Furious Driving recommends A2 as future classic, buy now!

As I’m sure many of you have noticed in the past that I’m a classic A2 sceptic. Basically they are a brilliant design concept. However they never won races and those who wanted them new bought them. The demand for these cars is us, A2 to my mind will not become a widely sought after classic.
Yesterday I was insuring Little Dog; the value Go Compare put on him was £330. My excess is £350! There appears no point in fully comp insurance. If these cars are going to make classic status then I would like to see it soon. Then I can get classic insurance.
£330! the factory tow bar could be worth more than the car🤷‍♂️
Edit, I just remembered, they have 5 doors which unfortunately will drag on classic status. If there had been a 3door A2 with a VAG GTi engine then that already would be a much sought after classic.

Last edited:
Who or what organisation defines classic car status? Is the instance of it being a customary concensus of acceptance that it's a classic?

Please forgive my ignorance

As I’m sure many of you have noticed in the past that I’m a classic A2 sceptic. Basically they are a brilliant design concept. However they never won races and those who wanted them new bought them. The demand for these cars is us, A2 to my mind will not become a widely sought after classic.
Yesterday I was insuring Little Dog; the value Go Compare put on him was £330. My excess is £350! There appears no point in fully comp insurance. If these cars are going to make classic status then I would like to see it soon. Then I can get classic insurance.
Edit, I just remembered, they have 5 doors which unfortunately will drag on classic status. If there had been a 3door A2 with a VAG GTi engine then that already would be a much sought after classic.
It's good to see the cars being advertised for £6-8k at present, but will they sell? If they do then it could be a good indicator that things may be on the change for values.

A select few A2s may well sell for £6 - 8K, but they're going to be garage queens, not the cars we, hopefully, drive regularly. Look at the numbers on SORN. Many of them are projects that may never happen, but a few are the future classics.
Mac.

A classic car is at least 15 years old and has a market value of £15,000 or more according to HMRC so some way to go before an A2 reaches that value on a regular basis.

A classic car is at least 15 years old and has a market value of £15,000 or more according to HMRC so some way to go before an A2 reaches that value on a regular basis.
Would that have something to do with benefits in kind taxes? Classic cars taxed differently?

All I'm observing here is the classic car is classified differently by various UK government departments and the general insurance industry.

I just did a quick calculation of the average value of A2's on Autotrader (21 cars)

Most expensive £7500
Cheapest £650
Average £3600

There are 3 on ebay for more than £7000!

The ones on Marketplace seem to be a lot cheaper, which isn't surprising.

It would seem that like anything where there are dwindling numbers available, the prices are bound to shoot up.

Old Land Rovers have recently increased dramatically in value, which now means they are prime targets for thieves, and are of course pretty easy to steal. So there are ups and downs to everything I guess.

Quality reporting from The Sun:

"For a small runaround they offer a reasonable amount of space and some of the five-door models boast a top speed of 126mph."

I'm pretty sure none of the three door models do over a 100 🤣

Does the 1.6 FSI do 126mph?

"For a small runaround they offer a reasonable amount of space and some of the five-door models boast a top speed of 126mph."

I've not tried it in mine, next time I pop round the shops I'll give it a whirl. Will report back ...
Mac.

From the gearing and power/torque curves, quite possibly. In the owners manual too.
Mac.

What’s stopping you getting it on classic insurance? Both mine are.

I’m not so sure about the over 15 years and a value of 15,000 or over to be a classic??
In our fleet we have a series 2 1960 Land Rover….classic? A scimitar…..classic?……Datsun 120a…..classic?
Volvo Amazon….classic? None of these cars are worth anywhere near 15k.

Back