Gearbox leak

Coxyboy

Oil leaking from top of gearbox 14tdi 75 any ideas
20240408_072645.jpg

I don’t think that is oil, it looks more like an emulsion of oil and water.
I wouldn’t drive that until I’d dropped the oil and investigated. My thoughts are a water leak into the gearbox, needs fixing and fresh oil. Drains need checking and if necessary fixing.

Bizarre colour for oil - it's more similar to what you see under the oil cap when there is condensation or a head gasket failure.

More pertinently, how is it getting there? That was where I have had diesel pooling when the pump sprung a leak, as well as coolant when the coolant sensor housing was leaking down the side of the block.

Is the drain cup that stops water dribbling into the top of the gearbox selector in place?

Edited - that's what is in the foreground.

Is the reverse light switch on the side of the gearbox selector tower leaking oil down the sides?

From the Topran logo visible it is clear that the gear selection cables have had some work and the end catches have been changed, suggesting maybe the selector has been removed at some point - although how sludge out of the box would end up pooling there is again unclear unless it was an overspill during the work (although this looks fresh and recent). What is the gearchange like?

Bizarre colour for oil - it's more similar to what you see under the oil cap when there is condensation or a head gasket failure.

More pertinently, how is it getting there? That was where I have had diesel pooling when the pump sprung a leak, as well as coolant when the coolant sensor housing was leaking down the side of the block.

Is the drain cup that stops water dribbling into the top of the gearbox selector in place?

Edited - that's what is in the foreground.

Is the reverse light switch on the side of the gearbox selector tower leaking oil down the sides?

From the Topran logo visible it is clear that the gear selection cables have had some work and the end catches have been changed, suggesting maybe the selector has been removed at some point - although how sludge out of the box would end up pooling there is again unclear unless it was an overspill during the work (although this looks fresh and recent). What is the gearchange like?
Gearbox just got worse over last few days new tower fitted 2 year ago, I will wash off and take a look

I’ve reflected on my answer; it is definitely coming out of the gearbox and not dripping there? You have no engine oil in your coolant and not coolant in your engine oil. If either are contaminated the source may not be the gearbox. If both are clean then back to the gearbox but it would have to be almost full with water.

Is it possible to take a few more photos with lighting from higher up, also the coolant expansion tank reservoir and from a more sideways angle, at the diesel pump / side of the engine, and inside the oil cap on top of the engine.

Looking at the liquid again - are quite you sure you've not spilled a Cappuccino ? :)

20240408_072645.jpg

Hi, if the cap removes easily you can check the height of oil in the gearbox with an improvised dip stick.

I second what has been said.
Check the bonnet water drain is securely fastened in the locating hole the lower end.
Drain the gear oil and add some fresh oil.

Good luck

:)👍

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 122061
Hi, if the cap removes easily you can check the height of oil in the gearbox with an improvised dip stick.

Check the bonnet water drain is securely fastened in the locating hole the lower end.
Drain tha gear oil and add some fresh oil.

Good luck

Water drain fine iv washed down taken for drive not a drop to be seen, I will change the oil and keep a eye on it over next few days

View attachment 122061

Drain the gear oil and add some fresh oil.

Good luck

Just got back home after washing it down and looks like it's coming out of that black cap what would cause this ??

Water or some other liquid has got into the gearbox and mixed with oil.
Water usually drops in there from the bonnet drain cup lower tab not being slotted into the hole in the mounting plate.
You could change the gear oil and put a good few miles on the car and then change it again, you'll probably be alright. The gearbox maybe gummed up and a bit rusty in parts but it's cheaper to do a couple of oil replacements to see how it goes.

Water or some other liquid has got into the gearbox and mixed with oil.
Water usually drops in there from the bonnet drain cup lower tab not being slotted into the hole in the mounting plate.
You could change the gear oil and put a good few miles on the car and then change it again, you'll probably be alright. The gearbox maybe gummed up and a bit rusty in parts but it's cheaper to do a couple of oil replacements to see how it goes.
That's what I'm thinking water has got in and now being forced out so I will drain fill with new drive for week then put fresh in....

20240408_175837.jpg20240408_175813.jpg20240408_175748.jpg20240408_175858.jpg

Hi,
Has your bonnet still got the rubber valves? They help to direct the water into the cup

That's what I'm thinking water has got in and now being forced out so I will drain fill with new drive for week then put fresh in....
1.7 litres is the specified lubricant quantity so any more is water, drain into a clear water bottle etc to see colour & allow to settle out.

Definitely water and oil mixed so much so it's coming out of the breather in the tower, I had gear oil come out from here but that's another story lol!

Drain and refill the box however for me when this happens I write the box off and throw a much superior 02R box in.
75w gl-4 oil, which can be had for £23 for 5 litres and the correct A2 spec

Back