Fuel tank upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

audi_a2rs

I'm planning to upgrade the fuel tank 42 liter from the original one provided in 2000-2002.

Does anyone have any experience with this operation ?

What about the fuel gauge - do we need to adjust or recalibrate it ?

Rune

Audi A2RS

Would have thought it will be Ok as they are generally just a float on a variable resistor, i.e the higher up (More Fuel) low resistance and a needle that moves all the way across the gauge.

Would have thought the guages themselves are generic across the whole range.

As far as I know, it cannot be done.

Well, it can be done, but at unreasonable costs, since it involves changes to covers on the underside of the car and a new exhaust with (probably) some new bends in it. Even the tank by itself was really expensive...
Can't find the original message about this, but I recall quoted figures between 1000 and 2000 euros. Might even be Pounds, to make it worse :(
Ask your dealer for a quote to make sure.

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I checked the 42 liter tank on a new 2004 model A2 today. An upgrade will require modification of the exhaust. I do not think the covers would be a big problem, they can be removed quite easily, and cut'n'pasted (glued) so it fits the new tank. However, I checked the price - which was translating into around 650 Euros here in Norway.....which sort of ends the plans for the upgrade. I can stop at the gas station quite a few more times for that price.

The other non-standard alternative is to use a custom build tank (there is some room under the A2, especially on the right side (for LHD versions)), but then again I'm back to the gauge problem.

I saw the DVD Techademics 'Cannonball Run 3000' (or something like similar) that someone had made a special aluminium welded spare tank for an A4, adding a lot of capacity.

Ok, thanks for your feedback anyway.

Rune

Audi A2RS

It's a lot cheaper to drive around with a jerrycan of extra fuel in the tank.

Dennis de Held

Amulet Red 1.4 Tdi

Sorry to hear that my suspicions were confirmed.

Like you say: for that price you can spend quite some time at a gas station.

But, do you always need to drive that far in one go?
Put differently: do you always need the larger tank? Because if not, you can always choose for the most obvious enlargment of your fuel supply: jerrycans! A bit unsafe, IMO, but still serves the purpose.

Take care,

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

The reason for me wanting to have an larger tank on the A2 is simple:

In the summertime, I am driving with a caravan! Believe it or not, I have a good old Norwegian 1977 model, 4.2 meter (5.2 total length) Bjoelset Caravan which is silver painted to match the car, with 14" alus and a fully upgraded interior (new paint, tiles, carpet, pillow, drapes etc.etc. and a rear view camera.....).

When I drive on the highway, say around 80-90 km/h, the car uses around 0.9 litres/10km - the 3 cylinders are working hard, but last summer I had no problems at all. So, I would need to stop twice as often as I usually do.

This summer I am going to the Netherlands with my family (to the south, near the Belgian border), and since I will spend some time on the highway in Sweden, Denmark, Germany and Netherlands, it would be nice not to stop every 300km or so. Each time I stop, we use 20-30 minutes - so, the overall time we spend on driving increase a lot.
(OK, I know we are supposed to relax on holiday...)

So, there you know. I do not have any pictures of my car and the caravan, but I can post some later in June when I bring the caravan out from the storage.

Rune
Audi A2RS

Wow, that must be a rare sight: an A2 with a caravan. And even a matching caravan!
But I see why you want a bigger tank.

However, I still think that it is easier and cheaper to train your family (and perhaps yourself) to leave the gasstation quicker. In and out in 7 minutes, how about that ;)

Good luck, and happy holidays. Where are you going btw. The province of Brabant, or Limburg? Both are nice (and different), but I was just curious...

--

I've often wanted to do this same thing too... but I think the only way to do it is to fit extra fuel tanks where the Honda Jazz has its main tank: under the two front seats! Go and have a look there. Because the rear floor is lower than the front sandwich floor there is acres of space under each seat... you'll fit 20 litres of fuel under each seat easy I think! Will totally upset my DIS though when it tries to tell me how far I can go on a tankfull!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.audi-a2.co.uk/uk23.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back