Garage repairs - supplying parts yourself or garage supplies parts?

OldSchool

A2OC Donor
I reckon most garages hate it when customers say they want to supply the parts?

people can bring in cheap unreliable parts and then want garage to deal with the hassle etc etc

I'm sure there are other issues too...

but when it comes to old classic cars like the A2 can we source parts ourselves?

or would you just tell garage "I'd like manufacturer X please"

Time was of the essence in getting my MOT repairs done so I just deferred to the garage to do their thing...

but I will eventually need a new rear driver's side coil spring so maybe I replace the passenger side spring too? and is their a brand that the club members recommend?

anything else I can replace in that region whilst it is being looked at?

also, when it comes time for front discs being replaced? should I buy my own discs? pads? or just ask for specific brand? ask them what brand they will use?

and I have a cam belt and water pump change coming up too... ask them what brand they use? garage said cam belt and water pump etc would be 300 to 350 quid

Most garages are happy to work with parts you supply. However, they certainly won't be prepared to warrant the parts and this can lead to difficulties if a repair doesn't fix the problem.

yes, no warranty then... I guess if a garage is family owned and has been going for over 30 years they aren't going to use cheap crap for parts so I shouldn't worry...

Most garages are happy to work with parts you supply. However, they certainly won't be prepared to warrant the parts and this can lead to difficulties if a repair doesn't fix the problem.

I regularly supply parts to my local garage to fit to my A2. But that said i am very particular in what branded parts are fitted to all my cars. I think genuine vw and audi parts come with a 2 year guarantee. Meyle, monroe and febi bilstein are oem parts.

Reactions: fhl
Back