Hagerty Festival of the Unexceptional 30 July 2022

Alan_uk

A2OC Donor
I just spoke to my daughter who says she and her partner are going to the Hagerty Festival of the Unexceptional on 31 July 2022 in Lincolnshire https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/...al-of-the-unexceptional-returns-30-july-2022/

Intrigued I looked it up. It's a car show of cars from 1967 to 1997 that are ordinary cars. in original sold condition. i.e. not modified and not fancy Porsche etc.

In the gallery of the 2021 event it struck me how boxy the cars of that period were. So in 2 years (presuming the age range moves) then the first A2s would be eligible. Now that would provide a stark contrast.

Last edited:
We're going for the first time this year. I can't wait, I love cars of that era. Looking forward to seeing some really good examples of really plain cars.

We’re going for the first time too, seen previous years on YouTube and it looked fun. We bought our ticket in advance and having supplied Gracie’s details in our application we were gratified to find we had a ”classic and unexceptional” rather than “modern” ticket, even though she might strictly be too new. Been spending the past couple of days giving her a good spruce up, even though my attempts to touch up the paintwork haven’t been a roaring success. I’ll be on the lookout for at least one other A2 🙂.

There's a guy called hubnut who is attending, he's interested in doing a video about the A2, track him down and have a chat with him.
Check out his YouTube channel,

There's a guy called hubnut who is attending, he's interested in doing a video about the A2, track him down and have a chat with him.
Check out his YouTube channel,

I follow him, most entertaining… didn’t realise he was interested in doing an A2 video though?

There, she’s scrubbed up and ready to go, the old girl’s not looking too bad - thanks Autoglym…
EB1406BB-0823-4891-A571-8CBE92F8BA8D.jpeg

That's no wall-flower. Should get plenty of attention at the show. I presume you are in the display area. Enjoy the day.

That's no wall-flower. Should get plenty of attention at the show. I presume you are in the display area. Enjoy the day.

kind of you to say so, yeah she’s looking pretty good, but don’t look too closely at the front bumper, riddled with badly repaired stone chips, which would need an expensive respray to take care of. I’m not sure exactly what the routine is to be honest, being a first-timer, all I know is that we have a ticket for the “classic and exceptional” parking area, so I suppose that’s separate from the hoi-polloi 🙂. We’re not in the concours d’ordinare, not this year at least…

kind of you to say so, yeah she’s looking pretty good, but don’t look too closely at the front bumper, riddled with badly repaired stone chips, which would need an expensive respray to take care of. I’m not sure exactly what the routine is to be honest, being a first-timer, all I know is that we have a ticket for the “classic and exceptional” parking area, so I suppose that’s separate from the hoi-polloi 🙂. We’re not in the concours d’ordinare, not this year at least…
Maybe not, but, your A2's provinance is!
👍
Mac.

Well, had a really enjoyable day. The weather just about held off though a couple of showers beforehand did their best to spoil everyone’s preparations. So many fascinating cars, a total nostalgia trip. And a really good atmosphere, people really keen to show of their pride and joy. It was nice to find several people took an interest in Gracie and had lots of questions. And had a good chat with (I assume!) @Alan_uk ’s son-in-law who took a few photos of Gracie for him. I saw a couple of other A2, one belonging to a guy who’s active on one of the A2 FB groups, proudly showing off his working OSS 🙂, and unfortunately I never saw the owner of the other one. Will definitely be back next year, great day out and even my wife (who’s not all that into cars) had a good time.

Winner of the concours de l’ordinare was a showroom fresh and truly basic Astra Mk3 Merit, though our favourite was the runner-up Skoda Estelle…

Good to hear you had a good day - it's quite a trek for you from Dorking. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your A2 and hopefully many other interesting cars from my younger days.

Well, had a really enjoyable day. The weather just about held off though a couple of showers beforehand did their best to spoil everyone’s preparations. So many fascinating cars, a total nostalgia trip. And a really good atmosphere, people really keen to show of their pride and joy. It was nice to find several people took an interest in Gracie and had lots of questions. And had a good chat with (I assume!) @Alan_uk ’s son-in-law who took a few photos of Gracie for him. I saw a couple of other A2, one belonging to a guy who’s active on one of the A2 FB groups, proudly showing off his working OSS 🙂, and unfortunately I never saw the owner of the other one. Will definitely be back next year, great day out and even my wife (who’s not all that into cars) had a good time.

Winner of the concours de l’ordinare was a showroom fresh and truly basic Astra Mk3 Merit, though our favourite was the runner-up Skoda Estelle…
Did you meet hubnut?

Did you meet hubnut?
I saw him from a distance. As I follow him on Twitter I’d dropped him a DM the day before after your comment. However his response was fairly lukewarm and suggested he didn’t want to video it so I didn’t persist at the risk of looking like a stalker.

Good to hear you had a good day - it's quite a trek for you from Dorking. I'm looking forward to seeing the photos of your A2 and hopefully many other interesting cars from my younger days.
A bit of a trek but we made an expedition of it and visited Stamford the day before, fascinating town. I wasn’t very diligent taking photos I’m afraid, they’re a bit of a random selection and no A2s unfortunately but I’ll post a few personal highlights, mostly of cars with nostalgic connections. Link to album below…

Last edited:
If you’re active on Twitter there are lots of photos there, just search for #FOTU. And in a few days I’m sure there’ll be plenty of YouTube content too.

How did I miss this thread ??!!! Hello to those I bumped in to. I had a chat with Ian. He borrowed an A2 to get back from lincs about a year ago when the Fairmont went in a ditch.. but the suspension was shot and drive like a dog, so he knows he owes the A2 an overdue rejustification. He is a bit anti vag though . I'm sure we can win him over!!

Attachments

• IMG_20220730_144203~2.jpg
    IMG_20220730_144203~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 104
  • received_1162000134345972.jpeg
    received_1162000134345972.jpeg
    281.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20220730_141218.jpg
    IMG_20220730_141218.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
  • received_1040818880157760.jpeg
    received_1040818880157760.jpeg