Headlight Motor MoT failure

ijedgar

A2OC Donor
Just got a phone call from the garage to say that the headlight motor is not working and it has failed the MoT so I have to have a new motor.
I did not think that was part of an MoT check, just that the headlights needed to be adjusted correctly,is that right?
Fifty quid plus vat plus labour to replace it.

Sorry to hear that.

Do you (or anyone else) know what position the headlights has to be for MOT?
What adjusting exactly means? I guessing it's next to the hl switch. Mine is on half way and 1 if it makes sense.

3 months and my A2 has it's first MOT.
Already nervous..

When I lived in Sussex I always used the firm Just MoT`s and the worst that I had were a bulb and a wiper blade over 10 years.
They have no repair facilities so do not need to comb the car for potential money making faults to bump up revenue.
Sadly they are not here in Devon.

Sadly due to one lost lumbar disc and one prolapsed lumbar disc I can no longer get into the positions required to work on the car without risking being in severe pain,or totally incapacitating myself so I am reliant on my local garage.
In the past I would have taken this on with no problem but many years as a plumber has ruined my back.
Many thanks for the advice though.

Fifty quid plus vat plus labour to replace it.

Even if you're not able to get the bonnet off yourself you could save yourself £40 by getting a new motor off eBay. I'd definitely suggest buying new rather than used, otherwise you risk the same thing happening again in due course.

I presume you're not using an Audi dealership to do this work.

I can get the bonnet off ok but getting into and staying in a bending position to remove the lamp etc is a definite no no.
As it is in for service and MoT I have told the garage to do it,very high mark up on the motor though,may try and find a more helpful place in future.
They will only fit parts that they have supplied.

I can get the bonnet off ok but getting into and staying in a bending position to remove the lamp etc is a definite no no.
Like you, I'm disabled. You don't need to get into any sort of bending position to remove the light unit, I speak from experience on this.
Maybe next time.

Thanks Steve,I replaced a headlight bulb in my first A2 about 10 years ago when the back was not so bad and still found it difficult then.
How do you manage it without getting into a bent back situation?

How do you manage it without getting into a bent back situation?

Remove the two torx bolts holding the headlight in place. Unclip the power cable (there's a definite knack to this, you need to push the plug in firmly before pressing the release clip). Lift the headlight unit out and take it indoors.

I did mine seated at the kitchen table. The whole job took less than 10 minutes. It's easier to replace the motor than any of the bulbs.

If you can't get the power cable disconnected, just upend the light unit on the front panel and work standing up.

In general, I don't do any work on my A2 and trust my local garage, but this was just a doddle.

I think i have a spare as i got a pair when mine failed on old car (though it passed 2 MOTs with the failed headlight motor) can check if you'd like and post for the beer gesture.

Headlights to come out easily by undoing 2 bolts as per steve's post.

Many thanks for the offer but as it was in for MoT I let the garage do it.
£52 + vat for the motor and £26 + vat to fit it,maybe try somewhere else next time.
I did let them know that the genuine Audi part was £20 delivered off the net,needless to say they were not interested.

After this experience with the local garage I don`t think I will be going back there again.
Does anyone know of a reputable mechanic working on A2`s in the North Devon area?

If you are able many tasks can be done by owners with some mechanical knowledge. Plenty of guides on here and if you get stuck you can always ask for help here. Prime example is the headlight range adjuster motor, that is one you can do easily with very limited tools. Sorry do not know of a garage in your area.

Many thanks for the offer but as it was in for MoT I let the garage do it.
£52 + vat for the motor and £26 + vat to fit it,maybe try somewhere else next time.
I did let them know that the genuine Audi part was £20 delivered off the net,needless to say they were not interested.

From the Garage's viewpoint it can be a nightmare if they use customer supplied parts and something goes wrong.
You'd probably have to pay for them to remove it, then wait while you source a replacement and finally pay the labour to refit it.
If the garage 'supply and fit' it's all down to them.

Cheers Spike

As an ex plumber I can understand the reasons for them not wanting to fit parts not supplied by themselves and fully understand that businesses are there to make a profit.
However if I can get an original Audi part brand new and delivered for £20 I think that their price to me was extortionate.
Something that I would never have done to any of my customers when the firm was up and running.

As an ex plumber I can understand the reasons for them not wanting to fit parts not supplied by themselves and fully understand that businesses are there to make a profit.
However if I can get an original Audi part brand new and delivered for £20 I think that their price to me was extortionate.
Something that I would never have done to any of my customers when the firm was up and running.
Yes, it does seem more costly than I would expect for a garage supplied part but not entirely beyond.

I am of the opinion a big element of the cost of a garage part can be the price you in effect pay for a rapid transit delivery network to supply the part, it's not all the actual cost of the part. When my mechanic diagnoses a fault and draws up a parts list he's on the phone to one of several local suppliers and as long as it is nothing exotic it is delivered sometimes in two hours but not much longer by the ubiquitous small parts van, after all the customer wants their car back by the end of day. This infrastructure costs. My mechanic does not put his margin on the part, simply passes it on but the cost compared with the internet is quite appreciable.

When you say the Audi part was £20 delivered was this in this time frame?

Andy

Back