Gear noise on ALL 3zyl. Audi A2??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

COtt

Hi all,
I need to ask all of you who drive A2's to check for gear noises.

Basic Test Procedure:
Look for a flat and even track where you can drive in 5th gear at around 1000-1200rpm. Try to find the point, where the car is just keeping the speed. Do you hear noises from the gearbox? Silent to loud rattling?
Please report in this forum.

Reason:
Audi is using a single mass flywheel which allows the 3 cylinder engine to transfer vibrations into the gearbox. This flywheel is still in production for all 1.4's and the 1.2.

Thanks for your help,
Christian

Yep, the rattling/rumbling is there.....

Bye, Frido.

----
A2 1.2 TDI 2002 silver, CC, DIS, Apple iPod :)

Mine hasn´t that problem, as far as I can say.

I had a rattling such as you say, but Audi changed the ?Aufhängungslager? (don´t know that in english, sorry) at the right front, and now there are no more problems.

Wolfgang

2001 A2 1.4 TDI/black/open sky,sport seats, cruise controll,16" alloys, radio symphony+bose +++

Christian,

If my gearbox had a “silent rattle” then I never heard it. Beyond that I cannot recall any strange noises at any speed. Audi engines always seem to make a noise which is different than other petrol cars, but I have never understood the reason why.

Regards
John Disdale

quote:Originally posted by staen
I had a rattling such as you say, but Audi changed the ?Aufhängungslager? (don´t know that in english, sorry) at the right front, and now there are no more problems.

According to Google's translation tools
Aufhängungslager = "hanging up camp"

Glad I could clear that up for everyone ;).
viffer

Did the test and the noises are there! Need to see my dealer next week.

Regards,
John Dusdale

PS: 1.4TDI /2002

Christian

I get a 'knocking noise' in the circumstances you mention and in particular when you take your foot off the gas pedal - I have no idea what it is. I did report this to my local Audi dealer but they said there was no problem with it! Has been doing it since I owned it at 11k (now done 20k). Is there a solution?

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Hi Foghorn,

the 'knocking noise' you describe is caused by the driveshafts. Since 2002, they are glued at the wheel side. Your Audi dealer must know this issue and the dealers in Germany are advised by Audi to glue the shafts if this symptome is found. In worst case you have to change your dealer in case they are not well qualyfied..

Hope this helps.

Regards
Christian

Foghorn,

A 2001 model with a knocking noise which occurs when sharply lifting off the accelerator is 100% down to the drive shafts.This is not a guess.

Regards
John Disdale

I ditto JD-from reading all other posts on this forum, your knocking sound is the driveshaft problem rearing it's ugly head.
Ask you dealer to sort it-it is a known warranty issue and there is a fix.

Good luck!.

Steve - 2003 1.4SE petrol, Silver, black/black interior

Thanks for the advice but I am unsure if it is coming from the drive shaft despite having a mechanical knowledge that only extends to dropping the front flap and fuelling up!

You do not have to lift of the accelerator sharply to get the noise - it occurs at the point when the revs are just above the point that the engine starts to judder because you are in the wrong gear (?). In fact I tend to notice it more when I'm on a roundabout and have eased off the gas to slow the car instead of the brake - although I would say that the cornering aspect is irrelevant. The question is - is it the drive shafts or not. It is noticeable as my resident 'expert' (wife) has asked "Whats that noise?"

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

I had the same noise, I think. Went to my dealer, and he's changed both bearings of the MacPhersons. A bearing is a "Lager" in German (and Lager is ....... Cheers!).
Maybe the Aufhängunslager is the bearing of the MacPherson?
Anyway, since my dealer replaced both bearings, the noise has gone. It seems there are more solutions to solve this noise-problem, or we're talking about different problems with different solutions.
Confusing, this.
I'll have a break, I think.

Regards,

JanF

2001 1.4 Petrol Exclusive
Cobalt Blue Metallic

JanF,

Perhaps there are variations on a theme, but the main point in that we all know Audi dealers have replaced the drive shafts on countless hundreds of A2’s – then resulting in a change in design at the factory. Its common news, but not apparently to “Foghorns” dealer.

Regards
John Disdale

JDi, the 'Design Change' in factory: They glue the driveshafts in; just like the dealers are now doing.

Foghorn, your problem is most propably the driveshaft AND the Single-Mass-Flyweel! Get the driveshaft glued in (2d). You will notice, that the dealer is doing this w/o checking the car...they are very aware of this fault. Then check for the remaining noises.

Regards
John Dusdale

I recall John Dusdale having the drive shafts rectified on his own car. He is however one of the very few on the forum who has ever made mention of the fly wheel, so something tells me that he either knows what he is talking about or has an Uncle that does.

Regards
John Disdale

Hi JDi, very simple: There is an entry in the AUDI Dealer Handbook (propably secret). It describes the single mass flywheel aas root cause of this noise transfer into the gearbox. Countermeasure: None! Advice: Stop working on this ! The singe mass flywheels are still in mass prodaction as of today.

Funny, isn't it? Seems that A2 owner are a bunch of idiots for Audi and there is no reason for Audi to produce a car aon the A4/A6/A8 quality level for this group of customers.

Regards
John Dusdale

Had this noise since I bought the new car (3L version) three month ago. Loud ratteling! Reported it yesterday to my Audi dealer and the mechanic has no idea what it is. On 25th Nov they try to repair it...

BTW: Hello to everyone! My first posting in this forum...

A2 3L 1.2l, azur-blue with blue interior (like my old Smart…), climate control, style- + advance-package, winter package, radio "concert"

Skasie Hallo Frag mal den Frido (sein Forum Name lautet auch so ) der ist aus Deutschland und hat auch den kleinen A2 3l vielleicht kann der Dir weiter helfen !!!!!
Und willkommen im Club

Thomas Giblin

Skasie,

Audi is not informing the dealers properly. They have an entry in their handbook for the 1.4l versions, but not for 1.2l version. Push your dealer to give you a test drive on another 1.2l for comparison.
Fact is also, that the noise occures in an range, which the automatic gear system selects. It's not the 'stupid' driver, selecting a wrong rpm or gear! I like to hear the Audi prase 'Stand der Technik', too. Maybe at Audi.....

I am fighting with this noise/Audi now for more than 6month and must say that this is a construction/design fault from Audi! We don't need to accept this as a customer or did someone tell you about this 'feature' before you have bought the car?

Regards
John Dusdale

Thomas, herzlichen Dank für die Info!

John,
as far as I understood this thread the rattling noise seems to be a "normal" construction fault which is harmless to the car. I must only explain to any new passenger that the A2 will NOT break down at the next corner. You own a 1.4l A2(?) Is it the same problem with 1.4l engines? When I bring my car for repair on monday I will try to get another A2 for comparison but I think without luck. This is one of the biggest Audi dealers in Frankfurt and among the approx. 20 cars in their showroom are ZERO A2's.

The 1.2l A2 makes a lot of unusual noises during driving, since the gearbox is always doing something. Even when you approach a red traffic light the car switches from 5th gear, to 4, 3, 2, 1 always trying to break with the engine to spare some fuel.

A2 3L 1.2l, azur-blue with blue interior (like my old Smart…), climate control, style- + advance-package, winter package, radio "concert"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back