HELP!!! Heated Mirrors

qwerty

Hi,
I got a 04 petrol A2 which doesn't have heated wing mirrors originally. So I bought the heated ones from Sheffield Audi. But when I turn on the demister button, only the passenger side mirror and the rear window heats up. The driver side remains cool. So I ask the stealer whats going on there. They said the car wasn't originally fitted with heated mirrors and they can't make it work. Can anyone here help?

Thanks a lot
qwerty:)

Firstly check its working by plugging it into the side that works if you dont have any testing equipment. That way you will know which bit is working or not. If it does not work take it back and get a replacement.
Assuming its working then its a little more complicated you will need to remove the door card to check the wiring and connections.

Hi,
I got a 04 petrol A2 which doesn't have heated wing mirrors originally. So I bought the heated ones from Sheffield Audi. But when I turn on the demister button, only the passenger side mirror and the rear window heats up. The driver side remains cool. So I ask the stealer whats going on there. They said the car wasn't originally fitted with heated mirrors and they can't make it work. Can anyone here help?

Thanks a lot
qwerty:)

Each heated mirror contains a bimetallic switch so that the mirror only heats up when the exterior temperature is below 8C or so. Therefore it is possible that your passenger mirror bimetallic switch could be just below this temperature threshold value and therefore active and your drivers mirror could be too warm and therefore not active. Try sticking the mirror in the freezer for 5 minutes and plug in again!

Cheers Rob.

I've had the same Problem with mine since I brought it, the passenger mirror has never worked but drivers does, I've removed the glass and the wires were connected but i never looked into it any further, it's the passenger one I use the most as well!!

Tried to stick the driver side mirror into freezer and put in the passenger side, it works, but it still doesnt work if i put it back in the driver side. Can anyone help??
Much appreciated

Tried to stick the driver side mirror into freezer and put in the passenger side, it works, but it still doesnt work if i put it back in the driver side. Can anyone help??
Much appreciated

Hi, the next step would be to measure for a voltage from the connector when the mirrors are turned on, using a voltmeter. With the connectors been outside they can suffer from corrosion so check for this - you can clean them up if you get a file small enough to stick in the connector. Also, find out if the two mirrors are on the same fuse, if not check the fuse. Otherwise, your next step will probably be to take the door card off and check connectors within the car.

Cheers Rob.

Each heated mirror contains a bimetallic switch so that the mirror only heats up when the exterior temperature is below 8C or so. Therefore it is possible that your passenger mirror bimetallic switch could be just below this temperature threshold value and therefore active and your drivers mirror could be too warm and therefore not active. Try sticking the mirror in the freezer for 5 minutes and plug in again!

Cheers Rob.

Well this isn't the case i think on all as mine work when it rain's and i want to clear them i just put the rear screen on and it clears the mirrors and last night the temp was 13 degrees and they cleared, i think what is the case is it works with the winter pack and i think they come on auto when the temp is low enough not 100% though but mine work when the temp is well over 10 degrees

Phil

Ahh right, I may have under estimated the temperature but they've all got a bi- metallic element in them. The sun shining directly on a mirror could obviously make quite a difference to one element and not another hence why you can get occasions when only one mirror will come on.

Cheers Rob.

Ahh right, I may have under estimated the temperature but they've all got a bi- metallic element in them.

I don't think A2 heated mirrors have this feature. I've seen A6 mirrors and they have the control module (about 1cm3) integrated into the back of the mirror but the A2 ones don't have this. Problem with the temp dependent design is that when the module fails, the mirrors stay on all the time and the element burns out.

More info here - http://www.a2oc.net/forum/showthread.php?15666-Heated-mirrors-not-working&p=118658#post118658

Cheers Spike

Doesn't got a blown fuse, but can't check voltage coz I dont have a voltmeter! But the driver side mirror actually works when I gave the stealer to try it on a bench.

Back