Getting Lower MPG in Derby

What's you average MPG?!

• Total voters
Hey everyone

Just recently I moved from London to derby...I was getting 49/50 MPG average in London, but for some strange reason, since i moved to Derby I am getting lower and lower Mileage, I am now on 45.5 MPG!!

I was wondering if this has to do with the way of driving.

In London due to the congestion, I had to drive slower, being outside I am pushing the car a little more, and driving way more frequently, but nothing super crazy and outside of the ordinary.

I've been trying to drive a bit more like London, a bit slower and with as lower revs as possible. But nothing seems to work

Has anyone experience the same? It might be due to a fault but just had the car checked by Skipton and everything seems fine.
@Mike: Do you think this might be due to the fuel filter needed changing? Or maybe that unconfirmed oil leak below that car, that we weren't sure about?

Please let me know of your experiences and any help would be greatly appreciated. ;)

I only ever drive around town and average about 40MPG from an entire tank (1.4 TDI 75). I found that the change from 15" light aluminium wheels to heavier 17"s lowered the mpg to this from just under 50. If you are really concerned about mpg and dont currently have aluminium wheels I would recommend the lighter alloys :) Also once I remapped my 75 the town driving mpg rose from an average of 37 to 41 :)

Edd.

I only get 46.4MPG, town and motorway 30miles per day m-way. I fill up with a full tank every 7 days.

Thanks Edd & Richard

I actually have a 1.4 TDI 75, with 17" alloys.

Do you guys see a decline on MPG as the car gets older? Mine has 88000 or so miles on the clock.
I got it with 83000 and as mentioned it was doing 50mpg.

I guess is not a big decline compared to you guys, but why all of a sudden?

Driver changes - Have you got lots of Hills to go up and down? Are you being Heavier acceleration/more braking?

Fuel - Is the diesel up there still winter diesel perhaps? Try a different garage. You could also try buying a bottle of Millers Diesel Treatment and run a few tanks with that.

Car - or perhaps your lambda sensors are starting to go? Or the MAF? Maybe run a scan on VAGCOM to see if any fault codes are being logged?

Weight - have you got something in the boot you're lugging around you don't need. A dead body perhaps?!

Tyres - when did you last check your tyre pressures?

@ humps
Remap actually improved it a bit! Used to get 38ish, had all the filters changed but no improvement, I guess every engine is unique and my one happens to have poor mpg :eek:

Peter,

I am in the Derby area too (just to rule out geographic location! lol). I have a TDI with 102k on the clock. I regularly brim to brim and calculate my MPG.

Are your figures coming from calculation or the DIS? I don't have DIS so I calculate.

I find it hard to get much less than 55MPG on my regular journeys. Approaches 60mpg if I go on motorway runs. Dont think i've ever had less then 50MPG. However I must say since I got my A2 I do drive more economically, but still like to give it a bootfull now and again. I spend little time in traffic though as I work in Repton so I have a lovely country road commute.

Sorry I can't help much on your diagnosis but I thought some numbers might be useful. The filling station on the toyota roundabout services (Shell) does the V-Power Diesel... im convinced my engine runs better on it. There is a thread about it on here.

I would say that after a new fuel and air filter at the service done recently the engine revs to the red line with much greater ease. Definately wasn't a service placebo effect.
Gary

Last edited:
@Dan: Thanks for the awesome tips...
From the points described the only one I can see as a problem might be the fuel, I had my tyre pressure checked last month, and I just checked the boot and nope, no dead bodies in there, totally empty...

I'll try as Gary suggests to fill the tank with V Power, see what the results are...

@Gary: Hi Neighbour...
I do get my MPG from the DIS, and the mileage you're getting was the type I was hoping to get in here, a bit more than London you know, so that's mainly the cause of my worry.
I think I know which petrol station you are mentioning, I went past it the other day and didn't thought they had V-Power as it seems small, I make sure a do a whole full tank of that goodness next time, see if it improves a bit. ;) Thanks for the tip.
And hope to see you around Derby. ;)

I used to do a commute of 17 miles and never got less than 50 mpg over those 17 miles. I now do a commute of 3 miles and I struggle to get over 30 mpg.

When I do get the chance to get out of town and spend some time in 5th gear, my mpg improves greatly.

Things I have found that really hit mpg are:

Short, slow journeys starting with a cold engine. Diesel engines take longer than petrol engines to reach normal temperature, especially if the cold engine spends a long time just idling.

John.

You can look at my googlestats - see sig - 2 to 3 years stats. In that time fuel consumption has droped from 62 to c58 (TDi 75). What is constant: Tescos fuel. What's changed: from only w/e driving c150 miles cross country to short daily 1 ml to station and the c150 miles is now 50% dual carriageway/motorway where it is difficult to keep at 65mph. I did notice a step change when I bought new tyres last Nov. I went from noisy hard tyres to softer but much quieter tyres.

Car is of course a few years older!

Our TDi 90 usually averages around 42mpg, however this mostly short journeys. On the Scottish Cruise the DIS average jumped to 51.4, so I'm looking forward to measuring Ada's performance on our journey south with Skipton Cruise at the end of the month! :D

mpg

i travel into nottingham from mansfield every night 26 mile round trip remap and 18" wheels and i get 400 miles to a tank,i'm not sure what how many to the gallon that is :):):)

Thanks everyone, I think I have my answer...;)

Seems like the problem as Murdo and Alan mentioned, is that I am now doing short distances...

It takes me less than 10 minutes to get to work every day...

Thanks so much for the help guys, it's been really interesting to see the chart too...;)
I actually thought the majority of people where getting a bit less than 50MPG.

And Alan thanks for the chart, really helpfull and insightful.

Today i finished a brim to brim consumption check. I got a 49 mpg average over 30% city(temperature gauge not having time to move), 40% interurban and 30% interurban-potholed and mountain driving. That's using EVO(the slightly more expensive sort) diesel and 30% of the road having the aircon on. And boy, don't get me started about the local roads...
All in all, a pretty good average.:D

Back