Have you owned your A2 from new? Please share your story

As per the title folks. If you have had your A2 from new or nearly new with the dealer network being the first owner. Please share your classic car story

I bought a car from someone who had owned the car since 10k and put 330,000k on the clock over 15 years! He was almost in tears!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has first owner Audi AG. I'm the second owner, it's been with me since 1st April 2003, having been first registered 11 Jan 2002. I picked it up with 9062 kms on the clock and it's now a tick over 183000. Longest single trip was probably the one in 2010 where I ended up in the UK, then Germany and back up, driving. 6000+kms, average of 6,x l/100. Fully loaded. And a rear bearing failure in Sweden.
I've seen +38C and -33C, cruised at 180km/h on the Autobahn, and it's probably been longer without complete door cards than with. It was the main family car for several years after we moved up here; only in the last four have we reverted to two (running) cars. Now? I'm not sure. It might be my daughter's runaround - she loves it - but we might do something else. It's impossible to find something with the tardis-like interior vs exterior dimensions, and though I would like to, it's hard to justify dropping another €1k on it in parts (tyres and belts) when other things are starting to reveal themselves.
But on a twisty road with the OSS open, it's awesome.

- Bret

Mine has first owner Audi AG. I'm the second owner, it's been with me since 1st April 2003, having been first registered 11 Jan 2002. I picked it up with 9062 kms on the clock and it's now a tick over 183000. Longest single trip was probably the one in 2010 where I ended up in the UK, then Germany and back up, driving. 6000+kms, average of 6,x l/100. Fully loaded. And a rear bearing failure in Sweden.
I've seen +38C and -33C, cruised at 180km/h on the Autobahn, and it's probably been longer without complete door cards than with. It was the main family car for several years after we moved up here; only in the last four have we reverted to two (running) cars. Now? I'm not sure. It might be my daughter's runaround - she loves it - but we might do something else. It's impossible to find something with the tardis-like interior vs exterior dimensions, and though I would like to, it's hard to justify dropping another €1k on it in parts (tyres and belts) when other things are starting to reveal themselves.
But on a twisty road with the OSS open, it's awesome.

- Bret
Thanks Bret. That's the kind of story we are after. There's a lot of love in those words.

I'm fairly certain that the common thread of anyone owning a car for 15+ years will be the thought of parting.

Picked mine up on the 7th of November 2002, having ordered it the previous summer. Story and pictures here:

I've probably spent as much again keeping it on the road.

All I can say is: I drive it every day and it still gives me great pleasure, even though the signs of wear and excessive maintenance are beginning to show. Although I don't travel as much now, it still does 20k a year. Even if I have to get another car, I doubt I'll part with mine.

I bought my June 2004 TDi 75 SE off Swindon Audi in Feb 2005 at 10,653 (Edit: supposedly demo car but more likely a mix staff/demo/courtesy car). It has now done 87,000 and other than servicing and serviceable items, or enhancements like remap and long 5th gear, it has hardly any repairs:

couple switches in the door jab, ARB, battery (really a serviceable item after 12 years), new springs and dampers (following MOT advisory on a damper, but partly an enhancement), temperature sensor, repairs to the heat shield fasteners, pair s/h headlight units, recent new front arms (steel to cast), door straps, and I'm about to fit front brake pad wear sensor cable.

I know all this as I've kept a log of all expenditure.

Body work was addressing scratches on both bumpers. Had it done by a quality paint shop into modern classic car restorations.

If you reduce it to the essentials of Repairs, Servicing and Tax it works out at £540 pa plus £767 pa for the purchase = total £1,300 pa plus the fuel of course, another £460 pa = £1,760 pa (still excludes insurance and recovery insurance)

Pretty good :)

Last edited:
Bought my TDi in May 2001 from Teesside Audi. It cost approx. £18500 including a £500 discount for no PX.
I had tried their petrol demo car a few months earlier but decided to hold out for a test drive in a diesel before deciding - and diesel it was.
The long delivery time allowed too much 'thinking' time and many changes to my perfect spec before being finalised when the build date was fixed.
My final spec started with a SE model in silver as this included aircon, fog lights etc as standard, with the addition of Open Sky, Bose, Satelite cloth trim, DIS, Symphony radio and Bose, Sports steering wheel, Aluminium trim, Reversing sensors, False boot floor and spacesaver
The salesman (Darren Ford) was brilliant and over the months I got to see every colour and trim variation and all the available options on customers cars stored in the compound before delivery.
When I collected the car, I was pleasantly surprised to find it had been given the full Superguard paint protection and upholstery treatment FOC.

