Head Light Buls

Mike.M

A2OC Donor
Little out of touch in this respect, what are the best beam and dipped bulbs on the market ?

Any which do the knowledgeable members here particularly recommend?

:confused:
Cheers
Mike

Little out of touch in this respect, what are the best beam and dipped bulbs on the market ?

Any which do the knowledgeable members here particularly recommend?

:confused:
Cheers
Mike

Hi,
We can't recommend any options that are illegal, such as the 100wat options, so you would be best advised to stick with 55w bulbs

The dipped beams are H7 and the main beams are H3.

You could try HID or even LED (the jury is out on LEDs at the moment)

Steve B

I tend to use Osram +90% that can be picked up for less than £13 a pair. Both my cars use H7 so I normally have 3 or 4 spare sets that I buy whenever on offer.

I tried to order the Philips X-Treme +130's from eurocarparts last week to give them a try and it seems all the Philips range are on back order of at least 3 weeks.

They do have the Osram Nightbreaker UNLIMITED (+110%) in stock at £17.99 a pair though, which seems like a good price.

Many thanks to you all.

That's H7 sorted, any recommendations as to H3s?

Regards
Mike

Last edited:
Just a quick question if one as in I, was to go down the L.E.D tunnel of light would I need any special kind of kit like the ones needed for the HID set up as I have seen LED side lights and LED H7 dipped -main beam, just wonder if they are a direct plug and play so to speak?

Just a quick question if one as in I, was to go down the L.E.D tunnel of light would I need any special kind of kit like the ones needed for the HID set up as I have seen LED side lights and LED H7 dipped -main beam, just wonder if they are a direct plug and play so to speak?

There are two types of LED headlamp bulb,

One of them is just replaces the old bulb, the other has a separate ballast unit and often with a fan.

The first type are to be avoided, they simply can't produce enough light and if the could they would need some kind of cooling.
The second type are also not really at a stage where they work properly.

I have the second type in "the project", the H7s (dipped beam) are ok, just, but the light beam is not as focussed as it should be.
The H3s (main beam) are hopeless, they are bright enough but they are not focussed properly and light up the floor in front of the car and the sky above the front of the car.
They still give enough light to be used but they are not correct.

I would leave LED headlamps alone until they have developed further.

H7s in the fog lights might be ok (I find these to be ok anyway)

Steve B

I had to buy Halogen lights after all these years passing through MOT with Xenon and no one giving a great notice to me using but this year I didnt pass.
I bought myself the Osram Night Breaker Unlimited. Very pleased with them for being halogen but felt them being tad pricy. My feel is that they light better than previous Philips from some years back before I went xenon. But if had to choose I'd still like xenon the best. I use 35w 8000k. So after this MOT i'll put the xenon back both cause I like that it looks fresh and gives a modern look plus how nice it lits up. But like mentioned and according to the swedish MOT xenon is not legal and I would guess same goes for UK, there is always a risk. I have made it for the last 5 years with no issues but this year the guy saw it immedietly.

Last edited:
My advice, for dipped beams at least is to stick with the standard bulbs. I bought fancy high power bulbs which weren't noticeably brighter and went after about 3-4 months.

As for main beam, you can go for high power ones as they aren't used as much so you don't get the poor lifespan of the dipped ones.

I But like mentioned and according to the swedish MOT xenon is not legal and I would guess same goes for UK, there is always a risk. I have made it for the last 5 years with no issues but this year the guy saw it immedietly.

HID / Xenon are not illegal in the UK and will not cause an MOT fail if they are fitted.

The light beam must be correct so that they do not dazzle other users. But you will not fail just because you have Xenon / HID fitted.
The bulbs must be "E" marked but the MOT tester cannot remove them or strip the headlamps to check.

There are also incorrect "rumours" that say you HAVE to have headlamp washers and self-levelling units if you have Xenons / HIDs, this is incorrect.
If your car has headlamp washers they must work, if it has self levelling it must work.
But if you don't have them fitted that will not cause a fail.

The same applies for LED headlamp bulbs, they are not a problem as long as they don't dazzle (and should be "E" marked, but again the tester cannot check this, but that is no reason to use illegal unmarked bulbs)

Steve B

Last edited:
I have HIDs fitted and have found them to be a big improvement over the standard halogens that were in the car originally (they may have been old bulbs).

I originally went with 6000K bulbs but found them to be way too blue for my liking, and changed to 5000K which seem much better. I also have 4300K spare, so may swap to those at a later date.

HID / Xenon are not illegal in the UK and will not cause an MOT fail if they are fitted.

The light beam must be correct so that they do not dazzle other users. But you will not fail just because you have Xenon / HID fitted.
The bulbs must be "E" marked but the MOT tester cannot remove them or strip the headlamps to check.

There are also incorrect "rumours" that say you HAVE to have headlamp washers and self-levelling units if you have Xenons / HIDs, this is incorrect.
If your car has headlamp washers they must work, if it has self levelling it must work.
But if you don't have them fitted that will not cause a fail.

The same applies for LED headlamp bulbs, they are not a problem as long as they don't dazzle (and should be "E" marked, but again the tester cannot check this, but that is no reason to use illegal unmarked bulbs)

Steve B

Steve thanks for the correction on UK MOT laws I clearly have no clue as I dont live there. My experience is that UK MOT is pretty open to a lot compared to many other european countries. Swedish MOT doesnt allow xenon on main beam but the far lighting beam xenon is allowed to use xenon as they are only lit when there is no oncoming traffic.

The "rumours" that say you HAVE to have e headlamp washers and headlamp self-levelling units if you have Xenons / HIDs, this is correct tho for swedish MOT law so that is why there might have started rumour as these rules apply for sweden and maybe some other european countries as well but I cannot be sure on that part tho, just speculation from my part.

Steve thanks for the correction on UK MOT laws I clearly have no clue as I dont live there. My experience is that UK MOT is pretty open to a lot compared to many other european countries. .

The UK MOT laws are very much more lenient than in the rest of Europe but also the UK MOT laws are often unclear and misunderstood.

Many of the people in the UK also don't know the laws that apply.

But if you modify vehicles for a hobby you are more likely to know some of the more obscure laws.
In my case I always consult with several MOT testers if I am not sure. Even some testers can be confused, so you have to ask a few to see what they all say.

For example, when I fitted my LED headlamp bulbs I took it to a couple of MOT testers and asked them if they were OK and they both said that they would not fail an MOT.

So that was good enough for me!

Steve B

Back