glove box light

Ok.. this must mean that I have fixed all the major stuff and the OCD is kicking in...

Should the glove box light come on when you open the lid?.. mine come on (and stays on, I can see the light bleeding out when it is dark) when I switch on the lights but no when I open the lid....

Is there is switch in the hinge that is 'sticking', or is this normal behaviour?

Mine is exactly the same, the light stays on in the dark when the lid is close but it is a pig of a job to get the glovebox out

Chris

I had this issue and the plastic part of the hinge that breaks the switch contact to switch the light off when the glove box is closed had snapped. A good helping of expoxy later and it was fixed.

There are instructions on this site showing how to removed the glove box. It's quite possible you have the same issue.

I had this issue and the plastic part of the hinge that breaks the switch contact to switch the light off when the glove box is closed had snapped. A good helping of expoxy later and it was fixed.

There are instructions on this site showing how to removed the glove box. It's quite possible you have the same issue.

cheers.. the manual kind of contradicts itself so I wanted a second opinion before I started to take things apart..

.. another job for the weekend along with fitting my new boot latch (if it arrives on time)

glovebox light issue fix/mod

I had this issue on my tdi when I first got it, didnt realise it was an issue with others as i would of writen a how to.

The lever that breaks the contacts when the door is opened and turns the light out breaks off, I couldnt see a way to replace this lever and came up with the following.

The glovebox is not too hard to remove.

A few torx screws to remove the glovebox, remove the passenger door sill plastic (a good tug normally does it) and plastic pannel to the right of the passengers feet.

I used a switch from maplin £2.69
link

http://www.maplin.co.uk/v3-style-alarm-tamperswitch-20406

I then had to fix the switch to the side of the casing of the glovebox (looking at the glovebox sat in the passenfger seat i fixed it to the side nearest the radio) so the metal lever of the new switch would contact the lid mechanism when closed and break the circuit, reroute the wiring and solder the connections,i used black self tapping screws to fix the switch into place screwing it into place from the inside of the glovebox, the result is the glovebox light now works fine and i cannot see the switch or lever when open.

I know its hard to imagine without pictures (sorry i have none for this mod)

Simon

Sorry to slightly hijack here, but my glovebox light has never come on ever. I tested the bulb by switching it for the one in the boot, where it worked fine.

Any ideas?

Sorry to slightly hijack here, but my glovebox light has never come on ever. I tested the bulb by switching it for the one in the boot, where it worked fine.

Any ideas?

sounds like you need to pull the box out and check the connectors, wires and terninations...

Back