heavy tailgate - normal?

Hi All,

I'm new to A2 ownership so I'm not sure what's normal and what isn't yet..
My tailgate is pretty heavy to open - much more so than my previous A4 Avant and my wife's Golf seems feather-like in comparison. I expected it to be really light from the aluminium - is there something up with the struts perhaps or is it just a result of all that glass?
The tailgate does hold it's position if you open it at least halfway but it certainly doesn't spring open.

If it is the struts, how easy are they to replace?

Thanks, Steve.

It's a tough one to answer as it's quite subjective.
My tailgate does not spring open, even in warm weather (none of the cars I've had ever did this).
But I can easily open it with one hand with modest effort. It's balance point is about half way as yours is.
These cold temperatures will make the gas struts softer.

I've not changed a gas strut on an A2, but on another car and it was quite easy. Change one at a time. You might need a wooden pole to hold the tailgate open depending on the stiffness of the remaining strut.

There's also the possibility that your spoiler is full of water. This has been known to happen on a few A2s, and obviously adds somewhat to the weight.

There's also the possibility that your spoiler is full of water. This has been known to happen on a few A2s, and obviously adds somewhat to the weight.

I've just drilled a couple of holes in the underside of the spoiler and there was indeed water coming out. It's still draining slowly, I'll see how what difference it makes to the tailgate weight later.

Thanks.

They are quite heavy compared to other tailgates as the glass is alot heavier and I also think the pivot points are not in the right place

Phil

Heavy tailgating? You're obviously just adjusting your driving style to Audi ownership.
We have 2 Audis and my driving is atrocious ;)
On a serious note, the boot on the A2 is much heavier than on the A3.

Back