Headlight connectors

trufflestu

A2OC Donor
Both connectors on my headlights the clips are broken, they have been like this since I've owned the car.

I have 2 other clips I can replace them with but having looked at the connectors they don't look like they can be replaced, Am I missing something or are the connectors not able to be changed without buying a whole new cable? They look moulded into the connector.

On another note I have changed my headlights as the rubbers had perished, the replacement headlights would not be fixed in position by the torx bolt, after much head scratching I ended up having to file about 2mm off the plastic adjustment to get the bolt to bite in the hole, has anyone else experienced this before?

yes I have a 2001 TDI and 2002 1.4 petrol, the headlight rear plastic moulding was changed on the latter cars to make the inner fixing point stronger, it is a few mm deeper (thicker) that the early model headlights. As a result the threaded boss that mates with the headlight and the torques bolt goes through is taller and therefore needs a longer bolt by about 6 to 8mm

Both connectors on my headlights the clips are broken, they have been like this since I've owned the car.

I have 2 other clips I can replace them with but having looked at the connectors they don't look like they can be replaced, Am I missing something or are the connectors not able to be changed without buying a whole new cable? They look moulded into the connector.

On another note I have changed my headlights as the rubbers had perished, the replacement headlights would not be fixed in position by the torx bolt, after much head scratching I ended up having to file about 2mm off the plastic adjustment to get the bolt to bite in the hole, has anyone else experienced this before?

Yes,

They can be changed, you just need the special tool that releases each pin (It looks like a small screwdriver but has two thin prongs on the end) I bought one on eBay ages ago and I have yet to use it so I am not 100% sure that I bought the right size, but they are fine foir releasing the pins (just remember / note the wiring colours / positions when you start.

As for the positoning of the headlamp and the bolts, I have never experienced a problem with that and I have removed and replaced tens of headlamps, but you have to make sure that they are fitted corr3ectly and with the plastic rounbd pin in the correct position.

Steve B

yes I have a 2001 TDI and 2002 1.4 petrol, the headlight rear plastic moulding was changed on the latter cars to make the inner fixing point stronger, it is a few mm deeper (thicker) that the early model headlights. As a result the threaded boss that mates with the headlight and the torques bolt goes through is taller and therefore needs a longer bolt by about 6 to 8mm

Thanks that is reassuring that they changed the thickness of the plastic

Yes,

They can be changed, you just need the special tool that releases each pin (It looks like a small screwdriver but has two thin prongs on the end) I bought one on eBay ages ago and I have yet to use it so I am not 100% sure that I bought the right size, but they are fine foir releasing the pins (just remember / note the wiring colours / positions when you start.

As for the positoning of the headlamp and the bolts, I have never experienced a problem with that and I have removed and replaced tens of headlamps, but you have to make sure that they are fitted corr3ectly and with the plastic rounbd pin in the correct position.

Steve B

Thanks Steve,

Are they these by any chance

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3pcs-Car-...e:Audi&hash=item3ad35634f4:g:KxMAAOSw5cNYOQIO

Back