G 052112A3 hot bolt paste

Little Dog

A2OC Donor
European-Union
I'm in 7 Zap looking for part numbers for gaskets and seals for a repair that I have ongoing. I opened the wrong parts list and spotted item 12 hot bolt paste:

Albert 1.jpg

I thought I'll have some of that; got exhaust related jobs on other cars to get done. Errr, no I won't:

Albert 2.jpg

Does any body know what this stuff is? I already have a tub of Febi very high temperature grease that I use on glow plugs.

It’s copper grease I’m quite sure, this is what was used on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not copper paste. It has a lot of silver in it, hence the price. If you don't use it with exhaust manifolds etc, you'll have great difficulty removing the nuts next time.

RAB

It's not copper paste. It has a lot of silver in it, hence the price. If you don't use it with exhaust manifolds etc, you'll have great difficulty removing the nuts next time.

RAB

What’s normally used on by other cars is grapite and copper which is what’s in mine I believe, it’s an anti seize exhaust manifold product.

RAB
In fairness if this was used during the manufactures assembly its not helped much lol

In fairness if this was used during the manufactures assembly its not helped much lol
Where's the evidence that it hasn't worked? And if it hasn't, do you have proof that it is the original factory fitting?

RAB

Where's the evidence that it hasn't worked? And if it hasn't, do you have proof that it is the original factory fitting?

RAB
Simply based on the fact the difficulty removing the heat shield fixings the OP is having!

Dont know of any manufacturer that assembles things with consideration of future removal tbf, would have thought copper grease would be good enough for most applications.

Simply based on the fact the difficulty removing the heat shield fixings the OP is having!

Dont know of any manufacturer that assembles things with consideration of future removal tbf, would have thought copper grease would be good enough for most applications.
I can't imagine any anti seize material retaining it's effectiveness on an exhaust manifold fixing 20 years after initial application.
Mac.

I can't imagine any anti seize material retaining it's effectiveness on an exhaust manifold fixing 20 years after initial application.
Mac.
Yes most unlikely but theres nothing on 2-3 year old fiat engines either.
I know mercedes techs are not allowed to use any lubricants and often use butter to assemble parts with rubber hoses/seals ect.
Wheels seize/corrode on must vehicles due to lack of a touch of anti seize or similar.
There all as bad as each other!

Maybe you should read his post again!
Mac.
Are you speaking from experience Mac?

RAB

Yes most unlikely but theres nothing on 2-3 year old fiat engines either.
I know mercedes techs are not allowed to use any lubricants and often use butter to assemble parts with rubber hoses/seals ect.
Wheels seize/corrode on must vehicles due to lack of a touch of anti seize or similar.
There all as bad as each other!
I often use Copaslip,
Maybe you should read his post again!

Are you speaking from experience Mac?

RAB
No, not from experience, just an opinion. The modern ceramic based anti seize compounds weren't available 20 years ago, although only time will tell if they would last 20 years on an exhaust manifold.
Mac.

The important thing to remember is that applying any anti seize will change the torque value so if there is no lubricant specified on any fastener that is a dry torque value in the manual.

If in doubt Copaslip is the best all round anti seize anti gall compound that is readily available. Would love to see the actual VAG compound as it will have been made by someone else and only packaged into VAG tubes and the price inflated.

The important thing to remember is that applying any anti seize will change the torque value so if there is no lubricant specified on any fastener that is a dry torque value in the manual.

If in doubt Copaslip is the best all round anti seize anti gall compound that is readily available. Would love to see the actual VAG compound as it will have been made by someone else and only packaged into VAG tubes and the price inflated.

One thing to remember don’t use copaslip where you have mixed metals especially aluminium as aluminium and copper will react

Sorry Edward @Edwrai , have to disagree about Copaslip and mixed metals. But do not use on seals or rubber products.

Happy to be proven wrong but all my experience and research has shown safe for mixed metals.

Sorry Edward @Edwrai , have to disagree about Copaslip and mixed metals. But do not use on seals or rubber products.

Happy to be proven wrong but all my experience and research has shown safe for mixed metals.

I though that’s why alumslip is produced

I though that’s why alumslip is produced

What's It Made Of - ALUMSLIP is free of copper, lead, sulphides, fluorides, and chlorides. Specifically designed for where copper needs to be avoided (for example where concerns of galvanic corrosion exist).

Again not disagreeing.

Alumslip is the perfect product for non treated fasteners. All Audi bolts are pre treated at manufacture at least the ones for the A2. The small amounts on manifolds there is little chance of galvanic corrosion and Copaslip copes with the high temps much better.

Again would like to see the genuine VAG compound to the work out exactly what they are using.

My industry predominantly uses nickel based compounds to prevent inter metal corrosion and high and low temperatures.

Back