Gearbox shifting problem.

Hello all.

My a2 1.4 AUA was running flawlessly for the last year not a single problem. But the happiness comes to end :D .
One mount ago the car started to get random problems with downshift from 4 to 3 gear. The problems is noticeable only when the car is moving. The first think i do was to change the gearbox oil 75-90 and lubricating all the shifter links. The problem still remains ,i try allso to downshift slowly from 4 to 3 gear no change allso. The gearbox isn't making any strange noise. When i try to downshift and the problems appears the gear leaver is stopping (stucking) right before 3 gear engaging point.
So the last step for me is to try adjusting procedure for the gear links? Any other suggestion will be helpful.

PS. i know about that gearbox is weak A2.
Also the drain from the bonnet is fine.

Is there any other weak point in the cables system that i need to check ?
There are several places for slack to occur, worn ball/socket at base of gearstick, nylon bushes/sliders around top of gear selector tower and there's also a bearing in the selector tower. Getting someone to move the gearstick while watching the selector tower as well as gaining access to the gearstick ball would be useful. I used this video (and some aluminium cut out a drinks can to get 5th gear working better.

Can you downshift into 3rd if you double-declutch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No the double-declutch is not helping.

There are several places for slack to occur, worn ball/socket at base of gearstick, nylon bushes/sliders around top of gear selector tower and there's also a bearing in the selector tower. Getting someone to move the gearstick while watching the selector tower as well as gaining access to the gearstick ball would be useful. I used this video (and some aluminium cut out a drinks can to get 5th gear working better.

It the weekend i will check more in depth the mecanizam.

Hello all.

Yesterday i make a full inspection of the shifting mechanism.
The only worn part i can find is this one LINK the Sliding shoe.
I ordered a new one but i will take 1 2 weak to arrive in Bulgaria.

Ps re-adjust the gear change cables first and installing a aluminium shim is not helping. The downshift from 4 to 3 gear is still sticky from time to time.

I had that problem on my AUA and it was the bearing in the shift tower - it's a sealed unit (unlike the Tdi ones) so you have to replace the whole thing. I got an original new old deadstock one and it fixed the problem straightaway. Pretty easy to fit as well. Car got scrapped and I removed the shift tower with only a few thousand miles use on it - can put it on the market place here if you're interested.

Back