Gear box filler plug

Chapscrap

A2OC Donor
Hi everyone
Hope someone can help. Where is the filler plug on the gearbox of a bby petrol 1.4? I've looked and looked from above and below and cannot locate it. Also is it possible to refill using a funnel and pipe rather than the squeeze bottles trans oil used to come in. The oil opie supplied is just in normal 1 litre containers. Any info from someone who has changed their trans oil would be much appreciated. 13 years and 80k is enough time for any oil to last I think and I'm keeping my a2 long term.
All the best, Colin

The drain bung and filling bungs are,... Security XZN-Spline Socket Bit M16 , and located on the sides of the gearbox close to where the driveshaft goes into the gearbox, i use a peice of hose cut from an old washing machine cold water feed hose as a nice snug fit in the top up hole and a funnel pushed in to one end and works a treat.

-Gary

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Se...6-1-2-SX107-/290481382236?hash=item43a20a235c

a2 gb fill up images.png

I couldnt find any torque values for the bungs, and they were OTT tight undoing them, so just cleaned them up and applied a little loctite 2700 and went hand tight as i dare say it will never get changed again..

Ive done this Twice now once on my 1.4 petrol and on my TDI and both times the drained oil was between 200 - 400 ml short of what was ment to be in the gearbox, 2L i beleave and was very runny and discoloured compaired to the new oil .. After oil change there was a noticable difference of how much smother and quieter the gearbox's sounded , so well worth changing if your over the 100,000 miles mark..

-Gary

Last edited:
I couldnt find any torque values for the bungs, and they were OTT tight undoing them, so just cleaned them up and applied a little loctite 2700 and went hand tight as i dare say it will never get changed again..

Ive done this Twice now once on my 1.4 petrol and on my TDI and both times the drained oil was between 200 - 400 ml short of what was ment to be in the gearbox, 2L i beleave and was very runny and discoloured compaired to the new oil .. After oil change there was a noticable difference of how much smother and quieter the gearbox's sounded , so well worth changing if your over the 100,000 miles mark..

-Gary

Hi Gary,

there could easily be up to 400 ml of oil left in the gearbox after you have drained it, but spread all over the cogs and internals (as it should be), so I would imagine that the level was probably OK.

But replacing the oil does give you a significant feelgood factor, and can only help!

Steve B

Last edited:
My TDi ticked over the 180k mark today so think its needed. Ive not yet looked at the Filler/drain but i thought they required a standard 17mm drain plug socket, is this not the case and they are the security spline type?
Cheers guys,

Yes - did mine at the weekend - 17mm hex drive. However - you may find it better to remove the selector rod retaining plate at the bottom of the gearbox as this allows you to remove all the existing oil (alloy cap with VW logo cast in). To remove take out the two 13mm bolts and gently tap it side to side until it starts moving and continue until it rotates fairly freely. GENTLY lever down and Rotate until it is releases and comes out. Quite a bit more oil will come out throught the hole - i jacked the car on the Off Side to get the last few dregs out. Refitting cap is reversal of removal - you will need to fiddle it a bit until the circlip locates back on the selector shaft. Also dont forget to apply sealer to the plate before refitting. Good luck! Brent

Posibly only early A2s have the spline socket bungs as ive used that on my 2001 1.4 petrol and 2002 TDI to change the gear oil, perhaps later models changed to the 17mm hex drive

Im on the same job in the next few days, Does anyone have the torque specs for the filler and drain plugs?

Torque setting for both filler & drain plug is 25Nm, petrol & diesel gearboxes. The earlier petrol vehicles were fitted with the spline plug, later models are fitted with hex plugs.
Sealing fluid is not really necessary, the plugs have a fine thread and are gently tapered to ensure a leak-free lock.

blue skies
tony

Back