Hello, looking for a TDi

t42

A2OC Donor
Hi all,

What a great little community you have here!
I'm currently driving a Smart Roadster but we're expecting our first offspring so the time has come to get a bigger car.

I've never driven or thoroughly explored an A2 but have always admired their slightly unusual nature (the same reason I joined the Roadie club who, as it happens, are a similarly friendly bunch). I'm hoping it'll be big enough for baby + paraphernalia...?!

My main question is whether a budget of up to £3k is wildly optimistic to get a decent TDi? Not looking for many bells & whistles, just a well maintained example.

I'm reading as much as I can about known issues and options available, but I was also wondering if there are any particularly enthusiastic owners in the Oxford/Thame/Woodstock area who would mind spending a few minutes showing me round their A2 and pointing out the useful stuff to look out for when going for viewings? I'm sure a thank-you pint or reciprocal poke around a Smart Roadster could be arranged... :)

Looking forward to being part of the club!

Tom

Hi all,

What a great little community you have here!
I'm currently driving a Smart Roadster but we're expecting our first offspring so the time has come to get a bigger car.

I've never driven or thoroughly explored an A2 but have always admired their slightly unusual nature (the same reason I joined the Roadie club who, as it happens, are a similarly friendly bunch). I'm hoping it'll be big enough for baby + paraphernalia...?!

My main question is whether a budget of up to £3k is wildly optimistic to get a decent TDi? Not looking for many bells & whistles, just a well maintained example.

I'm reading as much as I can about known issues and options available, but I was also wondering if there are any particularly enthusiastic owners in the Oxford/Thame/Woodstock area who would mind spending a few minutes showing me round their A2 and pointing out the useful stuff to look out for when going for viewings? I'm sure a thank-you pint or reciprocal poke around a Smart Roadster could be arranged... :)

Looking forward to being part of the club!

Tom

Hi,

I went from a Smart Roadster RCR (Number 05 of 50) to an A2 and it was a great move!!

Both cars are quite quirky (in a nice way) and they share many plusses!!!

Retrofitting options on a Smart is as easy as it is on an A2 (perhaps a little easier on the Smart) For example I fitted the trip computer to the Smart and it was a 30 minute job!!

You will like the A2 as much as the Smart, if not more, because the A2 has this great mix of being a bit unique but also VERY practical.

£3K should get you on the ladder with a nice tdi but don't be put off by high mileage, look for full service history, that is more important.

Nice to hear from other Smart Owners !!! They are GREAT little cars !!!!

I could show you around a couple of different A2s but I am near Heathrow.

Steve B

Last edited:
Hi all,

Hi Tom,

No matter how large the car, you can / will fill it with 'baby stuff' believe me. But the crucial bit is whether your choice of buggy/pram is small enough for whatever vehicle you own.

That aside, yes, I believe you could live with an A2.

If you have time to spare a good A2 TDi will come up at sub £3K, mine did with a good (high) spec, that had been looked after (no scratches / dents/ knackered upholstery). However it did take me six months. For a lesser spec or if you are willing to travel / move fast, your budget can get you what you desire.

Nick.

We went from a Smart forTwo to the A2 primarily because I didn't want another winter commuting up and down the M4. Plus the A2 has 5 seats. It seems the A2 is now our main car. The Beetle is a runaround for the other half.

A2 is definately big enough for all the baby stuff. Have managed to fit everything we need in ours.

Here you go , this one looks pretty good (I have no link to the seller)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1...1344381?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ed3c42b7d

That looks good indeed Terry. £3300 is very reasonable for a 7/04 TDi with 108k and the maintenance items this one has had recently. Only one item that stands out for me is what looks like tide marks on the lower rear seat squab. This could be simply from a spillage on the back seat at some point but worth checking the underfloor in the boot to assure the vents behind the bumper haven't failed and caused a leak.

Hi,

I went from a Smart Roadster RCR (Number 05 of 50) to an A2 and it was a great move!!

Both cars are quite quirky (in a nice way) and they share many plusses!!!

Retrofitting options on a Smart is as easy as it is on an A2 (perhaps a little easier on the Smart) For example I fitted the trip computer to the Smart and it was a 30 minute job!!

You will like the A2 as much as the Smart, if not more, because the A2 has this great mix of being a bit unique but also VERY practical.

