Future values/depreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on future values of A2`s?
Diesels wiil retain most , petrols little less.
Is 50% retained value after 3 years realistic?

[8D]
I should say so in my experience

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

My last A2 was 3 months old, no more than 2500miles on the clock, 1.4SE, CC, metallic. I got approx £9500 for a car costing over £14000 12 weeks earlier. I cried.

I suspect early depreciation is HARD, but should even out over three years.

Steve - 2002 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior, Then an identical replacement 2003 A2. Now a Toyota Corolla 1.6 T-Spirit

Mine is June 03' 18k on the clock just been offered £11.5k for it against a new A3 (the car only has cc & met on it).

My A2 would have cost £21700 new, I bought it for £14800 4 months old, with 6000 km´s on the clock. So I have to agree with runboy, the early depreciation IS very hard, especially if you have lots of extras...

Bye, Frido.

----
[img=left]http://homepage.mac.com/frido/a2pic.gif[/img=left]
A2 1.4 TDI 2003 S-Line, cobalt blue, CC, DIS, SatNav+, TV, Apple iPod
now parents' car: A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS
My A2OC pics Homepage

I bought mine when it was 18 months old for 10K, it's a 2002 Tdi SE with a few extras and 45K . List was £17.5K and I got it for 10.

I expect this was due to the high mileage, but I was quite happy with the deal...

Early depreciation is vertical on any new vehicle. Three years is about the 'right' time to change to get the best of all worlds.
A2 seems to keep slightly less in value than other Audi 'cos of its relative rareity and the fact that not many are sold.
50% of BASIC value is about right and very good compared with F**d or V******l which lose about 50% in the first YEAR!
So a TDI SE three years old will get about 8 to 8.5. You can expect a little more if you have extras but not much. It simply makes it more desireable for the second user.
Colour has effect too.
By way of an aside I know of a car - an SLK Merc in a solid blue with manual box and cloth interior - that a garage would NOT give a price on. Not a bad price notice but no price at all. The specification meant no interest. Thats why you buy your Audi BM or Merc in metallic colour.[10]

NEVER attempt a battle of wits with an unarmed man.
Soon to be ex-A2 owner - but nevertheless extremely satisfied with my experience

I was advised that I would not get my money back on any optional extras but that they would make the car more appealing when it was time to sell on. These were items such as cruise control, front foglights, heated leather seats etc. But there are essentials like metallic paint and climate control.

Mark, speaking to a VW salesman recently they had a newish Golf V6 4motion which they could not shift because it was dark green metallic with a beige leather interior - not a very desirable combination he told me.

Shaf

Nov 2002 TDi Sport, Silver,Black/grey interior,climate. Replaced previous Mar 2001 TDi SE

Before deciding to buy my A2, I spent a lot of time researching the residuals. It turned out that the A2 has a very 'L' shaped depreciation curve, that is it loses a helluva lot in the first 12 months, and then depreciation slows drastically across months 13 to 36.

Bad news perhaps if your buying new and dont plan to keep the car for three years, but great if your buying at around 12 months used. I bought a 9 month old TDi with OS, CC, met paint etc and saved over £6k.

Phil. TDi Sport, silver, with Climate and OpenSky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back