Hello from new member...

Dave_b

Hi all. My name is Dave .... quite obvious from my user id .... an old teacher once told me never be afraid of stating the obvious. I don't yet own an A2 but actively looking for a tdi model. Could anyone please explain the audio options. For eg concert 2 ...
I will post a wanted ad now I introduced myself.
Thanks for looking.
Dave B.

Welcome to the forum Dave. If you read the scanned in brochures in that section of the forum it'll detail the audio options, however in summary the concert model is a single din CD player, symphony is a double din cassette and integrated 6 CD player and I think the single din radio cassette is called chorus. The most basic set up in the car has 4 speakers in the front only, higher spec option adds 4 more speakers in the back plus a small amplifier, then you have the option of Bose.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Dave. If you read the scanned in brochures in that section of the forum it'll detail the audio options, however in summary the concert model is a single din CD player, symphony is a double din cassette and integrated 6 CD player and I think the single din radio cassette is called chorus. The most basic set up in the car has 4 speakers in the front only, higher spec option adds 4 more speakers in the back plus a small amplifier, then you have the option of Bose.

Hi,

Just to add that there is a Symphony (Symphony 1) that doesn't have the integrated 6 CD player, it just has one CD but can be hooked up to a boot mounted CD stacker.

The Bose option which is a very desirable (and rare) extra amplifier / sub etc. is an ideal option if you can find a car with that fitted.

If you plan on improving your A2 in the future, the double height (double DIN) is a big advantage, you can then add later model Audi entertainment units with integrated sat nav and TV etc.

Glad to hear you have decided to buy the fantastic A2 !!!

You will find this a helpful and friendly club.

Welcome
Steve B

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks for the replies and great info. I understand the audio options now. Car wise, I'm looking for a Tdi, prefer lowish miles and fsh, but most important is I like to buy cars with not too many previous owners with myself believing that a car which has been hung onto for a good while is a safer bet to buy. My top budget is around 3k. This may not buy a good 90bhp car but I pass stealth every day going to work so a 75 maybe a good option. I'm going to place a proper ad in wanted later.
Dave

A lowish mileage TDI with a low number of owners and FSH, with a top budget of £3000... If you're happy with a basic car with few optional niceties, you may be lucky, but I fear you'll either have to stretch your budget or go for something with a few more miles under its belt.

The 90bhp TDI was only available towards the end of the A2's production run, so they're all likely to be younger cars. Their comparative rarity also adds to their value, meaning you're highly unlikely to get one within budget. Have you looked into the TDI90's foibles? It is considered a less reliable car than the TDI75, for various reasons, though principally due to its dual mass flywheel.

Cheers,

Tom

A lowish mileage TDI with a low number of owners and FSH, with a top budget of £3000... If you're happy with a basic car with few optional niceties, you may be lucky, but I fear you'll either have to stretch your budget or go for something with a few more miles under its belt.

The 90bhp TDI was only available towards the end of the A2's production run, so they're all likely to be younger cars. Their comparative rarity also adds to their value, meaning you're highly unlikely to get one within budget. Have you looked into the TDI90's foibles? It is considered a less reliable car than the TDI75, for various reasons, though principally due to its dual mass flywheel.

Cheers,

Tom

I echo that.

A "stealthed" 75 will be more then capable and a cheaper and more reliable car in general (although I am personally tempted by a 90)

If you have not yet driven a 75 tdi then that may explain why you feel that you may need a 90, but the 75 is VERY nippy with LOADS of torque and a very pleasant drive indeed.

So I would forget the 90 (especially with your budget) and focus on as well specced and well maintained a 75 that you can find, and take your time.

If you see one advertised let us know and we will give you our "warts and all" honest opinion.
If the car is a long way away you may even find one of our friendly members might be able to have a quick look for you to save you a journey.

Good luck, I am sure you will find something within budget that you will be happy with (likely to be a 2001/02 at the newest, but don't let age put you off!!!

Steve B

Last edited:
You're highly unlikely to find a low mileage TDI for under 3k. But that's relative of course given that 100k is low miles on any A2 diesel which is a minimum of 8.5 years old now.

There's a nice sounding and well spec'd diesel on Autotrader from yesterday at 2995. It has 142k miles but full history, low keeper count and described as 'flawless'

edit: abovementioned must be sold. I can't find it. There's a few reasonable looking cars on offer now though at around budget and the 100k miles mark.

