Headlamp Condensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayB

My offside headlamp is all misted up on the inside. Well, quite large droplets of water actually - mist doesn't really do it justice!

I can't see any cracks or chips in the clear lens / cover.

Anyone else had this - any ideas, other than 'get a new headlamp'!

Rather than fork out for a new unit why dont "pop" the bonnet off, undo the two holding screws (disconnecting the wiring loom as you do so) pull the unit out carefully and checked that the unit is sealed as it should ? It could be a clip has come loose when changing a bulb or the rear cover not sealing as it should for some reason and allowed moisture in.....worth a try perhaps?

John - 2003 1.4 SE TDI, Red, Black interior,

Take it back to the dealers. We had this on our first A2 and they changed the whole headlight.

They might try and fob you off, telling you it happens on all cars, even the A8 & all BMW,s (my dealer did anyway) but if you've actually got droplets & not just a misting they should change it for you under warranty.

Misting was a very common problem but there hasn't been that much talk about it recently - have they finally got it sorted from late 2003 on?

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Ah, In that case, it calls for plan B.

Someone on the forum has made a modification which apparently worked - drilling a hole in the back of the unit I think - but I'll let them tell you more. If they're still around.

Don't drink drive! Not only is it socially unaceptable, it also harms A2's.
Was a Merlot Red 1.4SE petrol originally.
Now an Ebony Black 1.4SE petrol with Red Leather, CC, Symphony + all the previous options we had.

Used to get this when I first got mine three years ago. Not had it since except when I used a powerwasher - the force of the water gets through the rubber seal around the headlamps.

Check that the black seal around teh whole of the headlamp unit is flush with the bonnet/wing. If you remove the bonnet when you replace it there is a tendency for the rubber to be pushed back - Bit of Vaseline does the trick.

Car is 4 years old in Jan and still going strong. Will I change it - will I hell! Money better in the bank than it depreciaiting on a new car!

Regards - The Foghorn

2001 TDI SE Atantic Blue, Open Sky, 16" 6 spoke alloys, Satellite cloth & space box system. The "Dogs Twitchers"

Kind of on topic......was driving back from work yesterday I saw a 2 year old Peugeot 206 which had enough water in it's rear light to comfortably keep a fish alive. I had no realy way of telling the owner this, but I'm sure he'll find out eventually when he blows a fuse or two ;)

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back