The car was on the 'variable service' intervals but I changed the oil and filter myself after 500 miles, then after a year before taking it for the scheduled service at 2 years.

More info on what's gone wrong and upgrades in part 2

Cheers Spike

I bought a 1.4 petrol (AUA) in March 2001, this was the black one. It had some electrical issues from the very beginning and the dealer was unable to fix it, so the car was replaced in Nov 2002 with the blue one (BBY). I almost sold it in 2004 when my first daughter was born, but with the help of my parents I kept it and bough a Toledo 2.0 TDI as a family car.

When I moved from Hungary to Finland the first thing I have checked was that how can I import the car. I found out that it was very cheap as I have registered it as a "moving car" so I did not need to pay any import fees. I was driving from Budapest to Oulu alone in 3 days and it was the best 3 days in my life. 1500 km on the first day up to Puttgarden in 31 Jan 2014, then Stockholm, Turku and Oulu.

In the last 2 years I have spent about 4k € on the car including some tuning as well, new alloys and a new steering wheel. 2 weeks ago it has failed on MOT, the emission of CO was a little bit high. I just got the car back from the service today and they were unable to fix it, the part what they have replaced did not solve the problem. Next week I am driving to Kiruna, Sweden and going back 3 days before the MOT expires. I have booked a new appointment in the service already.

We have a small downturn (is it a valid English word? sorry about my poor language skills, I hope you got the point) in our relation now but I still love the car...

I bought a 1.4 petrol (AUA) in March 2001, this was the black one. It had some electrical issues from the very beginning and the dealer was unable to fix it, so the car was replaced in Nov 2002 with the blue one (BBY). I almost sold it in 2004 when my first daughter was born, but with the help of my parents I kept it and bough a Toledo 2.0 TDI as a family car.

When I moved from Hungary to Finland the first thing I have checked was that how can I import the car. I found out that it was very cheap as I have registered it as a "moving car" so I did not need to pay any import fees. I was driving from Budapest to Oulu alone in 3 days and it was the best 3 days in my life. 1500 km on the first day up to Puttgarden in 31 Jan 2014, then Stockholm, Turku and Oulu.

In the last 2 years I have spent about 4k € on the car including some tuning as well, new alloys and a new steering wheel. 2 weeks ago it has failed on MOT, the emission of CO was a little bit high. I just got the car back from the service today and they were unable to fix it, the part what they have replaced did not solve the problem. Next week I am driving to Kiruna, Sweden and going back 3 days before the MOT expires. I have booked a new appointment in the service already.

We have a small downturn (is it a valid English word? sorry about my poor language skills, I hope you got the point) in our relation now but I still love the car...

Please do not apologise for your English it’s far better than any of us could do in Hungarian or Finnish ? nice read thank-you...

The story continues -
I've mentioned it before but one of the first jobs I did on the car was to Waxoyl the underside. This gets topped up whenever I do any jobs on the car. Lucky for me I've got a pit so working on the underside is relatively easy. Last time I checked, all the captive studs for the 'waffle' heatshield panels were still fully intact. Same with the 'old' roll bar plastic sleeves which have not 'burst' due to rusting of the bar. Those sleeves are a great (but flawed) design. They provide a smooth, large bearing area for the rubber roll bar bushes to work on - just a pity about the rust build up between the sleeves and the roll bar which causes them to split and fall off.

First 'failure' was a roll bar drop link which happened just out of warranty. I bought a pair of genuine Audi replacements and fitted them myself.

