Headlight interior adjuster switch

My interior headlight roller switch is not raising or lowering the beam, anyone know what the problem could be. ??

I'd say that the most common cause is a failure of the motor unit inside the headlamp assembly. These can be replaced and are not that expensive; here is one eBay listing:

But of course that is not the only possibility. The dashboard roller mechanism may have failed, or there may be a wiring fault between the roller and the motor.

Do check that you're using the correct roller (the one on the far right) to make the adjustment, otherwise it might just be that you're varying the brightness of the instrument lighting displays!

To determine if the headlight motor is dead is quite easy: it is very low probability that motors on both headlights died at the same time, so if both are not moving, it is quite high certanty that the problem is elsewere. Dashboard mechanism, fuse, wiring.

To determine if the headlight motor is dead is quite easy: it is very low probability that motors on both headlights died at the same time, so if both are not moving, it is quite high certainty that the problem is elsewhere. Dashboard mechanism, fuse, wiring.

I think that what often happens is that drivers only become aware when the second motor fails, and they no longer get any visible change from the control.

It's unlikely to be the fuses. Fuses 23 and 24 provide current to the right and left dipped beam headlights, including the beam control. You would need to test the electrics to establish whether or not the motors are receiving power.

Reactions: mtl
I'd say that the most common cause is a failure of the motor unit inside the headlamp assembly. These can be replaced and are not that expensive; here is one eBay listing:

But of course that is not the only possibility. The dashboard roller mechanism may have failed, or there may be a wiring fault between the roller and the motor.

Do check that you're using the correct roller (the one on the far right) to make the adjustment, otherwise it might just be that you're varying the brightness of the instrument lighting displays!
@Gary Woolston this is the part we we talking about this morning. Just get the one for whichever side it was on your car.

Many thanks to the experts for all your suggestions, I will start with the fuses, then work my way forward, wiring, and then the actuators in the lamp itself.
This club never lets you down the members, the admin, and everyone else involved with it are top notch
people, who probably know more about the A2 than the so called professionals, thanks again.

Reactions: mtl
Make sure the motors are actually present, seen this a few times when aftermarket headlights are fitted and the adjuster is not swapped over. (Dont know if aftermarket headlights have ever been availible for the A2 thou)

If the range motors are missing the headlights will be loose inside the housing as it is the motor that swings the lights to adjust the range. Also worth checking there is not a loose bulb wedged inside the lens that is jamming the range adjustment.

It is possible if neither are adjusting that the lighting switch has been removed from the dash. On refit the electrical plug for the range adjustment either not connected at all of at an angle and not making full contact.

If the range motors are missing the headlights will be loose inside the housing as it is the motor that swings the lights to adjust the range. Also worth checking there is not a loose bulb wedged inside the lens that is jamming the range adjustment.
In general they usually have a threaded bar with ball joint securing the lens assy. May not apply to the A2 especially if aftermarket lamps were not available thou.

In the A2 the headlights pivot on upper swivels and the motor via its ball joint provides the swing to change the range. If the range motor is not clipped in that is when the lights are free to bounce up and down. OP has not mentioned aftermarket headlights.

All the wiring for the headlights pass through the same external plug / socket so that is another area where there could be damaged wiring. But for both to fail unlikely at the headlight end.

In the A2 the headlights pivot on upper swivels and the motor via its ball joint provides the swing to change the range. If the range motor is not clipped in that is when the lights are free to bounce up and down. OP has not mentioned aftermarket headlights.

All the wiring for the headlights pass through the same external plug / socket so that is another area where there could be damaged wiring. But for both to fail unlikely at the headlight end.
Yes indeed and very strange like you say for both to be inop

My first thought was has it had accident damage and replacement lamps have been fitted. I know he has not mentioned aftermarket lamps thats just the path my logic (fuzzy at best) was flowing lol.

Back