Help please, with changing headlights.

Emma

I may be just being stupid but I'm getting fed up. Changed my headlight over but now can't get this thread, nearest bonnet to grip. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.
PXL_20210725_191201315.jpg

Evening Emma,

I can understand your frustration as this is supposed to be a very simple task.

You should be able to see the thread to line the Torx bolt up through the aperture where you drop this bolt into.

The 2 bolts involved with removing the headlight are different lengths, could you possible have somehow place the longer bolt in the top leaving the shorter bolt for the deeper hole and it’s not quite long enough. This is just a thought as I’m not outside with tools to see if there is any logic to this.

Kind regards,

Tom

I've put the old light back in with the same bolt and it's fine, the other light must be different somehow but I can't see it, looks the same. Now can't get the bonnet on!

I may be just being stupid but I'm getting fed up. Changed my headlight over but now can't get this thread, nearest bonnet to grip. Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Later headlights (probably the majority of them) require a longer bolt than the early ones. The later bolt has 50mm of thread, compared to the earlier ones at 40mm.

It caught me out the first time too.

I need some bolts. Thanks at least I wasn't being daft. Bonnet is now on too. Anyone got any bolts? ? Thanks so much for your help.

Emma was Steve correct bolt not long enough if so I may have a spare original 50mm pm me your postal address and i will post to you

Later headlights (probably the majority of them) require a longer bolt than the early ones. The later bolt has 50mm of thread, compared to the earlier ones at 40mm.

It caught me out the first time too.
Great resolution Steve,

I never knew there was a difference in bolt length on the different generation of headlights. Spot on answer which will see @Emma solve this issue.

Kind regards,

Tom

So grateful this group exists ? I wouldn't have the confidence to go near doing anything on my car without it and all the step by step instructions. Thank you so much.

Can you swap the big plastic hexagonal nut that is underneath the long headlight screw? If the earlier shorter bolts also have the shorter hexagonal plastic nut fit these onto the later headlights and use the existing shorter bolts. Whatever solution you end up with you will need to have the lights adjusted correctly by a garage.

Try to measure the plastic nut ( sorry do not have an early headlight myself to check ). If shorter by about 10mm then go for the swap. Certainly the later ones just unscrew not sure about the early ones.

Can you swap the big plastic hexagonal nut that is underneath the long headlight screw? If the earlier shorter bolts also have the shorter hexagonal plastic nut fit these onto the later headlights and use the existing shorter bolts. Whatever solution you end up with you will need to have the lights adjusted correctly by a garage.
They felt like they were fixed but I was a bit scared of breaking something.

I know they do come off the later ones as have removed them myself. As said do not have an old style one to check. They generally are never touched so do tend to feel very stiff.

If you have an old style one perhaps post a good picture of just that area of the headlight say one from above and one from the front. Measure the height of the old against the new to see if this will possibly be the easier solution.

The old one is back on the car now and staying there for a while ? it looked like the same design, longer bolts sounds easier to me unless they turn out to be a rarity.

Some pictures of the hexagonal nut.

IMG_20210725_212419.jpg

30.6mm is the height of the hexagonal block
IMG_20210725_212628.jpg

Block unscrewed from the headlight.

Try to measure the plastic nut ( sorry do not have an early headlight myself to check ). If shorter by about 10mm then go for the swap. Certainly the later ones just unscrew not sure about the early ones.

What you describe as a plastic nut is actually the head of a hollow plastic bolt, and these are designed to lock into place once fitted. The early short bolts had no means of adjustment whatever, and attempting to remove them will almost certainly result in breaking the tab at the bottom of the headlight unit that they screw into.

The later, longer version included a degree of adjustment to make assembly easier, but again, the bolts were designed to be held in place permanently, and removing them is not recommended. Forcing them out may simply damage the locking element built into the bolt, but may also break off the whole assembly from the headlight unit.

Whichever version of the headlight unit you have, providing you do not attempt to adjust it, the lights should install with very good alignment from the get-go, and you simply need the correct length retaining bolt to secure it.

Already made it crystal clear I did not have an early style headlight to check myself, hence the request for pictures. As for the later type the plastic hexagonal nut IS AN ADJUSTER, it is not locked and have used them in the past to align the inner edge as per the manual...

The plastic hollow nut is not interchangable between old and new type headlight as they have different threads.

What I have done many times is to cut 5mm of the plastic nut; then the bolt will fit.

And do not worry about light alignment; had never been a problem. Park the car towards a wall and verify that the lights are fairly aligned with eachother

Back