Hello from Norfolk

James_d

Hi All,

My name is James and I've recently purchased a 2004 1.6FSI A2 (108k miles)
I've joined this forum as I would like to learn more and have a few issues, some of which I've rectified:

First issue which was the most alarming; on driving the car home from collecting the oil pressure symbol was flashing along with a beeping sound, was nearly home and couldn't easily stop so decided to keep driving as engine sounded normal to me, anyway on inspection the oil level was normal so I decided the replace the oil pressure switch on the head (looks like a low pressure one 0.5 bar?) this luckily has cured that problem, I'm guessing there must be a high pressure switch somewhere?

Car ran quite poorly so decided to change all the filters plus oil and spark plugs (I'm using Bosch 4 electrode plugs as these seem to be OE normally go for Iridiums)- 2 of the plugs had unscrewed themselves a little and none of them were in great condition, I've filled the car with 99RON E5 super unleaded and it runs much better but there's still some hunting at idle speed once warm.

On scanning the car there is a fault P0404 which is EGR range/performance, on closer inspection I've noticed the pipe from the exhaust manifold to the EGR valve has been deleted and blanked both ends, the plate on the EGR end is totally flat so I believe its stopping the butterfly valve from turning and causing the fault, having trouble finding an replacement pipe as it seems only engine code BAD uses it and all others are different.

had a water leak from the expansion tank cap but this was easily fixed with a new cap, there's also evidence of leaks from the metal pipes going to the throttle body and a Y pipe near there, I'm probably going to delete the pipe going to the throttle body as pipe seems unobtainable.

The latch that holds the front grill closed is broken so it can fall open/ be opened- second hands grills seen to start at £100

Water pump is noisy- its booked in Thursday for cambelt/water pump/aux belt as last cambelt was fitted in 2009! although to be fair belt doesn't look too bad

Parcel shelf is missing- looking for parts

Engine under tray is missing- looking for parts

Really happy with the car and am impressed with its performance (I've had a BMW 320i for 2 years that I've just sold) going from BMW its nice to look under a car and it not be rusty :)

My car also has an A2OC detail on the back so most likely previous owner was on here

Any input on the above items would be appreciated

James

As Steve_C said above, welcome aboard :)

For the latch, unless something is seriously broken, you maybe don't need the whole service flap, just the little finger that protrudes from it that the catch inside the engine bay holds in place. If the catch isn't extending from its housing, it can be lubricated with WD40 and worked back and forth until it does. One of our breakers should be able to help with any of the above parts.
@A2Steve @Clackers @Ami what do you have in stock?

I have fabricated an EGR bypass cover, will get a picture & put here possible on Saturday.

Welcome to a fellow FSI'er.
FSIs are the ultimate incarnation of the A2, you're a very lucky lad (although it may not seem that way occasionally).
What scanner tool did you use?
Mac.

Thanks for all the replies so far, loads of really useful advice.
I've (hopefully) attached a picture of the latch

20220209_163057.jpg
20220209_163241.jpg

Welcome to a fellow FSI'er.
FSIs are the ultimate incarnation of the A2, you're a very lucky lad (although it may not seem that way occasionally).
What scanner tool did you use?
Mac.
Thank you, I used a very basic Autel AL319 which only gives generic OBDII data and some basic live data. Will look at getting something VAG specific in the future though

I have fabricated an EGR bypass cover, will get a picture & put here possible on Saturday.
20220206_170409.jpg

Thank you, this is what I currently have. Also it has some splined bolts that I haven't come across before, done some searching are the called triple square?
James

Thank you, I used a very basic Autel AL319 which only gives generic OBDII data and some basic live data. Will look at getting something VAG specific in the future though
VCDS Lite is a VAG specific scan software (no FSI owner should be without it, and the basic version is free). A lead from eBay at under a tenner, and a Windows laptop, XP to 10/11 is the hardware. It can be (is) a pain to set up, as the lead is USB, but requires a USB/Serial driver. But it can be done, and worth the effort.
OBD Eleven is easy, install on a smart phone, and Bluetooth to the car. Slick and easy, but quite a few pennies. OBD Eleven is best if you have newer VAG cars, as VCDS Lite is pre 2006 only, so fine for A2s.
Mac.

Managed to get it working with the BMW CAN cable I had, only picked 2 modules up.
I have cleaned the air flow meter and I'm getting around 5 g/s at idle on a cold start but it is fluctuating a bit, so will see if code returns.
oddly it doesn't pick up the pending P0404 code I get on the Autel scanner for EGR performance
1.PNG

Back