Garmin Sat Nav

glock17

At some stage this weekend I will be a fully fledged member after buying an A2.
I've been thinking about the Garmin 310 for some time and just wondered if anyone had used it with/without problem in the A2.

Cheers

glock17

Hiya,
I have the Nuvi 360T
Link for best price:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/689376

It is flippin amazing.
I know it is £100 more than the Nuvi 310, but it has traffic updates (ie routes you round any holdups, very useful last night after the winds!) it also has ALL of europe pre-installed on a built in 2.5gig drive. Leaving your SD card free for MP3.

Buy it!

I use the Zumo with TMC aerial, mp3 and bluetooth, the cradle has audio out so the directions, phone and mp3's come out of your head unit with the right adaptor, works great on the motorbike too

I have the garmin nüvi 350 no bluetooth, it's very good, extremely accurate, it's my first sat nav, so I haven't got anything to compare to.

I think the 350 is like the 360 but devoid of bluetooth and traffic do dah, although I think you can pay extra once you've got the unit to have this enabled

hth

bba

Last edited:
I think the 360 also has the newer maps (version 9) that came out in sept 06.
Whatever you get I really rate the TMS receiver, as this turns the SATNAV into more than a glorified atlas. Before I got it I had to use TA anouncements on the radio, and more often that not heard about holdups just after I was past the last turnoff to escape them!

My mother in law and one of my work partners both have the garmins and hate them, having had various problems with them, they both with that they had bought the same as me and got the new edition tom tom one,
for the money its an excellent piece of kit.:)

A lot depends on the unit, I've had Garmin for years, tried TomTom last year, the software was good but the unit was problematic,it could take 30 minutes to get a signal even outdoors, seems newer units with the Sirfstar III chipsets are much better.

We bought a 310 Deluxe from Halfrauds in November - comes with TMC & Europe maps for no extra cost. Has been very good - only slight negative was in central London, where the turn directions sometimes came too late. Perhaps the 14 foot accuracy wasn't enough in a small car like the A2!

We will be getting the latest v9 Europe maps as a free update - when the delivery comes.

Nice and compact too!

Mother in law felt that the screen quality and detail wasnt not as good as the new tom tom one and the features are easier to use with the tom tom thanks to the touch screen thus not needing to scroll through buttons and menues, all personal tastes I know but this is just our opionion-everyones different.
The garmin doesnt seem to be as acurate as my tom tom and my co workers garmin keeps taking an age to find sats and then sometimes keeps losing it where as my tom tom has never took more than 30 secs to get sats and has never lost them either.
Also co workers was been tepremental and losing charge and not working again until fully recharged!!??.
Anyway like I said all personal views, ya pays ya money and ya makes ya choice.
Regards Andy.

The Garmin 310 doesn't have any buttons - it has a touch screen, so perhaps your Mother in Law had a different model? Cant compare accuracy as this is the only one we've had. Ours has been reliable so far!

These two has only buttons so I guess they must be cheaper ones!!??.
To me that even worse for the garmins as my tom tom was a cheaper model but was is the touchscreen.ho hum.

andyman said:
These two has only buttons so I guess they must be cheaper ones!!??.
To me that even worse for the garmins as my tom tom was a cheaper model but was is the touchscreen.ho hum.
I dont know about cheaper - older maybe? Our Garmin 310D was £299, which for what was included (European maps, TMC, Bluetoooth etc.) didn't seem bad value to us!

Ive recently bought a Garmin Street Pilot C510 and i am more than happy with the product ..hey it was only £129 so ya can't complain.The father in law has the TomTom One which is aboutish the same ..well maybe not ...At least TomTom allow you to add decent voices i.e Ozzy Osbourne .Garmin doesnt offer the service.
Best of all the Garmin fits perfectly in the centre shelf just in front of the gear stick.You can also leave it in the car and no one expects it to be there.

Back