£3K should get you on the ladder with a nice tdi but don't be put off by high mileage, look for full service history, that is more important.

Nice to hear from other Smart Owners !!! They are GREAT little cars !!!!

I could show you around a couple of different A2s but I am near Heathrow.

Steve B

Hi Steve,
Likewise, nice to hear from another like-minded Smart/A2 enthusiast!
Mine's a Brabus Coupe, great fun to drive! I'm planning on keeping the Roadster as ultimately we'll need two cars.
I often fly out of Heathrow for work so will check if I'm due to go out from there again any time soon...

Hi Tom,

No matter how large the car, you can / will fill it with 'baby stuff' believe me. But the crucial bit is whether your choice of buggy/pram is small enough for whatever vehicle you own.

That aside, yes, I believe you could live with an A2.

If you have time to spare a good A2 TDi will come up at sub £3K, mine did with a good (high) spec, that had been looked after (no scratches / dents/ knackered upholstery). However it did take me six months. For a lesser spec or if you are willing to travel / move fast, your budget can get you what you desire.

Nick.
Hi Nick,
Thanks for the advice. I also thought it would be wise to get the car before the buggy/pram (also it definitely won't fit in the Smart!).
I have cash waiting so could move fast if required. However, I travel quite a lot for work, meaning I may be in the right area to look at a car or, more likely, not at all close or even out of the country. I guess I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled and check the Spotted section regularly...

We went from a Smart forTwo to the A2 primarily because I didn't want another winter commuting up and down the M4. Plus the A2 has 5 seats. It seems the A2 is now our main car. The Beetle is a runaround for the other half.
Another Smart->A2 convert! Pleased to meet you. :)

A2 is definately big enough for all the baby stuff. Have managed to fit everything we need in ours.
Good to know, thanks Steve.

Here you go , this one looks pretty good (I have no link to the seller)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A2-1...1344381?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item2ed3c42b7d

Got a detachable tow bar as well if the cars not big enough
". I'm hoping it'll be big enough for baby + paraphernalia...?!"
Thanks for the tip-off. It's a bit of a drive from Oxford but I might be up that way next week so I'll bear it in mind. The towbar could come in handy!
Please keep the suggestions coming! :D
I'll figure out how to donate and post a proper Wanted ad shortly.

Or this if a 90's a consideration.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A2-1...7296762?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3ce3a5447a

Although both the suggested cars are 'up North' it might be an option to have an RAC/AA type inspection carried out if either appeals (my find says that delivery's available too.)

Thanks, I'd spotted that one earlier but the distance put me off a bit. A 90 is certainly a consideration (I don't know enough about the differences to have an opinion at this stage!). Seems like a good price for a dealer '05 plate though.

Differences

Thanks, I'd spotted that one earlier but the distance put me off a bit. A 90 is certainly a consideration (I don't know enough about the differences to have an opinion at this stage!). Seems like a good price for a dealer '05 plate though.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/111003/content.shtml should reveal the main differences between the 75 and 90; although I'm sure other members who've experienced both models will tell you a lot more.

As you say, the 90 is quite a distance from you but, if you could have it inspected and found it was as good as it appears from the ad, the dealer does say that delivery could be arranged.

http://www.audiworld.com/news/03/111003/content.shtml should reveal the main differences between the 75 and 90; although I'm sure other members who've experienced both models will tell you a lot more.

As you say, the 90 is quite a distance from you but, if you could have it inspected and found it was as good as it appears from the ad, the dealer does say that delivery could be arranged.

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I read that the 90 was a little more prone to failure in a couple of areas (clutch & turbo?), although can't find the thread now. Coming from a 'sports' car the extra BHP is definitely appealing. :D

I also saw mention of a buyer's guide. Is this available to download/view somewhere?

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I read that the 90 was a little more prone to failure in a couple of areas (clutch & turbo?), although can't find the thread now. Coming from a 'sports' car the extra BHP is definitely appealing. :D

I also saw mention of a buyer's guide. Is this available to download/view somewhere?

HI,

You will find that the fact the 90 has a "variable" turbo and a dual mass flywheel will put a few people off, but if you have driven a 90 then you will see that it is entirely worth it.

There are thousands of parts that can break on a car 1002 doesn't seem to be that scary.
Having said that, it can be quite expensive if these go, but there is no real history of them being a weak link.

