Got the DA out and showed her some love

S2Dicky

First time using the DA today had it for ages but never had time to use it.

I think the old girl scrubbed up well

1dcb705ee3a83dec966bebc7efbc414e.jpg

f789d849b84d78aa2e2ddb7cd00b7b77.jpg

d05e8c3411b96604571ddf9b8f7d42ce.jpg

392c441df32eef7a89cea54ecebdd1a6.jpg

3e8a86f1624356e07c33a173637d76e7.jpg

Looking very good, well worth the effort. Bit of trim restorer on the black plastics next and your done :)

Looking very good, well worth the effort. Bit of trim restorer on the black plastics next and your done :)

I agree but just ran out of time, my wife was due to give birth last Monday so I am borrowed time with any little jobs

Mine is in drastic need of a clean, and a respray in places (which makes me lazy regards cleaning :rolleyes:). Very jealous of your alloy centre caps too, pristine!
Have to ask though, which springs and dampers are you running? Mine sits exactly the same and I can't help but feel that she's ~2cm low at the back.
Right, cleaning mine tomorrow, inside and out. Cheers for the inspiration / shaming, your car looks great.

Impressive result! Must have taken ages

I'd like to get mine into a great condition but don't know how I should go about it. What are the recommendations?

Hilary

Impressive result! Must have taken ages

I'd like to get mine into a great condition but don't know how I should go about it. What are the recommendations?

Hilary

Hi Hilary

There is a great deal of information about technique and products available on the net with websites such as detailingworld dedicated to it.

My basic routine is to wash the car, claybar it, machine polish with Meguirs ultimate compound and then wax. It normally takes me about 3 hours to do.

I'm sure someone who knows a lot more about detailing will be able to give you more detailed advice.

to get the "quick" shine which lasts six months; spray 2:1 diluted liquid all-purpose cleaner onto all wheels, especially in the crevices. Spray similar on to all shuts including the petrol cap, doors themselves, and the rear hatch. Agitate with a small paintbrush, let it sit for 5 minutes while you do the rest. Rinse the shuts first, trying not to get water all over the interior (easiest to wipe the tops with a "dreadlock" microfibre, or it'll drip).

Two-bucket wash - one bucket soapy water, the other clean - off the car into the clean to be rinsed, leaves all the junk in there. Fresh clean soapy water on to the car each time that way. Work from the top to the bottom. Rinse it when you're all done. Rinse all the wheels off of their foam, most of the dirt should rinse off if you did it correctly.
Clay with Bilt hamber, rinse again. Clay taken an opal-fruit-sized piece at a time, dragged over the paint surface and folded into itself when it's dirty. When the whole thing is brown, get a new bit.
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection. Let it dry, polish off with soft cotton, then apply Collinite 476. Polish off with Microfiber and then cotton. Takes me around 2-2.5 hours including the 30 min EGP drying. I'm working it, though, as I'm paying for every minute in the washbox. Collinite can be done a panel at a time and I'd not bother if the temperature where you are is much below 23C, as it's much, much easier to polish off when it's hot.

Need to get the DA on mine as well, at some point, the paint is beginning to show its age.

- Bret

Dual Action. It means the buffer moves oscillates in different motions rather than a rotary that oscillates on the same centre point. The DA is safer to use than the rotary.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments

Mine is in drastic need of a clean, and a respray in places (which makes me lazy regards cleaning :rolleyes:). Very jealous of your alloy centre caps too, pristine!
Have to ask though, which springs and dampers are you running? Mine sits exactly the same and I can't help but feel that she's ~2cm low at the back.
Right, cleaning mine tomorrow, inside and out. Cheers for the inspiration / shaming, your car looks great.

I'm guessing the car has the factory springs and dampers not had it long and not changed them myself.

Also typically it rained today but not bothered as well pleased with the results of yesterday's hard work.

be47ea6c4a386853382c9f9a287a2905.jpg

DA's are good but not as good as a rotary .. However, they are safer.. I use a Chicago Pneumatic rotary with 3Ms colour coded mop & polish system .. It's the dogs nads .. I've done it professionally so have some experience.. The DA looks good in daylight conditions but get into artificial light & you can still see surface scratches .. These are all eliminated with a rotary & the right products .. I've used Farecla G3 & G10 compounds & they are fine for hand polishing.. But the 3 M's compounds are brilliant.. I've got 3 A2s .. Which I will post photos online soon..

I used the rotary a while back on a friend's 97 C-class, and with some medium-cut menz and a medium hard pad we got all sorts of scratches out. amazing stuff. Mine's nowhere near as bad, but there are still some things I can now see :( Having said that, it does get brushed 1-2 times per day in Winter, so it's held out pretty damned well.

- Bret

Back