Grease for front hub bearing installation?

CrispyEdd

United-Kingdom
Does anyone have advice on a grease to use, only lightly on the surface of the bearing, to help press in the front hub bearings please?

Molykote BR2 Plus 100G was suggested in another web search but not easy to find and unsure if correct type Audi recommends?

Molykote grease -G 052 723 A2- is what the manual says

When I did mine they did go in without, normally I try and do everything by the manual but I was a bit stranded and in a rush at the time…
I need to do a full rebuild of the front suspension so I may just replace them then and do the job properly, currently it’s on a pair of £35 febi ones so not too big of a loss…

Molykote grease -G 052 723 A2- is what the manual says

When I did mine they did go in without, normally I try and do everything by the manual but I was a bit stranded and in a rush at the time…
I need to do a full rebuild of the front suspension so I may just replace them then and do the job properly, currently it’s on a pair of £35 febi ones so not too big of a loss…
thank you, what would be your preffered bearing? SKF?

thank you, what would be your preffered bearing? SKF?
Not looked into it yet so no idea I’m afraid, I’d just be looking through here to see what people have used in the past

The febi ones did look decent though, sometimes febi parts can feel a bit rough and crude, but these were nicely machined and seemed high quality to me, though they’ve only been on the car for 3-4000 miles so far…

Proving hard to find any ofthis or a cheaper alternative, anyone know what can be used on the bearings please?

G 052750A2​

I use the NLGI no2 for this kind of job.
1000000372.jpg

Wiki

If you haven't done this job before be sure to check the bearing is going into the hub carrier squarely. Its a pig when a wonky installed bearing gets half stuck in the hub and you got to reset the install tool to be an extraction tool.

Not looked into it yet so no idea I’m afraid, I’d just be looking through here to see what people have used in the past

The febi ones did look decent though, sometimes febi parts can feel a bit rough and crude, but these were nicely machined and seemed high quality to me, though they’ve only been on the car for 3-4000 miles so far…
Good Afternoon,

A copy and paste from my post from a post 3 years ago in a wheel bearing thread.

"On to brands, if you use the Google search above after a bit of reading will soon pick up that SKF and FAG are two respected brands, with evidence that Audi originally used SKF but something new to consider is SKF have recently changed their product, they no longer come with a snap ring. This to me stinks of cost cutting and a now inferior product and after all if Audi went for a hub design with a groove to accommodate the snap ring they must have thought it worthwhile. Ergo I recently bought FAG."

On to grease. Be careful about over greasing this can harm a product for example ball bearings will slide rather than roll and anyway I expect they will come with exactly the right amount of grease.

Andy

Last edited:
Good Afternoon,

A copy and paste from my post from a post 3 years ago in a wheel bearing thread.

"On to brands, if you use the Google search above after a bit of reading will soon pick up that SKF and FAG are two respected brands, with evidence that Audi originally used SKF but something new to consider is SKF have recently changed their product, they no longer come with a snap ring. This to me stinks of cost cutting and a now inferior product and after all if Audi went for a hub design with a groove to accommodate the snap ring they must have thought it worthwhile. Ergo I recently bought FAG."

On to grease. Be careful about over greasing this can harm a product for example ball bearings will slide rather than roll and anyway I expect hey will come with exactly the right amount of grease.

Andy
The grease is for the outer surface of the bearing to aid pressing the bearings into the knuckle, or at least that’s what the part number I posted earlier was for, maybe I miss interpreted the question 😂

Correct the grease is just a wipe to aid pressing back in. But it needs to be a certain type. Just not easy to find really.

I am too curious.
I can see benefits of reducing the friction at assemby and protecting against build up of rust over the years but would have thought that could be accomodated by most greases?

My only idea would be that it’s similar to the bushing lube for the wishbones in that it lubricated during assembly and then dries/cures afterwards to stop it gradually working loose.
I suspect you could probably use any grease or assembly compound, and it would likely be ok, but I think I’ll try and get hold of the proper stuff if I can when I come to do it just for added piece of mind

Correct the grease is just a wipe to aid pressing back in. But it needs to be a certain type. Just not easy to find really.

It’s available here, not particularly cheap and needs to be shipped in from Europe but I’ve been finding most stuff does… I’ve used them before though and while delivery took a little while there weren’t any import fees delivering to the uk. Easiest place to get oem bolts and stuff that I’ve found.

Be interested to know what’s in it and if it’s particularly special, cause it’s a very expensive way of buying grease if not…

Edit... (compared to the cheap multipurpose grease )

That good grase will reduce friction to a greater extent when pressing plus I read it has improved anti oxidation properties which will help when it comes to removing the bearing.
Using the right product keeps you car factory and gives peace of mind.
Alternatively, no grease and you'll rust that bearing into the hub carrier never to see the light of day again.
I shouldn't don't worry about the bearing working loose as the snap ring has a firm hold on it.
Screenshot_20240127_013900_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Edit.
I'm not a mechanic or petrochemical chemist engineer :) 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
Back