Heating fault

George Hogg

A2OC Donor
Hi guys, I got a 90 about 5 weeks ago now and have decided to sell it after fixing a rear brake issue and fitting cruise. It has been fine until today and there is a problem with the heating, it has become stuck on full heat.
It has the fault codes as follows. Is it the temp flap or something else as well?

Attachments

• BFF38E25-AD63-4A67-986F-609CF658F28C.jpeg
    BFF38E25-AD63-4A67-986F-609CF658F28C.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • 07C0124C-CF8A-408E-B8EC-E171239438D2.jpeg
    07C0124C-CF8A-408E-B8EC-E171239438D2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 92
Just spilled my coffee trying to read the scan attachments... Are they fresh scans or historic?

Try the button exercise for about 10-15 minutes on the temp buttons all the way to HI leave for a few seconds then all the way LO and leave for a few seconds. Rinse and repeat and that can clear sticking flaps although you may end up needing a new motor.

I’ll try that thank you. Yes the scans are fresh. I cleared the historic ones, which were identical, and then scanned again. Sorry about the coffee….

If it is dodgy flaps in the HVAC, looks like every flap is suspect, plus temperature sensors. I find it hard to imagine they are all faulty, at the same time.
Check connections to the Climate Controller.
As @audifan says, it's almost impossible to read.
Try rotating the pics, before uploading them.
Even better, use the vcds copy button, to copy the whole report, then paste into Notepad, finally, save as.
Mac.

How good is the battery in that car? Low power DOES trigger faults. If you can take the battery off the car and fully charge it ( or replace it with a fully charged one ). Also check over all the fuses in the car.

Drive the car for 5-10 miles then rescan.

Mine does it sporadically if it's been left for a while. I think it punishes me if it feels unloved.
There are some write ups on how to move the flap by removing the glove box.
A fairly quick job to see if it will start to move again on its own.

Good luck

If it is dodgy flaps in the HVAC, looks like every flap is suspect, plus temperature sensors. I find it hard to imagine they are all faulty, at the same time.
Check connections to the Climate Controller.
As @audifan says, it's almost impossible to read.
Try rotating the pics, before uploading them.
Even better, use the vcds copy button, to copy the whole report, then paste into Notepad, finally, save as.
Mac.
Thank you Mac

Mine does it sporadically if it's been left for a while. I think it punishes me if it feels unloved.
There are some write ups on how to move the flap by removing the glove box.
A fairly quick job to see if it will start to move again on its own.

Good luck
Thanks Dave

How good is the battery in that car? Low power DOES trigger faults. If you can take the battery off the car and fully charge it ( or replace it with a fully charged one ). Also check over all the fuses in the car.

Drive the car for 5-10 miles then rescan.
Thank you, I’ll try that today

Hello, this may be an akoya car? If so then I found it worked sporadically but woukd get stuck on hot shoukd you set the temp to any extreme, I.e high or low. It only really worked when leaving around 20-22 deg. The flaps sometimes worked and using screen defrost would help. However after 40 minutes it would start acting up and I had to switch it off for 30 mins.
The battery is good and less than 3 years old.
No flap motors or temp sensors were changed I sent my spare motors I had ready to tackle it to wom.
I had tried disconnecting the hvac controller and reconnecting, connections are okay.

I hope you can get it fixed George. Otherwise a near perfect car!

Hi Edd, yes it’s the Akoya 90, the battery isn’t holding charge well so I’ll get a new one and change that first and clear and rescan. I think it’ll be at least one new flap motor though.

Hi Everyone, thank you for your help. I had been told the battery was 3 years old so I didn’t suspect it. However it was 8 years old and since I’ve changed it for a new one and erased the faults no more faults have come up and the heating is back to normal!

Apologies George I thought I had changed it but that was my van battery. Got confused. It had never let me down before , plus I charged it before you picked up the car to make sure car was perfect for your long journey home.
Glad it's sorted and ready for sale again.

Hi guys, I got a 90 about 5 weeks ago now and have decided to sell it after fixing a rear brake issue and fitting cruise. It has been fine until today and there is a problem with the heating, it has become stuck on full heat.
It has the fault codes as follows. Is it the temp flap or something else as well?
Hi George, I had a new temperature flap motor fitted the other day, and it seems to have fixed the issues I was having with mine👍🏻

Back