Heated mirror conversion

Chris93

I am just putting together a list of parts i need to get off the stealer on monday and i am thinking of adding heated mirror glasses to it. Is it a straight swap with the non heated ones are they wires needed already there? How do you pull the old mirrors off without breaking them.

If anyone has tried this your advice would be much appreciated
Cheers
Chris

Hey Chris, Whilst I think the heated mirror would be a straight swap, I doubt that the wiring would be there if it wasn't fitted with it at the factory.

I have only ever seen the Jap cars incorporate extra feature wiring usually tucked away at connection point. I fitted a complete original air conditioning system into a Nissan about 14 years ago, and while I had to do all the pipe work and the mechanical bits, the electrics were very conveniently pre-wired. :)

Cheers

Sarge

EDIT: Well It appears I stand corrected look here http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8492&highlight=heated+door+mirrors

Last edited by a moderator:
...if you do a search on this forum, I believe there is info on this and that it is easier than you would think!!! (wires I believe for this are already there???)

do a search and check though! :eek:

...if you do a search on this forum, I believe there is info on this and that it is easier than you would think!!! (wires I believe for this are already there???)

do a search and check though! :eek:

Yep, the wires are there, I've been scouring for a used set of mirror glasses for months to do the mod, I think theyre about £32 each from Audi, but I'll see if I can source a cheaper set. :)

Ok, i am tempted to order some but not at that price!!!, how do you get the old mirror glass out do you just pull it hard?

Cheers
Chris

Ok, i am tempted to order some but not at that price!!!, how do you get the old mirror glass out do you just pull it hard?

Cheers
Chris

I think thats the drill, it was certainly that simple on our Lupo and A4 when I had to replace mirrior glass. But as I'm useless at such things, our mechanic did the job while I observed!! :D

I recall seeing a post that suggests loosening a screw under the A2 mirror to get better access but maybe wrong. :D

Yeh, i am not to great at these kind of things!! but i am sure i can give it a go, that is so strange that they wire it all up but don't pit in a £30 part to make it work

Chris

Wiring looms are usually all made with the same features because it makes them cheaper to produce than having too make seperate ones for each type!
Found this out upgrading of all things the daughters metro all the top of the range items
heated electric mirrors and funnily enough the steering wheel airbag were all present so made fitting easier:):)

Installing new mirrors: first unscrew the bolt underneath the mirror and remove the piece of plastic underneath. There is a sort of a cylinder that holds the motors and the flat piece of mirror glass is held to it via 4 or 5 clams all around this circle. By removing the plastic underneath you gain access to the clams and you can easily undue them and remove the mirror. 5 min job.

Wiring looms are usually all made with the same features because it makes them cheaper to produce than having too make seperate ones for each type!
Found this out upgrading of all things the daughters metro all the top of the range items
heated electric mirrors and funnily enough the steering wheel airbag were all present so made fitting easier:):)

Coco, That would make too much sense for Audi to make one standard wiring loom as did Nissan as I mentioned. I can assure you it is not the case though. Adding an extra wire or two for the mirrors or the like is probably the most they will do. I had to 'make' looms for my Car to add the rear electric windows, electric seats. Full DIS, Cruise control, heated seats amongst many others, also need a new wiring loom/s, as well as several other retro fits.

This is why as in my story, Audi wanted £3200+ +vat! for a 'specific/unique built to order for each car' as they said, plus waiting time of several weeks to build one to order!. So no 'off the shelf' one fits all loom from Audi.

Then again someone will ask, why put all that extra wiring in when there's little chance of it being used, enviromental and all that :)

Cheers

Sarge

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarge
since when did car makers think eco: why make a 100,000 cars when you only sell 10,000!!!!!

Hey Sarge when i was looking in to this i thought as most it would need wiring but no as from most of the searches the wires are sitting behind the motors, you just remove the mirror pop out the wires plug in refit and of you go
As posted before yes its easier if you remove the lower cover and just pop off the tabs you can hold and slightly pull the mirror from the outside and it will pop off after a couple of tabs have been removed

Phil

Is there any VAG-COM activation to go through to get the mirrors to heat when "defrost" is ON or is this paramater default from factory ?

No once you plug them in thats it they work with your rear screen heater, i couldn't believe it was that easy to fit them went through first winter without them and then realised what an easy mod it was

Phil

I seem to remember Ertstens mentioning that they had to be activated on German models, so it may be true of all left hand drive cars, but can't say for certain.

On;y one way to find out!

CHeers,

Mike

Is it worth someone doing a simple 'How to' for this? would have saved a lot of posts ..lol, and then it all being repeated, again. :)

Cheers

Sarge

I seem to remember Ertstens mentioning that they had to be activated on German models, so it may be true of all left hand drive cars, but can't say for certain.

On;y one way to find out!

CHeers,

Mike

Good memory Mike

Erstens post (#12) on this thread indicates later cars may need to be programmed for the mirrors to work. Most seem to be plug and play though, as was my 2001 tdi when I did the upgrade.
http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3136&highlight=heated+mirrors

Cheers Spike

Cheers Spike

Back