We have a 90 and three 75s in the family and the 90 drives very differently to the 75s and it is a surprise as to just how much more powerful the 90 feels!

So I would not recommend test driving a 90 before you test drive a 75, or you may become a 90 fan.

As it is I like 75s and 90s equally, but for different reasons (if that makes sense?)

Steve B

I'm an owner of a 90. Yes, there are components on this engine which can fail and don't appear on the 75 - however at the risk of tempting fate we are at 10 years 2 months old and 93k miles and the only 'problem' so far is issues with the climate control.

You've also the advantage of a car weighing a tickle over a metric tonne remapped to something like 119BHP and 235lb of torque.

The buyers guide is a lengthy email I've written so I'll forward this. I had some plans to add/link photos and post it to the buying/wanted sections -I'll maybe get round to it one day!

HI,

You will find that the fact the 90 has a "variable" turbo and a dual mass flywheel will put a few people off, but if you have driven a 90 then you will see that it is entirely worth it.

There are thousands of parts that can break on a car 1002 doesn't seem to be that scary.
Having said that, it can be quite expensive if these go, but there is no real history of them being a weak link.

We have a 90 and three 75s in the family and the 90 drives very differently to the 75s and it is a surprise as to just how much more powerful the 90 feels!

So I would not recommend test driving a 90 before you test drive a 75, or you may become a 90 fan.

As it is I like 75s and 90s equally, but for different reasons (if that makes sense?)

Steve B

I'm an owner of a 90. Yes, there are components on this engine which can fail and don't appear on the 75 - however at the risk of tempting fate we are at 10 years 2 months old and 93k miles and the only 'problem' so far is issues with the climate control.

You've also the advantage of a car weighing a tickle over a metric tonne remapped to something like 119BHP and 235lb of torque.

The buyers guide is a lengthy email I've written so I'll forward this. I had some plans to add/link photos and post it to the buying/wanted sections -I'll maybe get round to it one day!

Thanks for the 75 vs 90 advice. Of course there are many things that can go wrong with any car (I'm used to highly strung Smart Roadsters having their fair share). I'm concious of not being too picky given the budget and time limitations, but a 90 sounds more appealing at the moment.

Thanks Murdo for the email, that's my lunchtime reading sorted.

Well, I put a deposit down on an A2 today. I guess that makes me officially part of the club! :D

It's a light blue '52 plate 75 TDi with 142k miles. Needs a good clean and a new rear speaker grille, but otherwise seems pretty sound. It has front fogs, illuminated vanity mirrors, ECC and maybe a few other options that I haven't had the pleasure of discovering yet.

Birchall - it's only a few miles down the road from you, in Laleham. In fact, I think I saw one of your white A2's ("A2" reg plate) while taking it for a test drive; near the Ashford Rd/Kingston Rd mini roundabout at about 4:30ish.

Birchall - it's only a few miles down the road from you, in Laleham. In fact, I think I saw one of your white A2's ("A2" reg plate) while taking it for a test drive; near the Ashford Rd/Kingston Rd mini roundabout at about 4:30ish.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the A2.

Yes that would have been my wife, we both have an A2 reg, but I have been in preparing my A2 for tomorrows show at Billing all afternoon.

Your car sounds great, looking forward to seeing pictures of it and lots of questions from you, we LIKE questions!!!

Steve B

Reactions: t42
Welcome to the wonderful world of the A2.

Yes that would have been my wife, we both have an A2 reg, but I have been in preparing my A2 for tomorrows show at Billing all afternoon.

Your car sounds great, looking forward to seeing pictures of it and lots of questions from you, we LIKE questions!!!

Steve B

I thought the driver looked a bit too female to be you!
Have fun tomorrow. I wish I could make it and see the progress you've made with yours.

I'll post some pics when I get it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions soon!

Pictures!
I have a few 'new owner' questions that I'll post in a separate thread.

Edit: It also looks like it's been adapted to be towed behind a motorhome as there are a couple of holes and a funny metal bracket in the front bumper. Does anyone else have this? Wondering if it was factory- or retro-fitted.

IMG_20140809_172111.jpg IMG_20140809_172119.jpg IMG_20140809_172130.jpg

Last edited:
Back