Glovebox trouble...

Brabazon

Wonder if anyone can help with this...

Got my car back from my mechanic yesterday and noticed almost immediately that the glovebox light wasn't working. He'd had the glovebox off to replace a motor in the aircon and I just assumed he'd forgotten to reconnect the light when he was putting it back in.

As I took the glovebox off to fit my Dension a few months ago I thought I'd just pop it off today and reconnect the light...

However...

I discovered there's a little lever 'switch' which acts as a circuit breaker and separates two metal strips when the glovebox is closed, and when the glovebox is opened it moves so as to allow the strips to touch and switch on the light. This has been broken off and just pushed into position between the strips to keep the light 'off' constantly.

It's a spindly little lever that looks badly designed anyway and brittle, but it seems to be integrally moulded into the glovebox lid and not easily replaceable.

Can anyone advise if this is possible to fix (cheaply) or would it mean a whole new glovebox! I'm going to try to bodge something together in the meantime.

Bit miffed.

Any advice much appreciated!

Jon

Thanks, Spike. I never thought of araldite, but I've managed to fix the little plastic bit back on using a little strip of metal and a tiny bolt. It's all working ok again and I think it'll hold firm.

Thank god my old dad has jam jars full of bits of old junk in his shed, I was able to cobble something together!

If it doesn't hold I'll try araldite next time...

Thanks again,

Jon

Thought i'd jump on this thread rather than start another......

My problem is, that my glove box light is on all the time !!!! when car is running that is. :confused::confused::confused:

good possibility the lever has broken off and the contacts are touching all the time. i have heard it break off leaving both scenarios, always on or always off. easy to glue back on with the glovebox out.

gary

Back