Gearbox Selector Issues

wilco184

Member of the year 2015
Hello,

I am having some issues with the gearbox and gearbox selector on my TDI, with the EWQ gearbox.

A while ago, I adjusted the gearbox cable tension to rectify reverse gear being very difficult to engage. This was fixed by the adjustment, and has been fine ever since. A few days ago, more serious issues came back, and I need some help identifying what is wrong and what I could do to fix it.

The neutral point of the stick feels very 'loose' from side to side, almost as if a spring has become detached that centres the stick. It will return to the centre, but it feels very loose and the tension is no where near what it used to be. First and second gear engage fine. When changing from second to third, the stick does not centre back to its origin (below third) like it used to, it seems to want to stay in the first and second gate so to speak. As a result, I've changed down to first by mistake when accelerating, instead of changing up to third. Of course, this has caused the car to launch its nose to the ground and the revs to rise near the limiter; luckily, I caught it in time and dipped the clutch so no damage has been done, but it's scary none the less to be in a potential over rev situation. I've tried re-adjusting the gearbox cables, but to no avail. Nothing feels wrong with the gearbox, but obviously some part of the selector mechanism has gone wrong somewhere. The car is drivable still, but I'm having to take extreme care when changing from second to third, to the point where driving is hindered quite badly and not at all what I'd call 'enjoyable'.

Are there any common problems with any part of the selector mechanism and does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be done to rectify this?

Many thanks,

Matt.

The bearing in the selector can fail giving similar symptoms.
Try manually shifting using the selector on the box itself (engine off of course !!!!)
if that feels nice and tight and seems to work as it should then the problem lays elsewhere.
But I would bet that it feels sloppy here too which means replacing the selector mechanism.
There is a recent thread on that subject from someone who had a failed bearing.

Steve B

Thanks for that, Steve. I'll check it out when I get home.

I found a thread about the 02J box over at the TDIclub forum, where the sleeve bearing is mentioned, I assume this is what's known to fail? It's number 2 on the list, the link is here. https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=409035 If I check it when I get home and it is what's at fault, it doesn't look too difficult so I'll look at getting the parts ordered.

Thanks for the help,

Matt.

EDIT: I have checked the selector at the gearbox end of the cables and whilst there is very little side to side movement of the shaft, when pushing the mechanism up and down, the bearing sleeve feels very rough. It seems very likely that this is the cause of my issues. I will get the parts ordered.

Last edited:
Back