Help Please FSI cut out and now non start! OBDII Linking Error

S2Dicky

Well I knew it was to early to count my chickens when she had just started running nicely....

Got a call from the wife, she started fine drove 100 yards and stopped at a junction and that was it cut out and wouldn't start again. She said engine turning over fine just won't catch and start.

So I came home from work early and tried both keys and same thing turning over but not starting.

Plugged in the OBD reader and just getting

Tried it a few times and same thing, check the OBD fuse and that's fine?

Checked under the bonnet and nothing obvious, all looked ok.

Disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and this made no difference other than the remotes have stopped working.

Last weekend I fitted a new coil and repaired the wiring to said coil and cleaned up the two earth points. Since then done about 70 miles and she has been running the best ever since getting her.

Please any help would be great, why the linking error always worked before.

The code reader error may be unrelated.
But if you hadn't said that you have checked the relevant fuse in the A2s fusebox I would have suspected a blown fuse.
But it does sound like a wiring problem. Can you check to see if the coil is getting power with thr ignition on?

steve B

try turning the engine over with a soark plug in one of the HT leads with the plug body touching an earth to see if you are getting a spark

Cheers for that Steve, just come back in and found that the 20a fuse in position 20 had blow this is for engine timing, ignition coils.

So I replaced it and looked at the coil that I changed the other day and noticed the rubber that seals on the plug looked slightly melted? When I touched it it deformed slightly so must have got really hot?

This is the original one, not sure how long it has been on

This is the new one that has been on for 70 miles

Put the old coil back in and went to start it and same thing turns over and wouldn't start and it blew the same 20a fuse again...

Where do I look now?

Exactly.

If you have made changes / improvements to the wiring and fuses are blowing then one of the live wires is shorting out somewhere.

If you have tried both coils and the result is the same, then you can probably discount them as the cause, at least for now.

Trace the wiring as far back as possible too, not just at the end you worked on.

Steve B

Right I'm out playing with it at the moment and have it started, it is the wiring/connectors?

I have put the old coil back in and I have a misfire on cylinder 2 16686 code and the random 16684.

What order are the cylinders in so I chase the right one?

Are they 1-4 near side to offside or the other way round?

Cheers in advance, and thanks for the help so far as now we are running at no cost which is a start

Cheers for that, I am guessing that's as I look under the bonnet and not sitting in the driver seat?

Cheers for that, I am guessing that's as I look under the bonnet and not sitting in the driver seat?

I am trying to not respond with "that depends on if you are working on the engine from the driver's seat or from under the bonnet".
But I know what you mean, some manufacturers use left and right in different ways!

Steve B

Quick update she is running again and very nicely too. I will give a full update with photos later I case in helps someone else later down the line.

Cheers for the help

Last edited:
Right things I found out is that the OBDII port wouldn't work with a blown fuse for the ignition coils, changed the fuse didn't try and start and we had diagnostics, not that they were any help at this point.

Next checked the 3rd coil loom which I had previously fixed and all good still?

Starting stripping the loom tape back to figure out this problem first I found this, didn't look like it was shorting on anything but insulated it all the same.

I had all the coil packs out to look at them, put them back tightened the oil filler thing while of that sits much tighter now. Gave it a crank over and she jumped into life but now running so well, bit of a knock and misfire.....

The car now showed to fault codes

So after firming up which was cylinder 2 checked thought I will stick the new coil pack in there, while changing I realised that someone had twisted that plug through 360 degrees so winding the loom together, when I undid this I found two nasty little breaks in the loom that were shorting together, so insulated these and stuck the new coil in.

Well she then started fine sounded really sweet cleared the codes and they didn't come back. Went for a 12 mile test drive and she pulled well and did what they say on the packet and put a smile on my face.

Cheers for all the replies and help guys, I hope I can throw my two pennies worth in and help others in the future.

PS I am about to order some loom tape to tidy up under there.

Last edited:
I am so pleased that it looks like you have solved a few problems and all is working as it should.

I really hope that it stays running well for you now, I am sure it wil.

Steve B

Back