Fuel Temperature Sensor Issue.

Natmanov

A2OC Donor
Morning all.

I ran a VAG scan and got this code.

2013-10-30 13.07.30.jpg so I rang Stoke Audi and ordered a new sensor.

Just went to fit it and noticed that the wires had actually been cut (wish I'd noticed this first!)

2013-11-23 09.28.21.jpg
2013-11-23 09.27.31.jpg

How do I go about fixing this and is there any reason that someone would deliberately cut them? Possibly to hide an error code of some sort?

Regards and thanks in advance

Nat

Morning all.

I ran a VAG scan and got this code.

Nat

Wow! .... that simple? Have you got the Vag-com lead? Well, that sensor does not show any error display. If it is faulty, then the gauge just doesn't transmit correct temperature. There is no reason to cut any wires? I would just rejoin them .... the correct way is to always solder them together, and then tape them. Just see how things go when you've re-connected. Oh, I had the exact same fault with my A2, but the wire was just broken, not "cut". I think that all it would do (if broken), is affect the perfect running of the car, to some slight extent.

David

Last edited:
The wires are always tight going to the sensor and although your photos do seem to show a pretty clean cut, it's not impossible that the break is natural.

As has been suggested, repair with solder and heat shrink if you can (superior to just electrical tape) and hopefully there'll be no errors. I'd extend the wires a little too to remove some of the strain they're under whilst you're at it.

The wires are always tight going to the sensor and although your photos do seem to show a pretty clean cut, it's not impossible that the break is natural.

As has been suggested, repair with solder and heat shrink if you can (superior to just electrical tape) and hopefully there'll be no errors. I'd extend the wires a little too to remove some of the strain they're under whilst you're at it.

Good advice.

I would also suggest NOT soldering them and shrink wrapping them until you have connected them and checked the effect, just in case they were cut for a reason?

Steve B

Good advice.

I would also suggest NOT soldering them and shrink wrapping them until you have connected them and checked the effect, just in case they were cut for a reason?

Steve B

But in this case, even if the sender is defective, the OP has a new replacement to hand.

But in this case, even if the sender is defective, the OP has a new replacement to hand.

Yes, but what if there is a wiring problem further up the loom?

Just suggesting caution, I don't see how testing it first can harm?

Steve B

Yes, but what if there is a wiring problem further up the loom?

Just suggesting caution, I don't see how testing it first can harm?

Steve B
So if there is an issue further along the loom, then just leave the sensor unplugged, effectively breaking the circuit.

If there's nothing wrong (and as there's no further joints or junctions before the wires terminate at the ECU, then I suspect it'll all be fine), then you've just saved yourself having to undo the temporary joint and remake it permanently.

I've repaired around 4 of these over the years for various members and its always just been a break due to the shortness of the wiring loom.

So if there is an issue further along the loom, then just leave the sensor unplugged, effectively breaking the circuit.

If there's nothing wrong (and as there's no further joints or junctions before the wires terminate at the ECU, then I suspect it'll all be fine), then you've just saved yourself having to undo the temporary joint and remake it permanently.

I've repaired around 4 of these over the years for various members and its always just been a break due to the shortness of the wiring loom.

Fair enough, you are probably right

Steve B

Ok. Need help again! I took the clip off and began preparing to solder it and one of the wires has broken so close to the inside of the clip that I can't easily solder it. Does anyone know where I can get another clip with a bit more wire showing? A breaker maybe?

Hi
My Audi A2 1.4tdi has the two wires cut inside the fuel temperature sensor
How easy is it to remove sensor ?
If I buy a new sensor - does it come with wires etc and how easy is it to replace ?
Kind Regards

Back