headlight bulb

adamski

Hi

The left headlight bulb went last week... easy job to change myself I think, took headlamp out and all clips, changed bulb, then dropped the clip into the engine bay... so does anybody know where I can get a new clip for the main beam bulb. I rang Mr Audi and they say I'd need a whole new headlight.... I think not. So now the bulb is resting in the hole but not attached by the clip.. any help!!

Thanks Adam

I dropped a bulb inside the engine bay and found it by removing that sides wheel and fumbling around the hole the drive shaft goes through.

If you haven't run the car or done many miles since losing the clip, it's most likely still in there resting on the cover or undertray.

If you have sone more than about 5-10 miles, then it's probable that the clip has vibrated itself off and is lost forever. There are no spares available (ridiculous but true) so other than getting another complete lamp, or sourcing one from a breaker, your only other hope is to fashion a replacement from thin steel wire using the other side as a template.

Failing that, I do have a couple of spare headlamps myself - if you want to buy one drop me a PM

Cheers,

Mike

My headlamp unit is faulty and being replaced under warrantee. Could ask for the old unit and send you the clip, if that helps? email me car going in on wednesday.

battyb said:
My headlamp unit is faulty and being replaced under warrantee. Could ask for the old unit and send you the clip, if that helps? email me car going in on wednesday.

What a generous offer 'battyb'!!:D

Just goes to further prove what a friendly, helpful and informative group of members we have!!:)

We must surely be arguably one of the best owners clubs around!!:cool:

battyb said:
A generous offer indeed, but don't be surprised if you are told that you cannot have the old headlamp - often the old parts are needed to claim the costs from the warranty company.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Adam
One last glimmer of hope - the clip could have lodged in the undertay. It's worth the effort to drop the tray and have a look if it saves the price of a new headlamp

Cheers Spike

Skipton01 said:
A generous offer indeed, but don't be surprised if you are told that you cannot have the old headlamp - often the old parts are needed to claim the costs from the warranty company.

Hadn't thought of that one Mike... I guess you will be proved right, (as always, LOL!!); as the dealership will probably have to provide some physical evidence before they get recompense for the work!!:(

hedlight clip.....

Hi

Blimey! thanks for all the help and offers chaps!

Well went to a different dealers last night on my way home from work, and they have given me a clip off an old shape A6 to see if that works, but when I got it home its totally the wrong shape as its a sidelight clip.... going to go back this afternoon to see if they can give me the right one...

Took undertray off last night and it has disappeared, so I shall see what they come up with, if no good, I may be after a new unit....

Cheers

Adam

Darren C said:
Hadn't thought of that one Mike... I guess you will be proved right, (as always, LOL!!); as the dealership will probably have to provide some physical evidence before they get recompense for the work!!:(

battyb might think about removing the clip before it goes in / are they going to be that worried if they've got the main unit?

just a thought

Jonathan

I know some of the service staff at Preston Audi so I will see what I can do tomorrow (I also know the service manager at the Blackburn Audi part of the same group,so I would have thought it could be sorted one way or another) They have told me that the replacement is not covered under the warentee, and said sales would contribute 50% of the £209. I said as I had only had the car 2 weeks it must have been faulty when I got. They eventually agreed to change FOC. They should therefore not need the part. It will be a good idea for me to try and get anyway for spare bulbs.

Not keen on taking the clip off before as would not like to be accused of tampering.

bulb

well an update,

Went to Tyneside Audi yesterday and they confimed that I would need a new headlamp unit- £104, cant sell the H7 clip but we could sell you the other ones!. So I went home and bent a paper clip to a similar shape to the clip... and up to now it has worked... fingers crossed!

Anyway thanks for all the offers and help, its appreciated

Cheers Adam

Adam, They gave me the headlamp unit yesterday. Not looked at the thing yet but assume complete with all clips, so I can post it to you if you need it. Drop me a email [email protected] or a PM.

Back