Gearbox question 90TDI to 75 TDI

SauMart

Hi guys,

got my beauty to a garage for a bad gear changing (3rd gear especially). Does a gearbox from 90 TDi fits to 75 TDI ? It is the same, or has the longer gears or something? Have a car on a jack, waiting for a decision, so fast replies are welcome. Thanks. I'd search google as well, but you're my hope too :) cheers

Dualmass flywheel has nothing to do with the size of the gearbox itself. ATL gearbox match P&P to your car.

Gearbox from ATL has a longer 4 and 5 gear but I don't remember the ratio.

Regards,
Trepek.

The 90 has slightly longer gear ratios at the top end, but not sure what other differences there are.

yeah, I know that topic. And I didn't knew that JDD is with the dualmass flywheel, that would be a bargain..eh

GRJ gearbox have different OEM number clutch housing but I think that it is because ATL have larger clutch plate.

Have you made double sure it's not just the gearchange cable needing adjustment-that can cause all sorts of problems?

Have you made double sure it's not just the gearchange cable needing adjustment-that can cause all sorts of problems?
Good point. You should use the gear change sekector setting process before buying any gearbox. It is far more likrly to be that than an internal gearbox fault.

There is a "how to" on the "how to" index thread or search you tube for A2 gear adjust.

It could be a free option for you.

Strve B

yeah, mechanics made that, they said that this is more likely to be syncro fault:/ that was the very first thing I told them to do.

yeah, mechanics made that, they said that this is more likely to be syncro fault:/ that was the very first thing I told them to do.
Ok but it would have to be a strange synchro fault to cause that.
The first sign of a synchro fault is often a slight "crunch" when changing gear quickly. The A2 boxes do have a history of a synchro fault but only the crunch.

I would still suspect the gear linkage more than the synchro, but i suppose the mechanic knows best, especially if he is proficient with gearbox Faults.

I always prefer eliminating the no/low cost options first.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi,

For reference, only 1st gear is the same between 75 and 90HP TDI gearboxes.

A2 1.4 TDI 75HP / 55KW
EEA,EWQ,GPK
GearRatioActual drive ratio
Input9 + 17
134/93.77812.804
236/172.1187.178
334/251.3604.609
434/350.9713.291
534/450.7562.562
Final drive61/183.389

A2 1.4 TDI 90HP / 66KW
GRJ
GearRatioActual drive ratio
Input9 + 16
134/93.77812.804
233/162.0636.992
330/231.3044.419
428/310.9033.060
528/400.7002.372
Final drive61/183.389

regards

Andrew

Last edited:
Ok but it woukd have to be a strange synchro fault to cause that.
The first sign of a synchro fault is often a slight "crunch" when changing gear quickly. The A2 boxes do have a history of a synchro fault but only the crunch.

I would still suspect the gear linkage more than the synchro, but i suppose the mechanic knows best, especially if he is proficient with gearbox Faults.

I always prefer eliminating the no/low cost options first.

Steve B

Steve, there was crunch when changing from 2nd to 3rd, quickly, as you described. That was what I had in my mind when saying "bad gear changing". That was quite rare thing, but recently it was happening every run (not every gear change, but on every car trip there must be a moment when it happens). So I think it is the case. Also the clutch was worn, so my little fellow will get good Christmas presents :) and the timing belt change will be done tomorrow (as it is waiting for clutch and is apart) so I hope my A2 will be alive for another 90 000 km :)

Andrew, thanks for post, because there wasn't such info in there!

Now i understand.

So yes, a gearbox rebuild is required to resolve the crunch.
The clutch at the same time means a saving on labour costs.
Getting the cambelt (timing belt as you called it) done is great for "peace of mind"

So as you say, you shoukd have a lot more happy motoring now.

It is always very pleasant when annoying little problems are resolved.

Nice one.

Steve B

Last edited:
yes, and the cam belt change should be done in next 10 000km (actually I don't know when it was done) and assuming that I haven't changed it when bought the car (which is common at ours when you buy a used car) it is the high time to do this.
So I hope I'll get a saving on labour cost :)

Thanks for answers guys!

Last edited:
Back