Hazard lights stay on

Sam.berlin

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you can help me with a problem with my Audi A2 (1.4 Gasonline 8Z0 year 2000). the hazard lights stay on as soon as i open the door for about 20 minutes and gradually flicker and clicking from the relay out ( for about 20 minutes) and then turns off slowing the flickering. the whole process takes about 45 minutes and then i can use the car normally, this happens every time i open the car and the waiting time has been getting longer and longer with the cold temperature.
I have changed the relay 2 times as well as the hazard light switch. i have been to two Mechanics in the last 6 months, and they don't seem to be able to solve the problem. I tried to diagnose the problem using an OBD2 but there weren't any faults to be found. I have been to teh Audi centre and they want 250 Euros only for the Diagnose ( which i am not eager to comply).
Please let me know what you think it could be, i would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank you
Sam

Hello everyone, I was wondering if you can help me with a problem with my Audi A2 (1.4 Gasonline 8Z0 year 2000). the hazard lights stay on as soon as i open the door for about 20 minutes and gradually flicker and clicking from the relay out ( for about 20 minutes) and then turns off slowing the flickering. the whole process takes about 45 minutes and then i can use the car normally, this happens every time i open the car and the waiting time has been getting longer and longer with the cold temperature.
I have changed the relay 2 times as well as the hazard light switch. i have been to two Mechanics in the last 6 months, and they don't seem to be able to solve the problem. I tried to diagnose the problem using an OBD2 but there weren't any faults to be found. I have been to teh Audi centre and they want 250 Euros only for the Diagnose ( which i am not eager to comply).
Please let me know what you think it could be, i would appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thank you
Sam
Are the lamps in the flashers original filament, or have they been changed to LED?
Once normal operation has resumed, after the long wait, do the indicators work OK? And, do the hazards work normally, being able to switch off and on via the hazard switch.
Mac.

Are the lamps in the flashers original filament, or have they been changed to LED?
Once normal operation has resumed, after the long wait, do the indicators work OK? And, do the hazards work normally, being able to switch off and on via the hazard switch.
Mac.
they are filament, afterthe long wait everything work normally

I'm thinking it's alarm related. Could you double check there is no alarm fault code please?
Mac
Thank you for your response PlasticMAc, I checked and there was no fault with OBD2, and I don't think my car has an Alarm system, its doesn't have the alarm button next to the driver side door . I wanted to send a video of how it behaves but i am unable to attach videos here.
Sam

Thank you for your response @PlasticMac , I checked and there was no fault with OBD2, and I don't think my car has an Alarm system, its doesn't have the alarm button next to the driver side door . I wanted to send a video of how it behaves but i am unable to attach videos here.
Sam
I'd be surprised if there is no alarm at all, but build varies by country. Do you have the red leds on the front doors, that flash when you lock the car?
Mac.

Edit: Just checked the electrical schematic, and there is a version with no alarm, so sorry for my doubts. The CCU, (Comfort Convenience Control Unit), controls the hazard flashers for the alarm, and I suspect that circuit is still in the CCU, even when it's not used, and is the cause of the hazard flash fault.
So, it could well be a faulty CCU, (not uncommon in early cars). Check that the underfloor compartment, where the CCU lives, is dry. Also check the part number of the CCU, to estimate it's age, and reliability level.
Let us know how you get on.
Where are you located?
Mac.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if there is no alarm at all, but build varies by country. Do you have the red leds on the front doors, that flash when you lock the car?
Mac.

Edit: Just checked the electrical schematic, and there is a version with no alarm, so sorry for my doubts. The CCU, (Comfort Convenience Control Unit), controls the hazard flashers for the alarm, and I suspect that circuit is still in the CCU, even when it's not used, and is the cause of the hazard flash fault.
So, it could well be a faulty CCU, (not uncommon in early cars). Check that the underfloor compartment, where the CCU lives, is dry. Also check the part number of the CCU, to estimate it's age, and reliability level.
Where are you located?
Mac.
Mac.

Where are you located?
Mac.
Thats I contacted an online mechanic, and he says that the problem lies on the central locking system, apparently it is very common in the earlier versions, that when the locking system is old it causes a glitches, so i ordered a new locks and see how that goes ( I don't wish this on anyone LOL).
I will keep you up to date on the matter,
And thank you very much for you kind advice
Sami

Thats I contacted an online mechanic, and he says that the problem lies on the central locking system, apparently it is very common in the earlier versions, that when the locking system is old it causes a glitches, so i ordered a new locks and see how that goes ( I don't wish this on anyone LOL).
I will keep you up to date on the matter,
And thank you very much for you kind advice
Sami
Please check that your online mechanic understands that your car has no alarm system, so the locks may not be the cause of the phantom alarm.
Mac.

If you don't lock the car does the problem still occur?
Worth trying a replacement CCCU first as dead easy to change just need a friend with an A2 to lend you there's for 5 mins

Worth trying a replacement CCCU first as dead easy to change just need a friend with an A2 to lend you there's for 5 mins
100%, agree. Since the car has no alarm system, the alarm function in the CCCU should be inactive. If, as seems likely, it isn't, then CCCU is the place to started, including checking all is well in the underfloor compartment.
Mac.

Please check that your online mechanic understands that your car has no alarm system, so the locks may not be the cause of the phantom alarm.
Mac.
I have explained, step by step and he seems to be sure, that the problem is with the central locking ssystem
SAm

I havent checked i will, that's a very good point, I will go right now,
Thanks Howey

i checked, if i leave it unlocked, doesn't have the problem
Sam

i checked, if i leave it unlocked, doesn't have the problem
Sam
It's possible that your CCU has been incorrectly coded, and the alarm system is coded as active, but should be coded as inactive, because there is no alarm system. May be the CCU has been replaced in the past, with a CCU from a car with the alarm system.
If possible, I strongly recommend you get the coding checked out, before you start changing parts. If there was a licking fault, it would have, (almost certainly), shown up as s fault code in the OBD scan.

Read about coding, including alarm Activation/Deactivation here:
Thread 'CCU Coding' https://www.a2oc.net/community/index.php?threads/ccu-coding.22939/

Mac.

Hello, everyone, i managed to solve the problem, apparently it was the comfort module unit, i manged to replace it an now its working properly
thank you very much for your advice and support, you guys are wonderful.
Samuel.

Back