Headlight bulb fitting advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

A2OC Donor
Hi. Am I missing an obvious trick here, or is it a real sod to replace the headlight bulbs? I tried today and short of unscrewing many parts to get access to the unit I just couldn't see how to remove the plastic cover. I managed to unclip the wire locking clip, but then the plastic cover is blocked by some other plastic bit.

Any advice really appreciated. Thanks.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Pull hard towards the middle of the car... I gave up and removed the full headlamp unit the first time I tried, but when I'd put it all back and found 1 bulb wasn't seated properly exasperation got the better of me and I just yanked on it hard and it just came off in my hands, getting it back on is as difficult!

Andrew - 2003 1.4 TDI Silver Climate

There are 2 torx screws holding the unit inplace one on the top of the unit and one down the side near the service flap..

If you undo these and pull the unit out and towards the middle of the A2 (should just pop out)...

Replace Bulb.....You can do this...

Refitting is just the reverse...

Lee and Sheridan,
TDI SE, Build 11/01, Dolphin Grey
50% Brighter Bulbs : Audi 6 CD Changer : Rear drinks holder : Floppy Wiper : Centre Tray : Elasticated Belt System : Chrome Numberplate Surround : A3 Transmission Nets : Heated Mirrors

For some more ideas and some pictures: I wrote a guide that you can find on the A2OC website:
http://www.a2oc.net/DL_showall.asp?cat_id=4&parent_id=1&sub_name=Exterior&parent_name=Fitting+Guides

Let me tell you: removing the plastic cover _should_ be the easiest part. It is much harder to determine how to unclip the actual bulbs. Especially since space is so limited and you can't actually see what you're doing.
So unscrewing the whole thing is definitely easier now. And then the next time you do it, you might be able to do it without full removal.

Good luck (and don't be daunted by that ;) )

Edo

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

Thanks for the link Edo. I looked in the fitting guides first of all but couldn't find it....doh. I'll try it out next week-end and will let you know what I think of my new Osram SilverStars. Hope they last longer than the 5 months for your Phillips Bluevision.

2004 1.4 TDi (90) SE, Cobalt Blue, Climate control, Cruise control, DIS, Sport seats, Winter pack, Symphony II.

Of course, if your A2 is still in warranty and you need a straight sawp - just call Audi Assist. They come out to wherever you are, swap the bulb and then leave. Haven't had the experience as yet, touch wood, but it has happened to my friends TT, and they didn't charge for the service or the bulb! Where as, on a previous occasion she took it to a dealer, they charged 1/4 hour labour plus the bulb!

Fi

2002 TDi Sport Cobalt Blue, winter pack, leather, rew

Well I finally fitted my Osram Silverstars. Thanks for the fitting guide Edo. The new bulbs certainly give off better light. Not only can I see further now, but my vision is much clearer too. :)

What I did also discover is that the bonnet fits nicely in the boot with the rear seat backs folded down. This seems slightly safer that placing it accross the rear seats with one door open, waiting for a gust of wind to slamp against it.

Good for you, Will. And well done.
I'm glad you like your Osrams. Maybe I'll be tempted to try them too, instead of the Philips Bluevisions that I was somewhat disappointed with in the end.

Oh, about the bonnet and the boot: that's a no-go for me since I have a large and heavy subwoofer in there, strapped to the floor hooks ;)
Well, at least I warned you, and you complied!

--
(2003 Silver 1.4 Tdi Exclusive(SE), 95bhp/235Nm chiptuned by ABT, black interior, sport seats, heated mirrors, TomTom3 PDA Satnav, JVC KD-SH909RB cd-receiver, Infinity Kappa 63.1 + Vifa on-dash tweeters, 12" Subwoofer on 300w Amp)

I have had the Osrams 50% now for about 6 months and they are noticibly better than the standard ones... and my dealer did not charge me the first 3 visits and on the 4th visit charged me £59!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________
[img=left]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-2/11882/a2andme2.gif[/img=left]
2001 A2 TDI SE Crystal Blue with Open Sky, 6CD Symphony II, BOSE upgrade, DIS and HALF a winterpack!

iPAQ 3970 with Sat-Nav sleeve, rear cupholders, luggage net and floppy wiper!

http://www.a2oc.net/pic_show.asp?picid=1572&type=1 On www.A2OC.net pictures UK160 to UK183

Ouch....£59 for a 30 min job is steep even for Audi. Or another way of looking at it £59 for 4 changes is fair value. Take your pick ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back