The G263 aircon sensor was next. At the time no one had worked out a quick way to replace it so I had to take the dash out

Next was the alarm siren. The back-up battery failed which meant replacing the complete unit.

I've had 3 broken springs spread over several years. First was the drivers side front, then the passenger side rear and in the last few weeks, the passenger side front.

The 'green' coolant temp sensor failed causing a wandering temp gauge needle

Excessive play in the mounting bracket for the alloy intercooler pipe which runs across the front of the engine. Fixed by fitting a longer bolt and back nut.

Yaw sensor failed, triggering the ABS warning light

Think I need a Part 3 to list the upgrades

Cheers Spike

I'm not sure whether you can source this in Finland (I can help out if not) but I've used Cataclean fuel treatment recently on 2 1.4 petrol A2's that were struggling with their emissions. Both cars had been standing for 2 years and needed a good flush through of the fuel system to pass the emissions test.

Screenshot_20190803-044051_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reactions: Tsu
The Cataclean is not available here (was in Hungary) but I bought a few bottle from the UK. It seems it did not help this time...

The story continues -
I've mentioned it before but one of the first jobs I did on the car was to Waxoyl the underside. This gets topped up whenever I do any jobs on the car. Lucky for me I've got a pit so working on the underside is relatively easy. Last time I checked, all the captive studs for the 'waffle' heatshield panels were still fully intact. Same with the 'old' roll bar plastic sleeves which have not 'burst' due to rusting of the bar. Those sleeves are a great (but flawed) design. They provide a smooth, large bearing area for the rubber roll bar bushes to work on - just a pity about the rust build up between the sleeves and the roll bar which causes them to split and fall off.

First 'failure' was a roll bar drop link which happened just out of warranty. I bought a pair of genuine Audi replacements and fitted them myself.

The G263 aircon sensor was next. At the time no one had worked out a quick way to replace it so I had to take the dash out

Next was the alarm siren. The back-up battery failed which meant replacing the complete unit.

I've had 3 broken springs spread over several years. First was the drivers side front, then the passenger side rear and in the last few weeks, the passenger side front.

The 'green' coolant temp sensor failed causing a wandering temp gauge needle

Excessive play in the mounting bracket for the alloy intercooler pipe which runs across the front of the engine. Fixed by fitting a longer bolt and back nut.

Yaw sensor failed, triggering the ABS warning light

Think I need a Part 3 to list the upgrades

Cheers Spike

That's an impressively small list of defects over an 18 year stretch. And some of the suspension defects are understandable wear and tear on those lovely country roads you frequent Spike. ?

Part 3 - the mods / upgrades

Koni FSD dampers
Heated mirrors
TT pedals
Stainless screws in number plate light
RNS-D satnav and TMC module
Boot mounted CD changer
Aero wiper arm and blade
Washer jets (later version with jet rather than mist spray pattern)
TT gear knob
RS4 3 spoke alcantara steering wheel with TT airbag
ATE powerdisc front brakes with Brembo sport pads
Philips Xtreme vision headlight bulbs plus LED sidelights
Lumbar support (drivers seat only)
Sound deadening mat in all doors
Underbody aero mods
Mudflaps
Full size spare wheel

Cheers Spike

Part 3 - the mods / upgrades

Koni FSD dampers
Heated mirrors
TT pedals
Stainless screws in number plate light
RNS-D satnav and TMC module
Boot mounted CD changer
Aero wiper arm and blade
Washer jets (later version with jet rather than mist spray pattern)
TT gear knob
RS4 3 spoke alcantara steering wheel with TT airbag
ATE powerdisc front brakes with Brembo sport pads
Philips Xtreme vision headlight bulbs plus LED sidelights
Lumbar support (drivers seat only)
Sound deadening mat in all doors
Underbody aero mods
Mudflaps
Full size spare wheel

Cheers Spike
Didnt realise you had done so much to the car Spike. That's quite a list of self fitted mods.

Keep the stories coming folks. There must be other owned since new classics out there.

Back