SE, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, winter pack.
2. Nov 2002 TDi 75 Sport, Silver,black/grey interior,climate.
3. Jun 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, wrong interior (black/black), climate, front fogs.
4. Sep 2004 TDi 90 Sport, Silver, black/grey interior, climate, leather/alcantara, front fogs. HID Xenon's.

Hi Clive!

Welcome to the forum (although it's not my job to welcome you here ;), that's for an admin.

Anyway, I can clear up the confusion about the fuel tank: it's been 42 litre ever since about mid 2002. So if you consider a 90bhp diesel, you can be sure it has the large tank.

Before that date tanks were 34 litre. And you could not choose something larger as an option. Nor is it really possible (or at least economical) to retro-fit the newer tank to older A2's.

About the chipping: yes it can be chipped.
This is what ABT in Germany has on it:

http://80.81.7.110/Downloads/Datenblaetter/AUDI/A2/ATL_105/8Z0_114_105_ATL.pdf

So it goes from 230 to 265Nm and from 90 to 105 BHP.
Okay. That's less than what you get from the 75 BHP engine...

Some guys on the German forum (http://www.audi-a2club.de) have that chip.

But I think that most will argue that the 90 BHP version is fast enough on its own!

Hope that helps,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Try the standard 90bhp - if possible, one fully "run in" with a few thousand miles under it's belt. You won't be disappointed!

Other than a very loud tickover by modern oilburner standards (even at full op. temp), it's a phenomenal little three-pot and very well suited to the A2.

Regards

Ian - 2004 1.4tdi90 SE. Prev. 2001 1.4 petrol SE.

Take a look at www.ccctech.com - they do the Upsolute chip, which I'm reliably told will take the 90PS A2 to 120-ish BHP (anywhere between 118 and 124). They also offer a variety of installation options, including a switchable version - basically, you can go back to standard tune at the press of a blipper!

I'll be having the work done in the next couple of weeks, but Simmo, also a contributor to these pages has had both his A2s done by CCCTech (his 75PS and his 90PS models), and he speaks very highly of the conversion - apparently, 30-70mph, through the gears, takes 7.8 seconds, compared to 7.5 seconds for his standard A4 2.5 TDi[13]

WAS : A2 TDI SE 2001 Ebony Black Pearl (The Little Tank!)
NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! (The NEW Tank)

All, thanks for the responses. The ccctech website seems to have disapeared - anyone else have another contact for them? Alternatively I'm at AmD on Friday, so I'll ask them what they do for the 90.

Been having a look round the Audi used site - seems that options like Sat Nav ("normal" or plus") or leather interior are pretty rare - Do you think I'm on a loser looking for them?

Cheers, Clive

Sorry, try www.ccctech.co.uk that'll do the trick. You probably are on a loser if you want a combination of leather, sat nav and OpenSky. Apparently, my new A2 is unique in the country, according to my dealer - 90PS Sport model in black pearl with OpenSky, red leather and climate control, and this will soon be reflected in its new reg number - A2 MHU.

Good hunting!

PS CCCTech are coming this Thursday, so I'll let you all know the results by the weekend.

NOW : A2 TDi 90 Sport, OpenSky, winter pack, ISOfix, fogs, climate control, all-round electric windows, Blaupunkt DAB54, genuine HID xenons and red leather! (The NEW Tank)

Went for a 90PS test drive today - it was "ok" ;) and certainly quicker than the 75PS I last drove - it's always a bit tricky to get a good feeling for performance when you step out of a significantly quicker car to take the test drive I think though, so maybe it's really more than "ok"

Skipton, do you have a report to make on the Upsolute chip? :) How do you measure the power increase - just seat of the pants, or do you dyno or take some in-gear timing measurements?

As an aside, the dealer (Stanstead) mentioned there are about to be some very good deals on new A2's - I'm currently considering used - he's going to let me know the details tomorrow.

Cheers, Clive

Initial reports on my now chipped 90PS as follows:

b****r ME! WHERE'S 6TH?

The car is indeed a lot faster, especially through the gears. I have no readings to give, but am satisified that Simmos timings of 7.8seconds from 30-70mph are if anything, conservative. You really feel that it could easily pull a 6th gear on the motorway now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back