Getting better MPG with age?

Ally

My little Ally has recently turned over 45,000 miles, and in the past few months I have experienced improved mpg. :)

I purchased the car last June with 24,000 on the clock and was disappointed with the mpg compared to my wife's 75tdi, which now has in the region of 96,000 miles under its belt.

Anyone else have experience of better mpg as the car gets older?

My little Ally has recently turned over 45,000 miles, and in the past few months I have experienced improved mpg. :)

Could it be the summer months. I feel I get better fuel consumption in the summer. Here's a graph of my fuel consumption which does show the lows in the winter though the highs seem to come in early summer (May).

Last edited:
Same here, consumption is worse in winter, probably due to longer cold start regime. Perversely cold air is generally denser, and therefore has more oxygen and can give more power / better efficiency. From your data Alan it would seem that the optimum air temp occurs in the spring! I also noted that mpg was worse on Pirelli P6000, again I have seen the same thing. About 8mpg difference between Conti premium contact and a P6000 (rear) Kuhmo (front) mix.

Cheers,

David

I have had my 75 tdi for less than one month, I think it was left standing for a period of time before I bought it, over the last three fill ups I have used Millers fuel system cleaner with Shell diesel to get 50, 52 and 58mpg.
My old golf that the A2 replaces would always get 58mpg with 165k miles on the clock.

Back