Heavy footed; well heel at any rate...

Darren C

A2OC Donor
Well after two years, my driver’s side velour mat is almost thread bare on the spot where my heel usually finds itself resting.

I have been very indecisive as to the best way forward and have yet to make my mind up. The original Audi mats are of very good quality and fit perfectly, but why no additional material around the heel support?

So what to do...

1. With three mats in perfect condition do I buy an ‘off cut’ from a carpet shop and add my own heel support with some Velcro pads to the damaged area?
  2. Do I try to source some alu or steel plate and apply to the original drivers mat in the same fashion for longer durability?
  3. Buy a new genuine Audi front set and use some of the old mats, as per (1.) above?
  4. Opt for replacing the front set with genuine Audi mats, making no alterations and just accept that in 2009 I will need to buy yet another new set..? (Assuming that is, that the dealers still stock them).
  5. Look to ebay for a very cheap after market set and accept that these will probably not be of the same quality, durability or fit of the original Audi parts?

I just thought that I would throw this open and see if any of you guys and girls have attempted any modifications as a result of similar wear and tear or whether everyone is just biting the bullet and buying new.

Any thoughts, opinions or experience welcome?!

Cheers,

Darren

Absolutely know what you mean, as my mats have gone the same way.

I chose to get a new front set and have done with it. This way, I am preventing any damage to the carpet below and I can have a go at fashioning a metal plate, as per number 2 in your list.

I can't recommend buying from Ebay and I think that you'll be making a rod for your own back if you try to patch things up with carpet or some other mat off-cuts.

That's my tuppence worth anyway.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike, I don't wish to go down the ebay route either.

£40 a set or whatever it is for the genuine article, certainly isn't the cheapest option, but I will probably end up replacing with new mats in the end. Whether or not I then decide to fabricate a heel support from the old set or with some sort of fashioned metal, I am as yet undecided.

If anyone had undertaken a modification, I guessed it would have been you... ;)

Bought a set of after market mats through a company called Simply All Stuff, based in the Midlands.I saw there add on fleabay; theres is the add offering genuine clips.Phoned them up and ordered the delux velour carpet with the genuine clips front and rear.These were supposed to be almost identical quality to the genuine Audi mats.
Recieved the set of mats 2 weeks later, but they had sent some crap twisted polymide mats and the so called clips where just metal eyelets.
The rear mats didn't even have the eyelets which i had paid extra to have fitted! Phoned them up but the lines were down.E-mailed them, got a reply explaining the phone problem.Phoned them again a week later and told them that they had sent the wrong mats, without the proper clips etc.
They apologised and sent me out a second set of mats, guarantying that these would have the correct Audi style clips both back and front.
Recieved these a week later.Better quality velor carpet but not as good as the genuine Audi mats, metal eyelets instead of the genuine clips and no eyelets or clips on the rear mats!
Phoned them again, lines down again.E-mailed them ,no reply.Even there web site is no longer functioning, just says under going technical work!
I presume they have gone bust, but the same mats seem to be for sale on fleabay still! They are the ones with "locating clips AG1342". They are the crap twist pile carpet versions at £14.95+ £8.95 p&p though.
SO BUYER BEWARE !!:mad:
These adds on fleabay are maintained by a company called "Needed 4".
If you click on there shop, you will get Simply All Stuff's home page still showing and there defunct contact phone number !!
Needless to say i'm somewhat pi--ed off:mad:
DO NOT BUY THESE MATS OFF FLEABAY, just bite the bullet and get them from your local Audi stealer.
A not too happy Brads.

Last edited:
Hi Brads,

Many thanks for your advice - which as it turns out is a warning to us all.

Really sorry to hear of your shocking experience. :mad:

Genuine Audi parts are the safer option by far, though arguably the least desirable financially...

Cheers,

Darren

My mat has gone the same way as I approach 53k miles and 3.5 yrs - exactly the same time/distance in the first A2.

What is needed is a 'patch' of the same material that could be sewn to the mat like the under carpet has. But after all the messing about its probably bettre to buy a new set from Audi.

When you are in the dealers why not also purchase a set of front rubber mats. You can then use these to protect your new carpet mats which are in turn protecting your carpet.

Cheers

Jonathan

re. "purchase a set of front rubber mats"

Have always done this with my cars - even my humble Smarts - only remove them when going to meets when peeps will remark on how well your carpets look. Also, when you come to sell the car will well impress potential buyers.

Rubber in the winter - well wet season - carpet mat in the dry, always and with ALL my vehicles.

I have the genine carpets all round, then in the front i use a small rubber mat from any set (rectangular). Means it protects the mats from wear and dirt when it rains (light grey). Never had a problem.

Back