gear knob

pc759

A2OC Donor
anyone know how to take the gear knob off i fancy rpalcing my se one with the more sporty one do you just yank it?

Paul

Hi Paul
The gaiter is a click fit around the base of the gearlever. Gently prise up the plastic ring then roll the gaiter up over the gearstick. (Make a note of the position of the fixing lugs as the ring will only go back in one position) This will expose the crimped on band which locks the knob onto the stick. There is no easy way to remove this - I tried 'working it with a small screwdriver but ended up cutting through it with electricians cable snips. The knob and gaiter will then pull off. A small Jubilee clip or cable tie can be used to refit it.
Its rather a unique fitting so don't expect any of the aftermarket gear knobs to be straight-forward to install.

Cheers Spike

Paul I put the Audi sport one on instead, its much nicer but costs about £50 plus £20 for the gaitor so not cheap, buy from vagparts.com and use your club discount, looks much better than horrible after market ones

thanks fellas
ive bought a audi sporty one from an sline a4 and am going to give that a go i do agree the aftermarket ones probably make the car look naff.

Paul

pc759 said:
thanks fellas
ive bought a audi sporty one from an sline a4 and am going to give that a go i do agree the aftermarket ones probably make the car look naff.
Paul

Hi Paul,

I have replaced my gear knob and gaiter with aftermarket equivalents and I am pleased with the results. See link below and attached picture:

http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?p=28231#post28231

The job itself is straight forward and the MOMO replacements that I purchased were a perfect fit. Since the post above, (link), I have actually changed the gear knob again with yet another MOMO one and this was available as a direct Audi/VW fitment. (See attached picture).

As for ‘naff’ image, I guess that is personal taste; for me with the original bland ‘special edition’ model, I find the improvement vast and dare I say ‘sporty’.

Good luck with your choice and fitment.

Cheers,

Darren

darren sorry for any possible offence your knob look svery nice. When i wrote the request i was thinking more of those yu see for page after page on ebay
Cheers paul

pc759 said:
darren sorry for any possible offence your knob look svery nice. When i wrote the request i was thinking more of those yu see for page after page on ebay
Cheers paul

No offence taken Paul - style or 'lack of' is as individual as each of us; so even if you were not taken by my choice, then I still wouldn't be upset.

Best Wishes!!

Last edited:
Back