HEL hath no fury! Brake pipes cautionary tale.

chb

DSC_9473.jpg

Aaaaargh! Just went to replace my brake lines with the new HEL ones I ordered.
First off, on the rears, its not the pipe that goes to the caliper that you replace (though one of these IS flexible) its the pair of hoses (both on the passenger side that go from the underbody onto the torsion bar rear axle.

Now the aaaaargh bit....was undoing the brake pipe nuts and one of them was seized. Before noticed, I had instead rotatate the actual steel pipe itself 270 degrees, causing the coating to flake off, and no doubt weakening it beyond repair.
So now a quick, cheap job has turned into a bigger expensive job.
That will be both rear rigid brakelines that I will be replacing then!

Anyone any idea of cost for them?

This is on a 1.6FSi with disc brakes, so don't know if 1.4 and Diesels are different.

The steel brake line i have damaged is visable in the photo. Its to the right hand side of the flexible hose, and is the bottom of the two pipes. This pipe runs in a channel on the rear axel to the drivers side caliper. Hope they are not too expensive!
Has anyone here ever replaced theirs?

Hmm, sorry to bring bad news - on looking at ETKA, I initially thought you'd get change out of £30 for the pair. However, this was for the drum brake version. For disc brakes (all the same) you're looking at £47 each.

Cheers,

Mike

Cheers Mike, I had guessed at approx £70to £80 so not too far out. Hope they can order them in soon as car is out of action till i het them.
Will replace all the retaining clips at same time, I assume the clips are generic accross VAG cars?
Also need to figure out how all the clips work under the rear axel, they look mainly friction fit.

chb,

I've not replaced mine but nearly damaged a pipe when changing a brake cylinder, luckily I noticed the union had siezed, but managed to free this off successfully.
I've checked ETKA and can confirm the following part numbers for the two pipes for your calipers:

Left rear (short) 8Z0 611 763Q
Right rear (long) 8Z0 611 764Q

Both are priced at £29.88 each.

Steve

Correct part numbers, but I think the prices are way out - what revision of ETKA are you running? Mine is the current 922 update.

I prefer Steves version of EKTA.

(.....but fear that Mikes is the correct one.)

How much longer do you think it'd take a garage to change these pipes, if they were doing a brake fluid change anyway? I'm on drums.

Cheers,

Tom

Mike,

Mines 922 as well, items (8) & (9) on diagram 611-36?

Steve
Interesting! Hopefully (for Conrad), my price updates are incorrect. Out of interest, what price does your ETKA give for part number 8L0 953 513J 01C as I know the current retail price on these.

it's the pricing update you need, not the catalogue update.

I'm only running 918 of ETKA, so 4 updates out, but my pricing is 480, latest one freely available and I get them at £30.48 for 8Z0 611 763 & 4 Q

Yes, I know about the difference between catalogue updates and price updates. Shut the laptop down for the night, so can't see my revision at the moment, but I've never known Audi prices to fall back much, certainly not from £47 to £30 (you are including VAT?).

ooooooh.....the tension mounts. I will find out which price is right this morning at Audi Leeds. Don't tune out folks!
PS If anyone has part numbers for the assorted brackets, shims and clips that the brake system uses then would love to have them. Otherwise I will do my normal trick of pointing at the ETKA screen and asking for 4 of everything that costs under £2.

Thanks for replies so far.

Thankfully craig was closest at £26.78 plus vat (£32.14 inc).
I ordered a selection of clips and fittings too for when the inevitable snappage happens!

it's the pricing update you need, not the catalogue update.

I'm only running 918 of ETKA, so 4 updates out, but my pricing is 480, latest one freely available and I get them at £30.48 for 8Z0 611 763 & 4 Q

Spot on craigyb, seems like my pricing is out of date, I only have version 461 so I'll have to search for a later file to download.

chb said:
chb
Thankfully craig was closest at £26.78 plus vat (£32.14 inc).
I ordered a selection of clips and fittings too for when the inevitable snappage happens!

It's still expensive compared to the equivalent pipe for the drum brakes which is only around £6 for the short one and £12 for the other!!

Steve

Last edited:
Back