Greasing up new rear bearing?

GuruX

A2OC Donor
Went to Besiktningen (Swedish MOT) and failed on the handbrake. Went home, started with the adjuster but felt it was time to take the drums off, just to check. Said and done. Drums look good, but a brake line is in need of replacement within the next year. The right side bearing was also a bit worn, I had been hearing something vey faint for a month or so. After removing the twelve point nut , I could take the bearing off with just a little hand streangth. That's good engineering!

Ordered a new bearing on eBay. When it eventually gets here, how do I grease it up? Do I need some kind of grease packer tool?

I'm assuming that the wheel bearings are taper roller bearings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97LGtsVH87s

I'd wear disposable gloves!

Where are you adjusting the handbrake? If you can, it's always better to adjust the brake shoes up to the drum by winding out the expander that sits in between the shoes. You can usually get to this with the drum on through a hole either in the back plate, or through a wheel bolt hole.

I've never messed with drums on an A2, as our car has discs but I'm assuming the principle will be the same

Excellent link. Not sure it'll work in the A2 since you buy the bearings installed in the housing.
They look like this. Top of the bearing in this picture is the inside.
Radnabe-hinten-Polo-9N.jpg

And this is the outside
629441250.jpg

Great! Thanks Spike!
This turns out pleasant. I have never before changed the bearing in a car without having to use a puller and/or hydraulic press.

Last edited:
Back