Future of the A2

Status
Not open for further replies.

frido

Hello!

Just got off the phone with my dad, he was at a conference with some people from Audi this weekend and talked about the A2 with them. They said that the A2 will be made out of steel from the next facelift on, they will try to cut costs by ditching the Aluminum body.......:-( They also said the boot door will lose some of the glass, all this to cut costs. Apparently they will shift production from Neckarsulm to Ingolstadt, too, he was told they already ordered the tools for the metal presses....

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

Our gain, the mark two owners loss I feel!
Wicked, cool ( sorry that is sneakers)

icon_smile_cool.gif

I'd hate to see its 0 - 60 time, it would probably be in the region of 18+ seconds, a transit van would be quicker [:p]

2002, 1.4, azure blue, 2 tone leather, concert II single cd. Member of A2OC site.

I also thought that the change to a steel body would mean bigger engines, and almost certainly the end of the 1.2TDI (of which, as was reported here a few days ago, only 1200 units have been sold.... as opposed to the 15000 of the Lupo 3L 1.2TDi....)

Bye, Frido.

P.S: As to the source of the information: my Dad works with the unions a lot, and the conference he was at was with some unions people who work at Audi Ingolstadt.... I don´t know if the information is correct, but it seems pretty shure...

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

Unfortunately, a steel body would probably mean a cheaper design. Retaining second hand value of my aluminum car only for those (few) buyers appreciating aluminum.

henk

Frido und wer hilft den beim schieben für den A2 der braucht ja den mindestens eine 2.0 Lieter Maschine ....
Wir sollten schon mal anfangen Ersatzteile für unsere Autos zu besorgen , ich habe so das dumpfe Gefühl das der A2 bald ganz abgeschaft wird . Wer will den A2 den noch haben dann kann ich mir auch gleich den neuen A3 oder Golf holen ....
Tja meine Wagen ist mal wieder in der Werksatt immer noch das alte Problem ....Aber was toll ist die geben nicht auf lol......Wenn sie diesaml auch nicht weiter kommen , soll er zurück nach Ingolstadt und da ist dann Dein Typ gefragt ich möchte Dich dann bitten jeden "Abend" hinzufahren und meinem Auto einen GutenachtKuß zugeben und das Du ihm eine geschichte vorließt, wäre das ok für Dich er ist sehr sensibel und er mag nur Guinness

Thomas Giblin

If this is indeed true then it would mean that it is unlikely the A2 will end production as soon as many reports have been saying. I can't see Audi investing in such a radical change in design with the car having a limited shelf life.

If the A2 did become steel then I would think the engine range would definetely change. A 1.9TDi would do nicely.

Maybe it could all be for the best. I think a good bit of re-design is just what the A2 needs. It would certainly tempt me back to one.

Cheers,

Jamie.

PS - can anyone interpret the last message?

Frido and who helps with to push for the a2 needs that at least 2,0 Lieter a machine.... We should begin already times spare parts for our cars to procure, I have so the dull/musty feeling that of the a2 become soon completely abgeschaft. Who wants the a2 still to have then can I also equal the new A3 or gulf get itself.... Tja my cars is times again in that work-fullly still the old problem... more.Aber which is mad those gives not on lol...... if it diesaml also not continues to come, is it back after Ingolstadt and there then your type is asked I would like you to then ask each "evening" in addition-driven and my car a good eight-kiss to admit and which you it a history before-let, that would be ok for you it is very sensitive and he likes only Guinness Thomas Giblin

I think?????
Roy

You kiss you A2 eight times-and good ones at that. Weird...;)

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

I don't think this will harm the value of the resale value of the current versions. On the contrary, I think it will enhance it. It will not retain second hand value only for those buyers appreciating aluminum, but for all.

Audi may be considering switching to steel to cut costs. So not to greatly reduce the retail price of the A2, but to cut costs. So the choice for a buyer will be either a new steel A2 - heavier, slower, thirstier - or a secondhand aluminium version. After all, what's the point in owning an A2 that isn't aluminium?

This is assuming that the steel A2 is not fitted with a meatier engine, namely the 1.9 TDI (130bhp whooah!!). Now that would draw the buyers.

I doubt that Audi would reduce the price of the A2, even with a steel body/chassis because of the "perceived value" and the price of the competition (A class, 1-series). We'll see.

Oh well thats something to look forward to, my 2 A2's resale values. As regards to the heavier so therefore slower and thirstier A2 I think that Audi would of taken this into account and beafed up the engine a Tad, not to be funny but the majority of Tdi engines out there are a little bit weedy and grunt up steep inclines, I was thinking more along the lines of FSI considering it is the new technoology Audi has introduction into its production line cars, image a 1.8L and 2L FSI unit omg just gets you smiling thinking about it it would really zip past the opposition.

In Audis defense and the customers best interests switching to steel has a few advantages, eg the car is not light enough to be rocked by its windscreen wiper, no nasty sounds when going through puddles, more steady car, wont crumble into tin foil when hitting another car (if ever happens), cheaper production costs could also mean more features. I can see the A2 turning into an A3 similarly how a Lupo turned into a Polo in the VW-Audi comparison.

So it seems unlikely it will be for the worst on contrary possible more features, faster engines, more steady ride (no bouncing like a bouncy castle), doubtful higher fuel consumption in comparison to fuel to weight ratio. Some how I see our car turning into less valuable ones if this does happen, but a pssible bright distant future resale vaule as collectable as the first aluminium production car.

1.4SE petrol 2001, Dark interior, Sat cloth, Brilliant Silver, 3 spoke Steering wheel, Rear electric windows and Panasonic MR555 stereo, Panasonic 8CD changer, 10 speakers (2 extra 13" 190 watt each.)

1.4TDiSE 2002, Biege interior, Brilliant Black, Concert II.

Audi UK have spent a fortune advertising the benefits of aluminium. The London Eye ad is a good example.

There would be serious marketing problems to retract from such a positioning.

Apart from that, the car would just be like any other small car.

I wouldn't consider a steel A2.

Paul
1.4TDi, leather, Open Sky, BOSE, 6 CD, alu trim, cruise, DIS, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back