Hello from another newbie

MPG Lover

Just a quick note to introduce myself to the A2OC Forum - I picked up my 'new' 2002 1.4 TDi SE today from SG Smith Audi in Beckenham, Kent. It is in great condition on about 32,000 miles. It previously belonged to a Mr Anderson in Biggin Hill - was he on this Forum? The car was described as 'Atlantic' blue but I can't find any other source that uses this description; could it be an Azure blue?

I managed to negotiate a chunk off the listed price and also got the stealership to replace the radio/cassette (what's that about?) with a CD player. The daft thing is that I will be swopping over my single DIN Alpine Sat Nav from my previous car in the next couple of weeks.

My recent cars have been Honda Insights and I will be driving the A2 for maximum MPG. Unfortunately now I have four seats instead of two and will not be able to avoid giving the mother-in-law and sister-in-law a lift. Doh. Otherwise very pleased so far. :)

I am a moderator over at the insightcentral.net forum and I hope to be able to make positive contributions to this forum.

Welcome MPG Lover - an appropriate ID - I've got a 1.4 TDi SE and had 62 mpg over the last year (65 mpg in a good month).

Interesting you made the change to the A2 after 3 Insights. I looked at the Honda IMA and was impressed on the test drive but decided my typical cross country trips and little commuting didn't warrant the IMA.

Incredible to think that Audi were supplying radio/cassette in 2002 let alone in 2004 (my vehicle). I'll be interested in your CD when you install your SatNav [if at the right price :) and provided the wiring connections are the same - I recall it changed at some point].

Hi MPG Lover, welcome to the A2oc.
The dealer is right about the colour - I have a Dec2002 'A2 Details' brochure and Atlantic Blue is listed as one of the pearl effect options.
I think the major change to the radio wiring happened in May 2001 when a mini canbus system was added so you will probably need a special interface for your Alpine unit.

Cheers Spike

Hello MPG Lover and welcome to the wonderful world of A2 ownership.

I have to agree with you about the cassette nonsense (even if you buy a £30k TT, it'll still come with a tape deck unless you spec a cd player) but apparently the cassette format is very much alive in Germany!

I'm sure that if you want to, you'll find a buyer for your cd player on these forums - they are fairly sought after.

As for your Atlantic Blue, I'm not sure that the A2 was ever offered for sale in this colour (I have 3 info packs from 2001, 2002 and 2004). However, as with any new Audi, the purchaser can specify any colour in the Audi range, for a hefty fee, in which their new car will be delivered. So, it looks like you could be the owner of an Audi Exclusive Finish car!

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
On further investigation, the A2 WAS offered in Atlantic Blue, very early on in its life.

The Audi colour code is 4F

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for your replies.

:sigh: When I took my A2 for a spin tonight, I realised the right sidelight and right tail light are not working. Likely to be just a 5A fuse but so much for the detailed dealership checks. I also discovered that the dashboard illumination is woefully inadequate and I am not able to see the speedo or rev counter for example (although the red needles are working). I have adjusted the illumination dial and at maximum can only just see the fuel guage. Presumably some dashboard bulb(s) need replacing or could a separate fuse need replacing? Is this a known problem?

On the colour issue while double-checking the paperwork it mentions Azure blue so I am not sure which colour it is supposed to be. I will look to see if there is a colour code inside the doorframe etc.

Alan - Sorry I can't sell the CD player, as I will be swopping the CD player into my previous car. It isn't Audi OEM anyway. The dealership also forgot to give me the original radio/cassette as promised...

Grateful for any help on the dashboard illumination problem.

Last edited:
MPG Lover said:
Thanks for your replies.

:sigh: When I took my A2 for a spin tonight, I realised the right sidelight and right tail light are not working. Likely to be just a 5A fuse but so much for the detailed dealership checks. I also discovered that the dashboard illumination is woefully inadequate and I am not able to see the speedo or rev counter for example (although the red needles are working). I have adjusted the illumination dial and at maximum can only just see the fuel guage. Presumably some dashboard bulb(s) need replacing or could a separate fuse need replacing? Is this a known problem?

The dealership also forgot to give me the original radio/cassette as promised...

Grateful for any help on the dashboard illumination problem.

The illumination isn't a 'known' problem, but it is a worrying one and I agree that you should get back to the dealers ASAP.

The dash does not have bulbs for illumination, but uses LEDs, surface mounted tirectly to the ciruit boards. These generally last the lifetime of the car, so it sounds as if you have a dodgy switch or fuse or both.

Basically, your dealer owes it to you to rectify any faults, so get them to do it and get the original radio while you're at it.

Cheers,

Mike

Thanks again. I went for a longer drive this afternoon and also discovered a medium-severe judder on the steering wheel at 70mph. Presumably the front wheels need balancing / aligning. Another one for the growing dealership list...

Could be as simple as balance or, like happened to me, it could indicate a buckled wheel (or 4!).

Sounds like the dealer has tried to pull a few fast ones on you - make 'em rectify things.

Cheers,
Mike

Update: So good so far

I phoned the salesman at SG Smith this morning and had to leave a message...but he actually phoned me back within ten minutes. He took a note of my snagging list and promised to speak to their Service Department (a separate facility in Bromley). They also phoned me back in ten minutes(!). I have arranged an appointment for Friday (although I forgot to ask about a courtesy car). I will let you know how things go.

Update: I have just got back from the SG Smith service facility and they believe that the tail/side light & dashboard illumination are not working due to a faulty headlight switch. I had also mentioned to them that the headlights flicker when using full lock on the steering which they think might be due to the same thing. Unfortunately they do not have the headlight switch in stock / available and I have arranged to go back next week.

They balanced my front wheels to correct the judder at high speed but I haven't had the chance to check whether this has worked yet. They gave me back the original radio/cassette.

Good customer service at SG Smith (barring having to go back again next week).

Rather than leave this thread hanging, just a short note to say that SG Smith replaced the headlight switch today - I was in and out in half an hour. Everything now working as it should. :)

Excellent news! Glad you got there in the end.

May your time as an A2 owner be long and happy.

Cheers,

Mike

Back