G201 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (DTC 01435)

Gilbert

United-Kingdom
I think the ABS module may be faulty on my 2005 TDi 75 as the ABS and ASR lights come on with a series of 3 beeps when reaching about 10 mph.

I’ve tested the Live Data with and without my foot on the brake: -8.45 bar without foot on brake and 67.58 with brake pedal depressed. I don’t know what these values should be.

Car drives and brakes fine and ABS modulates when breaking hard but it’s MOT time soon so needs fixing.

Does anyone have a used assembly they’re prepared to sell please? I’ll show photos of the one fitted for reference.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_5238.jpeg
    IMG_5238.jpeg
    844 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5245.jpeg
    IMG_5245.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5243.jpeg
    IMG_5243.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5244.jpeg
    IMG_5244.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 35
There are two pressure sensors, I've always assumed this is a fail safe, in case one fails. I'd think the two are continuously compared in normal operation too.
The A2 has two versions, early cars have MK20 and later MK60, your's will be the MK60.
You could put a wanted add in the Market Place for a complete assembly. Your fault seems to be the pressure sensor itself, not the controller, so it can be replaced, use only genuine VAG sensors.

How do you get on with OBD Eleven?
Mac.

Good Evening,

Have you accidently set the driver selectable speed warning to 10mph?

Just a thought.

Andy

There are two pressure sensors, I've always assumed this is a fail safe, in case one fails. I'd think the two are continuously compared in normal operation too.
The A2 has two versions, early cars have MK20 and later MK60, your's will be the MK60.
You could put a wanted add in the Market Place for a complete assembly. Your fault seems to be the pressure sensor itself, not the controller, so it can be replaced, use only genuine VAG sensors.

Mac.
Hi Mac,

Yes I’m aware of the two different versions and that mine’s a the later one. There are some on ebay but I’d rather trust an A2OC enthusiast than a random breaker.

As for OBDeleven, I think it’s quite good and inexpensive when compared to a genuine version of VCDS. I’d considered buying a clone but bought OBDeleven instead. I think it’s definitely worth the money but works better on Android tha iOS.

Cheers,

Nick

Mac.
I'm wrong in saying there are two pressure sensors sensors, there's only one.
DIY replacement isn't practical either. Sorry for the duff info.
Mac.

I had the similar symptoms same as you as soon as I went above 5-10 mph 3 beeps abs light on and that was it. When I scan the car with VCDS I got the error in near side abs senor fault. After 5 min job to replace the sensor it was all good. Don you have access to vcds?

I had the similar symptoms same as you as soon as I went above 5-10 mph 3 beeps abs light on and that was it. When I scan the car with VCDS I got the error in near side abs senor fault. After 5 min job to replace the sensor it was all good. Don you have access to vcds?
@Gilbert has an OBD Eleven scan, showing brake pressure sensor, G201, failure, see first post.
Mac.

@Gilbert has an OBD Eleven scan, showing brake pressure sensor, G201, failure, see first post.
Mac.
I know he got Obd eleven but these are not always the most accurate. They show you one thing and when you scan it with vcds it's something else. I had the same problem in past with my generic scanner and Indeed up buying vcds because of that.

I know he got Obd eleven but these are not always the most accurate. They show you one thing and when you scan it with vcds it's something else. I had the same problem in past with my generic scanner and Indeed up buying vcds because of that.
OBD Eleven is VAG specific. I have both OBD Eleven, and VCDS Lite.
You can rely on the OBD Eleven results, and it is very convenient, being Bluetooth, so no cable.
Slight downside is that it requires an active Internet connection. These days, that's not really a problem though.
Don't confuse OBD Eleven with the generic tools. It's definitely not one of those.
I bought my first generation, Android version several years back, and the current second generation is more expensive, especially if you're an Apple user.
Mac

Last edited:
OBD Eleven is VAG specific. I have both OBD Eleven, and VCDS Lite.
You can rely on the OBD Eleven results, and it is very convenient, being Bluetooth, so no cable.
Slight downside is that it requires an active Internet connection. These days, that's not really a problem though.
Don't confuse OBD Eleven with the generic tools. It's definitely not one of those.
I bought my first generation version several years back, and the current second generation is more expensive, especially if you're an Apple user.
Mac
I was thinking it's just another generic scanner which is ok for basics but pretty useless when you need to pinpoint the real issue. In this case it won't be as easy as a faulty abs sensor then.