Last edited:
You're highly unlikely to find a low mileage TDI for under 3k. But that's relative of course given that 100k is low miles on any A2 diesel which is a minimum of 8.5 years old now.

There's a nice sounding and well spec'd diesel on Autotrader from yesterday at 2995. It has 142k miles but full history, low keeper count and described as 'flawless'

edit: abovementioned must be sold. I can't find it. There's a few reasonable looking cars on offer now though at around budget and the 100k miles mark.

Hi Murdo
I have seen that well spec'd car on Autotrader. Sounds ok, but would that 142k miles not put you off on a small engine ? Anyhow it's still there, up in Bolton so a bit of a trek. There is, however, a 113k local car which has stealth history and I shall try to take a look tomorrow. Link below:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...-se-5dr-southam-fpa-201401030785297?logcode=p

Not so keen on the colour mind.....

Best, Dave

Hi Murdo
That 142k car with leather is still there. How many miles are these engines good for ?
Gonna check a local car tomorrow with stealth history, 113k. Will report back.
Best, Dave

Hi Dave. There's been quite a bit of chat on how long the TDI engine will last and more so on other forums but for the 3 cylinder unit in the A2 there's members on the German forum approaching 300k without issue. I think the highest miles for an A2oc member is well over 200 (try a search on 'mileage' as a title).

Provided they are properly maintained I wouldn't worry about a car having 100k + miles on the clock.

hi

mines has done 190,000 and still purrs like it were new :) and yes having the bose option is a definite bonus when it comes to audio, only with the audi rns e unit to make it even better :D

enjoy the journey of the audi a2

oooossssssssshhhhh!

:)

Gonna check a local car tomorrow with stealth history, 113k. Will report back.
Best, Dave

The pine green looks lovely on the A2, but the beige interior trim is notoriously difficult to keep clean. Stealth history is positive and it boasts sideguard airbags which is an extremely rare option. Check there's an airbag sign above the seat belt mounts on the B pillar to verify this.

It's also the more rare 'bench' 5 seat version. I would recommend you view the split 4 seater version as well to ensure you are making the right choice.

Our car is a bench, but I often wish for the split rear seat so I'd have isofix mounts for 2 child seats in the back. The bench doesn't have this, so it's less versatile and also very heavy to remove if you want the car in 'van mode'.

Good luck with the viewing and look forward to hearing how you get on.

Last edited:
hi
mines has done 190,000 and still purrs like it were new :) and yes having the bose option is a definite bonus when it comes to audio, only with the audi rns e unit to make it even better :D
:)

Thanks for the info Mr Angry, sounds like a strong unit then. Once had a Bose system in my home and loved it, sounds like a great option, would love to find one with this. Just off to look at the green car now.

The pine green looks lovely on the A2, but the beige interior trim is notoriously difficult to keep clean. Stealth history is positive and it boasts sideguard airbags which is an extremely rare option. Check there's an airbag sign above the seat belt mounts on the B pillar to verify this.

You were right Murdo, the beige interior put us right off the car. Other than that it was fine, drove well, and apart from a few stone chips was quite tidy, and had good local history. Just looked grubby inside. There was no airbag logo on the b pillars, but seats appeared to have airbags. The search continues. Best, Dave.

Yes, I think this has been on sale for a few weeks. It may just be reflection but the front bumper looks damaged/repaired and the bonnet either misaligned or the seam could be too wide indicating a repair. The interior looks right for the mileage. Climate panel looks in good nick and drivers seat bolster not too bad. The handle on the glovebox seems to be missing. Price wise it's not bad for an 05 plate at a dealer. As always, check it out thoroughly if you're interested.

I might be selling mine very soon :(, will know in next few days so will keep you posted. If interested it is an '04 TDi sport with working OSS and mostly serviced by Skipton Autos.

I might be selling mine very soon :(, .

Sorry to read that Adrian, especially from a long serving member. Hope it doesn't come to pass, but if that's to be the case, hopefully a well cared for A2 will stay within the club. Have you ever had a car as long as this one? ;)- and any clues to what you're thinking about as a replacement?

PS - Sorry to OP for the thread swerve.

Back