Mac.
Give myself a hundred lines:
"The A2 is different from the Mk1 TT ..."
Showing my age again.
Mac.

If only it were an ABS wheel sensor, I have 2 spare ones in the garage. I think that OBDeleven is pretty good and more cost effective than VCDS (unless you buy a clone version). I can’t justify buying a pukka VCDS lead at over £300.

Reactions: bix
If only it were an ABS wheel sensor, I have 2 spare ones in the garage. I think that OBDeleven is pretty good and more cost effective than VCDS (unless you buy a clone version). I can’t justify buying a pukka VCDS lead at over £300.
Both my cars are pre 2006, so registered Lite, and a KKL lead are fine.
The original Android Gen 1 OBD Eleven was good value. No longer the on sale I noticed. Was under £40 a couple of weeks ago.
Mac.

Reactions: bix
I bought my vcds cable about 12 years ago for £230 ish and honestly it was my best investment for a car I ever did. Obviously we have all vw group cars in our family so whenever someone need it it's very handy

I think the ABS module may be faulty on my 2005 TDi 75 as the ABS and ASR lights come on with a series of 3 beeps when reaching about 10 mph.

I’ve tested the Live Data with and without my foot on the brake: -8.45 bar without foot on brake and 67.58 with brake pedal depressed. I don’t know what these values should be.

Car drives and brakes fine and ABS modulates when breaking hard but it’s MOT time soon so needs fixing.

Does anyone have a used assembly they’re prepared to sell please? I’ll show photos of the one fitted for reference.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Nick
Group 005, Block 01.
Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) Specification: ± 7.0 bar
So both pressures are off.
Mac.

Group 005, Block 01.
Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) Specification: ± 7.0 bar
So both pressures are off.
Mac.
@Gilbert
Have you read the Ross-Tech info on Fault Code 01435?
I may be completely wrong, (not unknown), but I'm not sure that the G201 sensor is part of the controller.
I've been reading SSP 240 again, but it describes the older MK20 system, which had two pressure sensors for fail safe, (I knew I'd seen that somewhere), G201 and G204, (which became just the one, G201, with the MK60).
Therefore, unless the info is completely wrong, the G201, ( and G204 where fitted), are indeed replaceable pressure sensors.
Mac.
Edit: The MK20, and MK60 ABS systems are completely different. This info only applies to the MK20 version.
On the MK20, the pressure sensors are replaceable, and are mounted on the master cylinder.
Mac.

Screenshot 2024-05-13 23.29.35.png

Edit II: Just to cover both MK20 and MK60 ABS systems, the Mk60 sensor is inside the controller module, which is attached to the ABS Pump and Hydraulic pack. Although the controller, and the ABS Pump have separate part numbers, they come as an assembly, which looks like this.
Mac.

a2mk60abs~2.jpg
Screenshot 2024-05-14 12.03.16.png

Last edited:
@Gilbert
Have you read the Ross-Tech info on Fault Code 01435?
I may be completely wrong, (not unknown), but I'm not sure that the G201 sensor is part of the controller.
I've been reading SSP 240 again, but it describes the older MK20 system, which had two pressure sensors for fail safe, (I knew I'd seen that somewhere), G201 and G204, (which became just the one, G201, with the MK60).
Therefore, unless the info is completely wrong, the G201, ( and G204 where fitted), are indeed replaceable pressure sensors.
Mac.
Edit: The MK20, and MK60 ABS systems are completely different. This info only applies to the MK20 version.
On the MK20, the pressure sensors are replaceable, and are mounted on the master cylinder.
Mac.

View attachment 123710
Edit II: Just to cover both MK20 and MK60 ABS systems, the Mk60 sensor is inside the controller module, which is attached to the ABS Pump and Hydraulic pack. Although the controller, and the ABS Pump have separate part numbers, they come as an assembly, which looks like this.
Mac.

View attachment 123735View attachment 123734

The later MK60 system doesn’t have G201/G204 sensors fitted to master cylinder but integral to the ABS module, it would otherwise have been a cheap and simple fix.

Just found this explanation of the MK60 system.
Mac.
The later MK60 system doesn’t have G201/G204 sensors fitted to master cylinder but integral to the ABS module, it would otherwise have been a cheap and simple fix.
The difference between the MK20 and MK60 is huge. I hadn't realised how different they are. I'd love to see more detail of the controller internals, especially how the pressure sensor/sensor are implemented. I think there must be two, for fail safe.
Mac.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 16.03.57.png

Back